trangia fuel mix?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've heard of that also, and I believe the Trangia website has the exact mixture. (But don't quote me)

Myself, I use industrial meths for mine and I've had no need to add water to it. I've also heard that adding water to the fuel reduces sooting of pots, but with industrial meths I've never had that problem.

I wouldn't recommend adding petrol or naptha to the burner because I think it's just too much heat for that little brass burner that we all know and love.

I hope this helps.

Adam

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
This is far from scientific however it works for me ;)

You all know the normal plastic bottles, that meths comes in, empty the meths into whatever container you use to carry in the woods, then add enough water into the empty meths bottle just to the first indentation of the bottle. Then add that amount of water to your meths container.

Have a look and it will become rather apparent wot I'm waffling about :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I had heard about adding a little water and it seems to keep the pans cleaner. One thing to be careful of though, remember which bottle you have added water to! I mentioned it to a scouter and he said yes good idea until everyone adds 10% water to the meths, by sixth person there isnt a lot of meths in the water! :lmao:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
It makes sense to add the 10% water to your meths bottle. The official Trangia bottle is fantastic, but I find it hard to know how much meths is in there, so I just add a dash of water straight into the burner. The only thing you have to bear in mind with this is that sometimes the water seems to "sit" on top of the meths in the burner so it's hard to take a spark / match. If this happens swirling it around or adding another dash of meths on top seems to do the trick.

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Adding water to the meths in a Trangia, does reduce sooting. However, since the meths now has to boil both the water in the pot, (desirable), plus the water in the meths, (undesirable), fuel consumption is greater. I've always found that cleaning the bottoms of the pans immediately after use, means there is no soot buildup. Cooking with a dirty bottom (!) leads to a soot buildup which is much harder to remove.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
All my cookware also gets used on campfires, so it's all black already... What's the big deal?

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
gregorach said:
All my cookware also gets used on campfires, so it's all black already... What's the big deal?

Just that soot buildup means worse heat transmission. Not so much of a worry on a big roaring fire, but on the Trangia you want to maximise the energy use from the meths. So less soot = quicker heating.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Does it really make a noticeable difference? Colour me suprised...

I mean, I can see it in theory, but in practice I'd've thought it would be a very minor effect - much less than, say, the effect of diluting your meths by 10%. But then, I have been known to be completely wrong before. ;)

I should probably say that I've never actually owned or used a trangia.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I've used them for about 20 years on and off, with water/without, on meths/different spirits and with both black & clan pans.

Never noticed any difference.

But then despite being a big lad, I've never waited on my lunch with a stopwatch.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Can't say I've measured the difference, or could say whether it's significant or not. But the more energy I can get out of the meths the better, plus I'm naturally a clean and tidy person!

Not sure what the water actually does, but I presume it's a benefit not a hindrance. Less soot implies cleaner flame, which implies hotter. But I'm sure there's some clever chemistry behind the real reasons.

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
I doubt that the flame is hotter because the meths has also had to evaporate the water. Since the flame now contains steam, or more correctly water vapour, it is more likely to be an interaction between the steam and the soot.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
mark a. said:
Less soot implies cleaner flame, which implies hotter.

On the contary, a sooty flame has a greater radiant heat and is therefore hotter :22:

I also believe the soot build up on the pan, despite having a very negligible effect, would actually absorb the heat more and have a greater, more 'positive' effect on heat transfer.

However this said soot build up on the actual burner ring would no doubt reduce its effectiveness by a restricting the vapour release.

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
scruff said:
On the contary, a sooty flame has a greater radiant heat and is therefore hotter :22:

I also believe the soot build up on the pan, despite having a very negligible effect, would actually absorb the heat more and have a greater, more 'positive' effect on heat transfer.

However this said soot build up on the actual burner ring would no doubt reduce its effectiveness by a restricting the vapour release.

A sooty flame is evidence of unburnt fuel, so the overall efficiency of the burning process is less. Plus some of the energy is lost as light, rather than as heat which being radiated in all directions reduces the transfer of heat to the pan.

I think that the soot on the pan will absorb some of the radiant heat, but will slow down the rate of water heating. After all, it is the water in the pan we want to heat, not the soot on it.

As Phil562 said, this could get a bit involved, so perhaps I'll take my anorak off, but can I leave my glasses with the sellotape around the broken arm on? : :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE