Trangia burner shootout - Military v Civvi...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
RovingArcher said:
Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing it.

I don't know much about the trangia stoves, so I'd like to ask, would the extended storage of the military version cause tarnish? If so, would tarnish affect how efficiently the stove works?

I dont think there are any problems of that nature with either burners. But I havent been using them for long, so maybe someone with more experience with them can comment better.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Around these parts (in Snowdonia) I've seen the civvi burner alone go for more than £20!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Wow, I bought my mess kit for 9 £. And got a pot, lid, fuel bottle, windshield and burner. :roll: :wink: I'm sure they're cheaper in Sweden, but it's still a bargain over here! :D

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Hey Martyn, did you manage to see how much fuel was used by each. I wonder if the faster civvi model burns more fuel = hotter flame?

Also is the military model of a thicker metal? Perhaps this might affect the `heatup` time, like a preheater on a gas stove?
Just my thoughts.

excellent post/pics tho mate :biggthump

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
SquirrelBoy said:
Hey Martyn, did you manage to see how much fuel was used by each. I wonder if the faster civvi model burns more fuel = hotter flame?

Also is the military model of a thicker metal? Perhaps this might affect the `heatup` time, like a preheater on a gas stove?
Just my thoughts.

excellent post/pics tho mate :biggthump

I had wondered the same and thought of doing a test with burn time, over a measured 20 mls of fuel each and just leave em till they go out.

I think the faster civvi model is only faster because it warms up to "gas ring" quicker. Once both burners are hot and working to thier best, they seem pretty evenly matched. The both took 3.5 mins to boil 250mls from hot, which would support this.

I'm sure it's the fuel capacity, size and wall thickness which accounts for the slower heat up time of the military model.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Now you've got me wondering about how much better it would be using pre-heating paste or by spilling a little meths around the ring ... hmmmmmmmmm

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
What is interesting Adi, was that this was all done in ambient temperatures with no wind, yet the warm up time difference was massive. Everyone knows the performance of these stoves suffers in the cold, but i wonder how much longer the military stove would take to warm up in freezing consitions? It way well be that cold weather could exagerate this difference even more.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Martyn said:
Everyone knows the performance of these stoves suffers in the cold, but i wonder how much longer the military stove would take to warm up in freezing consitions? It way well be that cold weather could exagerate this difference even more.
Gary done a test with Greenheat that he put in the firdge freezer... how about chilling the stoves ?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Interesting thread Martyn ,i've been meaning to do a similar test myself and to include the Stainless version or the Military Trangia.
The biggest advantage the civi trangia has over the Military one is the fact that the burner is raised.
The Military stove will burn the surface it sit's on while the Civi version does not.
I've used mine in tents ,camper vans ,boats ,cars and they never cause damage but i only use the military versions outside.
I have been burning surgical spirit in mine and they burn much cleaner and don't smell as bad which is nice if im using it as a heater in the tent.

rb

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Adi007 said:
Now you've got me wondering about how much better it would be using pre-heating paste or by spilling a little meths around the ring ... hmmmmmmmmm
I've been doing that - significantly reduces the time it takes to get the burner up to speed

Also, it depends on how full the burner is, cos when it's very full it takes an age to heat up

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
This is a very interesting thread indeed. I'm sure that a meths burner is both easier to light than hexy under pretty much all conditions and that it will be better than trying to use gas, but the difference is interesting. From now on I shall be pre-heating the burner.

As an aside, the best performance I've had from the trangia is when used as a burner for a kelly kettle!

... I still love it though!

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
rapidboy said:
The biggest advantage the civi trangia has over the Military one is the fact that the burner is raised.
Does this mean the `ring` is closer to the pan too - could make a difference :?:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Viking said:
If you keep the burner and fuel close to your body before, it will already be warmed and will probably heat up a lot faster (another thing that you do in the winter).
As far as I'm concerned, letting a metal object touch the skin, cools down the body and takes up energy...? In Essential Bushcraft it says that aluminium has a rate of conducted heat loss on 9,300. :shock: Water has up to 25. :wink: Just to compare.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Is the Military one made of thicker material than the civilian one??
(I have never looked at a civilian one?) if so the extra thickness will mean it takes longer to heat the inner chamber?? also the higher the fuel level the longer it will take as the lower the level is, the longer the flame so therefore more heat???

Just a thought?? :roll:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
TheViking said:
As far as I'm concerned, letting a metal object touch the skin, cools down the body and takes up energy...? In Essential Bushcraft it says that aluminium has a rate of conducted heat loss on 9,300. :shock: Water has up to 25. :wink: Just to compare.

You don´t carry it next to your skin, just close to your body, that way it will keep the burner warm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE