Trangia 27 - 6 HA Questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
I've used a Trangia for more years than I care to remember, both the Swedish Military and also the Civi 25. I'm now looking to downsize and lighten the load a little as I do a lot more walking than camping. I'd like to stay with a Trangia and have been looking at the 27 - 6 HA as it seems to suit my requirements perfectly. Does anyone on here have one?, Would they reccomend it? Or are there any alternatives that people would suggest?
Cheers
Bhod

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I have a Trangia 27-2 UL with kettle.. i bought the Go system gas burner for it.. transforms the trangia into a really efficient stove. I keep the meths burner as back up.. and changed the ali fry pan for a cheap non stick one :)

Trangia's are great stoves.. a little weighty but nowt much can go wrong with them.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
If I'm solo it's the Mini Trangia for me, swapped out their pot for a MRS Titan Kettle.

Don't know why (as I have no experience of them), but the mini Trangia windshield design has always put me off for some reason. Is it as effective as the "normal" 2 piece windshield?

I suppose it would help people better with their suggestions/recommendations if they knew my requirements -

Trangia 27 - 4 HA =

Fairly lightweight <1kg - Not the lightest out there I know but peformance to weight ratio is excellent
Non-stick pans - Non-stick just a personal preference rather than any given reason
Suitable for 1 person or occasionally 1+1 - Primarily for my own use but occasionally would need use for two people
Self contained - Easily packed and stowed
Suitable for walking or longer trip use - Needed to heat premade food/water while walking but able to cook food from scratch while camping
Stable base - Not a fan of top heavy cookers ie jetboils, probably why I've shied away from the mini Trangia

Cheers
Bhod

Last edited:

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
The mini trangia wind shield is no where near as effective as the classic one, though weight and bulk savings are significant.
Effectively it's a pot stand - a separate foil wind shield would help whilst maintaining the benefits of less weight / bulk.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you can live without the non-stick pans & the kettle, this is a good setup (w/s is upside down in pic.). Bigger pans, substatially cheaper & lighter (by about 400g) than the T27.
I have both and this is my 'go to'.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have the 27 set with hard anodising. I haven't had it long enough to really form an opinion of its durability but it's very nice so far.

I would recommend replacing the stand pot gripper with something that won't scratch the pans.

I got the trangia burner too but I have never really used an alcohol stove before (generally open fires or gas) but it's very nice.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
If you were satisfied with the T25, chances are great that you will like the T27. A nice piece of kit that will serve you well, imo

Greger

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have a mini trangia with the non-stick 'frying pan'. Overall its a nice bit of kit but the the non stick coating is now badly scratched on it due to the metal parts moving around and rubbing inside. The supplied plastic cover wore through in no time and i've replaced with a bit of 2mm silicone sheeting. I'd recommend doing the same if you get the 27 set.

Tonyuk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
.... but the the non stick coating is now badly scratched on it due to the metal parts moving around and rubbing inside. The supplied plastic cover wore through in no time and i've replaced with a bit of 2mm silicone sheeting. I'd recommend doing the same if you get the 27 set.

I find kitchen roll to be usefull stuff when I'm out & about but the roll is an awkward and bulky thing and generally has far more paper on it than I'm likely to need. I have found that by putting a couple of leaves, folded, between the various elements of a Trangia or similar cookset, I can take more than enough to meet my needs for say, a weekend, without it taking up any extra space and with the added bonus of it stopping the pans etc rubbing together.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Well looks like my mind is made up, thanks for the input guys, defo going for a T27 which particular set I don't know yet as it appears that the 27 6 HA isn't available here in the UK for some reason. I think I might have to compromise and go for the ULHA which doesn't give me the non-stick pans but hey ho can't have everything in life. Now need to find somewhere local'ish that stocks them so I can have a looksee before I pull the trigger and buy.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
If ya worried about damaging the non stick coating. Call in pound shop for a plastic chopping board.. cut it out to same size as fry pan base.. drill holes in one side and use as a strainer & chopping board. Saves the fry pan base getting damaged in transport as well.

I use a tea towel in between pots.. stop them banging together.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Trangias have what they call Multidisc
202477359_ac098d66-6c33-4bdc-b883-aec5c1486a2d.jpg

Last edited:

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
I have the 27-8 ul ha, bought a replacement non stick fry pan and the multi disc drainer. Beauty of the multidisc is not only will it drain your pasta, it stores inside the fry pan lid thus protecting it from the usual trangia fry pan scuffing. I also upgraded the burner to gas, it stores neatly inside the kettle (including the little gas stove bag). Have had it for around 6 years and being a complete gear freak, this is one item I have not felt the need to upgrade (tried loads of stoves before this kit). Granted it's not the lightest of kits available, but most of the uber light kits comprise of the most minimalist of cooking kit and limited cooking options, which for me, I find cooking a decent dinner is worth the small penalty on weight (i traded off the weight penalty on the trangia by getting a lighter weight sleeping system :) )

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE