Few questions about trangia duossal 27

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
Evening folks.

I bought an unused duossal 27 from ebay last year (I paid for it mind... big time) and have only used it about 6 or 7 times. I was fishing on Saturday morning and was making a brew (first one from the Trangia in months) and I was reminded that once I have boiled the water and added it to the cup with the tea bag, it seems to froth up a bit and turns a bit a scummy. Not only this but there is an odd taste to it too. There is also vertical wrinkles that run for the top lip of the pan to bottom surface on both of the larger pans. Can anybody confirm these are normal characteristics of a duossal?

I'm starting to wonder if I've been had as the chap selling it told me he had a few more and I know how rare these things are...

Apart from the funny wrinkles the quality is fantastic.

A bit of clarification or a few answers would be most appreciated.

Jake

Last edited:

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
QLSBT9.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Image overload, but there are the wrinkles...

To be honest I was a bit surprised there were any wrinkles when I got it. It looked like the stove might be seconds or something.

I've scrubbed it and it's brewing now.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
This might be because of the way the duossal material was made. Two bits of material (Stainless and something else?) were pressed together and bonded under that pressure, the machine that done this could very well of left those marks on the surface. As for the froth and taste try giving it a good wash and scrub to see if that helps, it might be a coating that was left on after production.

Tonyuk

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I'll take a look at my duossal pots this evening to see about the wrinkles - when first I read your post that sounded wrong, but maybe I just never looked closely enough. Your pictures are very good for comparison purposes.

As for taste and scum - that's definitely not normal. I've never experienced that from Duossal or any other Trangia pot. These pots are easily tough enough to take a hard scouring, so try that first.

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies chaps. Very helpful. If you could take a look at the pots that would brilliant. I've given one of them a good scrub and made a brew in a similar cup (old plastic thermos cup) I experienced the bubbles and scum in and the tea was fine. It just seems odd that I experienced that at all. It seems like too much of a coincidence for it to be something in the cup (as I remember it happening on more than one occasion ) plus you would have thought after an initial wash and about 6 or 7 uses (i think) any residue would have long gone.

Jake

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I bought an unused duossal 27 from ebay last year (I paid for it mind... big time) and have only used it about 6 or 7 times. I was fishing on Saturday morning and was making a brew (first one from the Trangia in months) and I was reminded that once I have boiled the water and added it to the cup with the tea bag, it seems to froth up a bit and turns a bit a scummy. Not only this but there is an odd taste to it too.

Yeah, I used to use those tea bags. Try leaf tea. :)

There is also vertical wrinkles that run for the top lip of the pan to bottom surface on both of the larger pans. Can anybody confirm these are normal characteristics of a duossal?

Confirmed. I have an old Duossal 25 and it's much the same, although it sounds as if the effect might be more pronounced on your 27 than on my 25, which might not be surprising as the pans are a bit larger.

If you look at the frying pan you'll probably see that the effect is far less pronounced. It's just a consequence of the very deep draw when pressing the pan out of a flat sheet of steel/aluminium sandwich.

I'm starting to wonder if I've been had as the chap selling it told me he had a few more and I know how rare these things are...

Apart from the funny wrinkles the quality is fantastic.

Yes it is good kit, and no I don't think you have anything to worry about (except the tea bags). Yes, it is surprising to see anyone with a few of them, they are indeed hard to get hold of nowadays.

I've never experienced anything like you describe when using the pans, but then I don't generally use them to boil water for tea as I have the kettle too. :)

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Ok, checked my two duossal sets and the effect is in evidence in all the pots to some degree. More on the 27 set, but also slightly on the 25. Possibly its not as pronounced on the 25 because it's been used more in the last 14 years or so!

In any case your pot seems kosher.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
The wrinkles are what caused Trangia to drop the production in the first place. The precentage of pots that went in the bin was too high. Claims are that Hard Anodized are as hard wearing as stainless but I doubt it.
Trivia: The Finnish Army requested thousands of new Trangias in duossal maybe two years ago. Meaning Trangia made a limited run of new pots, so I guess they, (the Finnish Army) found them to be the most hard wearing. (Since price and weight consideration must lean towards HA)

MongooseDownUnder

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I have always wanted a set of the duossal pots but could never afford them when I was young. Now I'm older I still cant afford them because when they do come up for sale the price is crazy. A friend of mine had a set and they were great.

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
Fantastic. Thanks for the reply chaps. The scum must have been a funny cup or tea bag but it still seems odd as it happened enough for me to notice. Anyway, thanks again for the replies, I can sleep well tonight and every other night I cook with the set!

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
De-laminate as in fall apart? I don't think that is a problem with mine at the moment. Plus as I'm not a heavy user of it so I hope it'll be ok.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE