Traditional printmaking

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to restore and deal in antique prints Tengu, copper and steel engravings, etchings, lithographs, wood blocks, wood cut and the like

What do you want to know?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a kind offer, Mary, No thank you, I already have some.

I need to know a bit about book printing in Shakespeares day. You know, the engraving a plate and printing off it?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have……a very long time ago. It's not particularly 'safe' iimmc, and it's hard to get lettering very precise.

Lino cutting, if you are very precise and take pains to keep it free from dross and the edges 'sharp', works very well instead of engraving metal.

Somewhere I have some engraved metal printing plates. Old advertising flyers from pre-war. I meant to take them to the local museum, but haven't a clue where I have stashed them. Probably in one of the sheds.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not sure; I believe etching did come along quite early in the scheme of things re printing, but it's hard to keep writing fine and even, and it's hard to keep illustrations with crisp lines. Engraving an be incredibly crisp, if the ink and paper are good :)
I do know that the acid's a pain to control effectively.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only the play with the concept. I used a bit of carbon steel and a sheet of copper.
The copper was really too thin and it buckled a bit and I actually struggled not to cut through it.
If I ever did it again, I'd glue the copper onto something solid, first.

Lines are easy enough to start, but taking out the slivers of copper tidily at the other end's a bit of a chore.

I can well believe that it was very skilled work.

M

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I know a bit about woodcut, linocut and wood graving.

A lot of printing in shakespeare's day would have been done using wood graving - this is done on the end-grain of a dense wood (such as box) using different tools from woodcut. A bit of research confirms this; wood graving was the usual technique. Wood graving uses tools that look like small gouges but are actually solid. The actual printing is done using a press.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hardly at all.

the profiles are similar to small gouges - V, round, etc, but are like a solid bar. So a V graving gouge is like a triangle.

Because you are cutting end grain on very dense wood you can make very fine marks, just like engraving on metal sheet. Unlike metal engraving, the ink is carried on the raised surface. A lot of skill is in cutting a block so that it prints ok without the paper 'bottoming'. The image also needs to be designed to be practical.
The wikipedia article is pretty good with some pictures of images done using this technique.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_engraving

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE