Traditional knots for snares (not wire)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2010
yorkshire
Hi

99.9% of people may view this as a silly question and say any noose knot such as a Honda, Poacher, running bowline would all work fine, and i can see their point. However, does anyone have any references to the types of knots traditional used to create a snare out of natural fibres in different Aboriginal cultures i.e. not a wire snare, but a snare made from plant materials etc. The reason for asking is that when using natural fibres the type of knot used greatly effects the overall strength of the snare, also i would like to know if traditional snares were free running or locking?

As always thanks in advance

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Good question. I have pictures of aboriginal snares and knots and will dig them out for you. May take a while though. PM if you get impatient.

What I notice is that the knots are less complex and generally avoid the sharp bends that "modern" knots and slippery fibres seem to need.

Natural materials have more friction and hold better. A clove hitch with a load only on one side will usually hold even if the strain comes on and off repeatedly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE