Traditional Bow Making

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hi All,

As the avatar might suggest I am an Archer, I love shooting compound, and do a little barebow with the AFB but wanting to try something...........

I have been thinking for a while of making my own and would like the tap into the knowledge of anyone who has done this to see if my idea is workable.

Firstly I would like to know what wood would be suggested that I am likely to find close to home in the woodlands of northern UK?

What size piece do I need to harvest (to allow for carving) and anything I should look for/lookout for?

Seasoning? (just a twist of pepper?:togo:)

(you'd think as a joiner I might know these things,eh!:confused::D)

I would like to use only what I'm likely to have on me on a trip (Knife, folding saw, axe/hawk) with perhaps a drawknife too.

Any other experiences/advice invited please!

Thanks in advance

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I don't know the first thing about archery mate but I do know that yew is the wood used for longbows with the sapwood still on as this helps the bow to be strong and IIRC the wood should be green for carving and "training" the bow to flex and when carving to shape. However I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than me will be along with superior knowledge to help.

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have just started making them aswell, I have made two so far. The first was a hzel bow and the second an elm bow. Unfortunately the Elm bow cracked on the back of it a week ago :(

But plenty of nice wood for spoon making now.

I followed tutorials i found on the site and also on paleoplanet. Try http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/60/Bow-Building-Tutorials

I will be starting my third soon, I have got a nice ash stave seasoning in my shed. Its been in there for about 2 months now with the bark on, and i might move it in to a cool place in my house soon to speed up the drying.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Paleo Planet is the place for more information than you could possibly absorb.

Harvesting your own timber is great, but I always suggest newcomers use shop bought Ash or Red Oak (or similar) to practice on than risk harvesting a bunch of staves only to turn them into matchwood.

Saplings or boughs of a couple of inches in diameter are more than enough to make a hunting weight bow - you can rough the bow out from the green wood and leave it slightly oversized, coat the ends with glue to prevent splitting and season them for a month or so in a warm room in the house and they should be good to use. Larger timber obviously requires more time but by removing the excess you remove the amount of material you are trying to season plus it's easier to take off when it's green.

Hazel and Ash coppice is a great source of bowstaves...

Easiest, safest and most reliable bows to make are pyramid bows - wide limbs immediately above and below the grips sharply tapering to fine tips. Pyramid bows can be fast shooting and an advantage of that much material in the width of the limb means the limbs need not be as long as on a narrower design.

Moisture content and tillering are the two areas you need to concentrate on but only AFTER you start to understand bow design in relation to particular wood species.

Basic rules of thumb:

If in doubt, make the bow wider.

Narrower bows can shoot faster but they can also de-stabilise if you aren't very careful. Particularly dense tropical hardwood like Ipe are wonderful - most of my Ipe longbows are a shade under an inch wide. It is so dense that you need less of it to achieve the same result as with other timbers. Most folks make their first Ipe bow the same dimensions as they would use for Yew or Osage and then wonder why they can't even string it, never mind draw the thing...

:D

Make straight bows at first because if you can't tiller one of them then a reflex or combined reflex/deflex design will have you a gibbering wreck.

Don't waste time with sinew or similar backings unless you can successfully make bows to begin with - backing a bow, even with rawhide, takes time and effort to do properly and there is no sense investing that if you aren't pretty sure of the likely outcome.

You can make bows from loads of British timber, ranging from Dogwood, Hawthorn, Walnut, Lime, Ash, Wych Elm (one of my favourites), Sycamore, Laburnum (my number one favourite), Yew (obviously), Hickory, Hazel, Juniper and so on.

Concentrate on a straight pyramid bow and then move onto a longer and narrower more stacked design like a longbow.

Once you have your tillering nailed feel free to play all you like with backed or reflex/deflex design.

Anything up to around 40lb or so draw weight and you can afford a little grain wander, but straight grain is always better to have if you can find it or, at the very least, allow your bow to follow the grain if it drifts, ending up with a wobbly 'character' bow.

Lots of fun, bow-making, and all you need is the right timber, a saw, Nicholson rasp and a couple of scrapers (knife blades will do).

A few of mine:

trio_unbraced.jpg

trio_braced.jpg

One of my laminated longbows, overbraced, drawn and just unbraced:

tiller_overbraced.jpg

tiller_28_drawn.jpg

tiller_unbraced.jpg

The slight set recovers after half an hour or so, almost to dead straight :D

Bamboo backed Osage, 92lb @ 31" shown braced, at 20", at 30" and the at rest immediately after unbracing, with barely an inch of set:

boo_backed_osage_braced.jpg

boo_backed_osage_drawn_20.jpg

boo_backed_osage_drawn_30.jpg

boo_backed_osage_unbraced.jpg

boo_backed_osage_finished.jpg

boo_backed_osage_finished_on_quiver.jpg

boo_backed_osage_finished_full_draw.jpg

Longbows have been a lifelong passion of mine, probably even more than knives and knifemaking, and I am always questing after an ultra-fast and smooth shooting longbow that has as close to zero set (string follow) as possible.

Happy to help if you come unstuck either in the forum, by PM, email or phone.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Wow, Xunil, many thanks for such a reply!:You_Rock_

I would love to one day make something of beauty, I'm sure its in me!

For now it was going to be a rough survival bow type as a benchmark and if it progresses, then great if not then I have satisfied a curiosity!

I got into archery for something my wife and I could do together and its would give me some light relief from my lifelong fishing obsession. Which it did, then it (for now at least) took over!
never expected this, and I suppose this is a natural progression.......

BTW, is that an internature AFB? If so I have one of those!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
No, it's not an Internature - it's my own laminated flatbow, as in, made by me. The Internature bows are good entry point flatbows but they are unnecessarily wide and bulky in the limb and grip - the one in the picture looks like a kids bow next to an Internature but it shoots a LOT faster and flatter :)

The one at the bottom of that picture is by Richard Saffold, who makes wickedly fast reflex deflex longbows. It is 55lb, bamboo backed Ipe and shoots almost as fast as an olymic recurve.

Not exactly primitive but the deer (in Canada) don't seem to care either way...

The bow at the top of the same picture and all the other bows pictured are of my own make.

I hate to be a lazy hack and suggest another forum here, but there are some great "how to" tutorials on the Paleo Planet site: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/60/Bow-Building-Tutorials

And they also have a bunch of stuff on selecting and working with materials: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/63/Technical-Bowmaking-Information

If you haven't got them see if your library carries The Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol 1 - 4. They walk you through everything from selecting boards through to sinew backed native American bows.

Last edited:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ash wood would be the way to go if you are starting off. It grows like a weed here in the East of England and seasons so fast that you could have a bow in a week or two at this time of year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE