Trade axe head (hudson bay type)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaf098

Jun 10, 2008
Rochester uk
Can any one tell me where i can get hold of or know some one that makes them ?
There was one for sale on the Forum but its sold. bumer

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I've got a gransfors French Trade Axe/Dakota Tomahawk, which I've never really used. Hadn't concidered selling but i'm strapped for cash at the moment. Unfortunately they cost £132, but i'd be willing to go a lot lower than that. PM me if your interested

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I don't know if there's anyone doing 'off the shelf' ones - but it strikes me as the sort of thing that Dave Budd would be able to make for you.

I'm not sure it would be any cheaper though! :D - you'd have to ask and see :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
funny you should mention that...

I've not got any made up at present, but it's on my list to do. Also still gotta work out the price based on hours of work and pints of sweat ;)

are you after just the head, the whole axe and what sorta size?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Look on eeeeebay.com - there are plenty for sale in the states, particularly if you put your own handle on one - some will ship here for not too much.

All depends weather you want to own a piece of history or a new build.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If you're just after a 'hawk then Cold Steel do some with good reps if you don't mind the new build as Hedgehog says

Mark

gaf098

Jun 10, 2008
Rochester uk
Dave

Thinking of the head only something about 5 “with say 3 ½ to 4 “cutting face
Probably around about 600G. For light camp work / cutting smallish branches/ splitting
Small logs
Up to about 3" .Needs to be the type of thing that you going to always take in your
Pack. Not the type your going to take out because of the weight

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I expect I can do something for you :) sounds like the larger end of hawk heads that (just learning about them from our American brethren ;) ). I've got my first proper hawk head tempering in the oven right now, I'll let you know how that turns out and if it's good then I'll try a larger one next week with luck.

gaf098

Jun 10, 2008
Rochester uk
Dave

I did a bit off a drawing of the type of thing i was thinking off

axehead.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well, I certainly couldn't (and wouldn't) make it for twenty six quid! :D I've got other Husky axes and they are good tools, basically they are made by Wetterlings (I think, or was it Hultafors, I forget).

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Packaging isn't free and they have to charge you VAT on top of their costs.

Hi Lurch, I obviously don't know you, and I understand that you do a great deal to support this site and its members. I dont mean to argue with you, and would hope to use your shop / offers as the opportunity arrives.

I totally understand and accept that the postage of £2.70 plus packing and delivery to post office (although I rather suspect the parcels are collected from the shop) would be charged to me ... however I cannot make this add up to more than £4 or so in total. The plastic postage bag surely didnt cost the shop £1, and it surely didnt take 30minutes paid time to prepare the item for posting.

I dont understand the VAT issue - I paid VAT on the purchase price of the goods, Im not sure why I would be charged VAT again on postage too??

I am quite happy to pay what things cost, but in this case an extra pound or two seems to have been gained through the post and packing cost ... when this is multiplied by 10 Internet shoppers per day it adds up to a tidy sum - and that is not fair to the consumer.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
If you're just after a 'hawk then Cold Steel do some with good reps if you don't mind the new build as Hedgehog says

Mark

i am very happy with my cold steel trail hawk but i have reprofiled the cutting edge as it was a bit to round. lets see what Dave can come up with, i am sure it will be well worth a purchase.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I dont understand the VAT issue - I paid VAT on the purchase price of the goods, Im not sure why I would be charged VAT again on postage too??

Iused to do billing for goods dispatched. I used to put the postage below the VAT line.

The VAT man came around & insisted :nutkick: VATwas charged on postage & all transport costs.

Mike

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
@onfire
As said above, you get charged vat on postage coz the vat man says so.
;)
I don't know about the shop you mention but I do know that unless the shop spends 15k+ on postage then the Royal Mail charge for collections.
I suspect that like me the shop has made a decision to charge a flat rate on P&P, this is difficult as some buyers will make a purchase which will cost less and some will make a purchase which costs more. The alternatives are to make a very difficult and time consuming (i.e. expensive) calculation per unit which may result in a more accurate charge per order. Or it may not! Some consumers may then moan that they didn't know in advance what the P&P charges were until final checkout.
You can't win!
I made the decision to charge £3.95 per order, if you the consumer buy a Spyderco Bug only then the franking cost for that is 50p yet I've charged you 3.36 and the VAT man makes me charge you the rest and pay him the balance. So you lose out.
However if you buy a Crusader Cooking set I have to send it courier and it costs me a lot more than £3.36 and I lose out.
Bottom line is that if you aren't happy with the P&P charges then don't buy, but you can hardly make a transaction knowing what the charges are and then complain after the fact eh?

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I am quite happy to pay what things cost, but in this case an extra pound or two seems to have been gained through the post and packing cost ... when this is multiplied by 10 Internet shoppers per day it adds up to a tidy sum - and that is not fair to the consumer.

Th web site clearly says that there is a fixed charge of £6.99 for P&P unless the item is especially heavy or bulky, in which case they will warn you about the increased P&P costs.

When buying mail order P&P costs are often fixed at apparently random fixed rates. When comparing costs I always ignore the raw cost of the item and add the p&P to the raw cost and use the combined figure to make any comparative cost assessment. Its irrelevant how much of the cost is P&P.

This is especially important on ebay and Amazon dealers where P&P rates vary tremendously and the cheapest raw price is hardly ever the cheapest once you add the P&P.

You could always have driven to Lancashire and picked the axe up in person, which would have avoided the P&P costs all together.

Or was the all in price of the axe including P&P still worth it to now own the axe and avoid the hassle and costs of travelling to Lancashire to get it.

So, as a consumer you have a choice of paying £34 for the axe delivered to you door, £27 if you go and collect it, buying it somewhere else, or doing without.

Unfortunately the P&P costs often turn a bargain, into not that much of a bargain once you add everything together.

Graham

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Hello,

Thank you for your thoughts and advice after my post. I understand the VAT issue a little more clearly now.

As for the conclusion about P&P costs - I still see it as black and white ... and so does everyone else. I am happy to agree to diagree, but I thank you for your thoughts.

The last thing I want to do is fall out with people here, so I will leave the issue settle.

Onfire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE