tracking through moss or soft snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shiki_no_uta

Feb 2, 2011
Berlin, Germany
www.pfaf.org
In the forest close to where i live the ground is most of the times covered with a mix of moss, some grass, and pine debris. I find many tracks around. Just holes through the moss, and I know they are tracks cuz they are in a line and in a track common order. But there is no way i could say how old they are, since there is not actually any "bottom" of the track. Maybe looking at how thick they are i could guess the animal...
any help?

shiki_no_uta

Feb 2, 2011
Berlin, Germany
www.pfaf.org
i made some pics, but watching them on the computer, its difficult to really see any tracks on them. here'S an example
p1010171r.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks like deer to me. Need a real close up to be sure, but most mammalian species with pads will not sink like that, so it indicates cloven foot.

shiki_no_uta

Feb 2, 2011
Berlin, Germany
www.pfaf.org
i also think it is a cloven foot, but from which one?
TeeDee, i think i'll try to lift the moss, but i dont think they will print in the soil under... anyway its quite sandy... ok, i'll tell you later
here is a close up, i think its not very usefull

i looked through all the photos i made and no one of them seems really of any use

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really can't tell from that without a sense of scale right next to the track itself. Some better idea of the firmness of the substrate would be good firsthand too, but I would certainly say deer from the evidence so far. The size of the print will ID it quite easily.

shiki_no_uta

Feb 2, 2011
Berlin, Germany
www.pfaf.org
the white thing next to the track is a measuring tape, but the names are not clear. next time i'll try to make better photos
the substrate is quite thin, and in most of the place the moss and grass grow almost directly on the sand

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
The problem with a single photo it that is sort of out of context,you need to see the big picture, follow the trail for some distance to gather more information especially the animals gate or trail ,any droppings,signs of feeding,wallows or bedding areas. When you begin to see the bigger picture then you"ll start to build up a more accurate idea of what youre following.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The problem with a single photo it that is sort of out of context,you need to see the big picture, follow the trail for some distance to gather more information especially the animals gate or trail ,any droppings,signs of feeding,wallows or bedding areas. When you begin to see the bigger picture then you"ll start to build up a more accurate idea of what youre following.

I'll agree with that.
I think folk can get too concerned with putting their heads down and following every single footprint, hands up I get immersed in it sometimes too.
Look up and try to find the most likely path taken. If you can see, say for instance, a gap in a hedge 50 yards away in the general direction of the trail, mark your last known point and then head for the gap to pick up the trail again.
The prints you're seeing in your immediate area have to go somewhere, there could be more obvious sign further on.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Apply speculative tracking techniques, as mentioned, as well as systematic ones. Try looking for any sign above the ground, and not just focussing on the prints. You could also clear the moss and set a couple of sign traps. You may be able to sign trap under the moss as well. What wildlife is in the area?, look for scat, scent markings and other signs too. Is it a single animal or group. All the clues make the bigger picture. I expect you are doing this already.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Dry moss love it ,here are some photos taken over 8 weeks. First image 10.4.2011. time 14.10 hot dry and sunny typical Scotland...not.
picturephone203.jpg
.This second image was taken 48 hours later after a light rain.Only heel cut still visible.
picturephone195.jpg
day 7 and heel cut still very clear.
dsc01227g.jpg

last image .5.6.2011 heel cut still clear at 8 weeks.

In deep snow the trail will tell you what the animal is even if you cant see the track.
Red squirrel.
p1072391.jpg
pc202339.jpg

Badger.
p2111223.jpg
p2111221.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE