Tracking Software!!What would that means? please ur opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
pretty much everything i have used techy wise in the outdoors has proved more hassle than just using the good old fashioned ways.
we just aint anywhere near the tricorder yet but believe me i will be first in line when one is developed
as too the light sabre hover board and personel teleporter lol

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
pretty much everything i have used techy wise in the outdoors has proved more hassle than just using the good old fashioned ways.
we just aint anywhere near the tricorder yet but believe me i will be first in line when one is developed
as too the light sabre hover board and personel teleporter lol

Teleporter is something that I really do need! Put me down for one too :lmao:
Good luck with your studies by the way Auto.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
as camera technology improves i could imagne a scenario where you could take a pic of a track, put in some data concerning location and effectively have a series of yes or no questions to answer that would/ could possibly enable you to "sucessfully" track.

It could certainly ask you the right questions - if you answer them correctly is up to you i guess.

it could also throw up a series of helpful pointers on screen for the tracker to look for, however subtle and give video/ picture clues, showing disturbed grit wet underside etc, or helping you to cast out.

You may then need to put in your own tracks (or have a database of human shoe tracks) so that they could me recognised and disregarded from the subject tracks.

Even bone structure and how the limbs work, estimating subject weight etc would be possible helping the tracker envisage how the animal moves. As the database builds it could become a fantastic tool for conservation.

Add on gps software and you could plot sign to reconstruct a track, and build the data further... this could be a great project!!

Face recognition software is pretty sophisticated, surely its just a slight variation of that with gps & a diagnosis prog running alongside? (get me - "yeah, its well easy innit!")

Dont get me wrong theres no substitute for just being out there and trying, learning, re-trying but I could envisage this working well (with a whole lot of time invested).

i can imgine a nintendo ds game that kids would LOVE, and some adults :D

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
ONe possible use for such software,besides for study purposes, would be for farmers to help decide what's ruining their crop.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
One thing to remember is, probably all the track images posted here on Bushcraft uk were found over a considerable period of time, on good ground under favourable light conditions and nearly always showing a complete track, Complete tracks are relatively easy to ID, so to be of any practical benefit "at least to the experienced tracker" it would have to reconstruct and ID incomplete or partial tracks, and run as an apps on something like a digital camera or mobile phone.
As to the benefits it could be helpful for new or young trackers, gamekeepers,wildlife survey teams,any of the usual outdoor type,either ID it on the spot or take an image and ID it later and it home.

You may find this book a good starting point. It has a short section on cyber-tracker software,which may be of some interest.
Jon Young and Tiffany Morgan
Animal Tracking Basics
Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3326-7

Overlapping the traditional and fundamental tracking skills of observation and interpretation,and crossing over to Holistic tracking, tuning into the natural world with basic exercises designed to develop Increasing and refine sensory awareness and intuition. With chapters covering journaling, ecology mapping, animal runs, trailing, aging tracks and sign, birdsong and storytelling and finally a chapter on modern tracking tools cyber-tracker software, camera traps, digital photography and video recording, soot trays and trapping..........

Gait pattern recognition may possibly be your easiest route to follow initially for the development of computer software and algorithm programs however. Sorry but just in case you are new to tracking,or unfamiliar with the terminology, “Gait or gait patterns” are the consistently regular and predictable footfall placements at a set speed in the locomotion all quadruped animals,"walk, trot, run, canter, gallop etc.

If it’s small, lightweight, waterproof and works you could be on a winner.
Good luck.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE