Tracking CSI...Mystery Skeleton....(warning..piccs of dead stuff)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Does look avian, leg bones look quite thick for overall size so I'd guess it's ground dwelling, though wouldn't rule out water dwelling.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a large driven shoot area - mainly pheasant and red legged partridge.

I think on reflection I would err towards partridge based on size. The logic of avian is certainly right I'm sure now. The shape of pelvis, femur and spine on the chicken skeleton drawing is just so very close.

Good stuff ...... consider yourselves Horatio Caine :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I found a pelvis exactly like that a few weeks back from a semi-fresh kill, the feathers left over were pheasant, so I'm, 99% sure that that is one too. The pelvis is an exact match.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Following a quick flick through my Woolworth's "Ttracking and random Corpses" book it looks like another extinct bird to me.

I think its one of those Doknows? (sorry I've got a cold).

I'll get my coat!

Alan

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
yep definitely...and more pellets/poo!! Cheers red. I now have some dodgy thompson's twins song kicking about in the back of my head.:D

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
RoadRunner.gif

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, more will be forthcoming.

Should have photographed the wood mouse I found on top of a curtain rail last night (after it scampered in front of the PIR and triggered the alarm). That was a nearly a dead creature ;)

I often haven't bothered photgraphing stuff in the past as its been more of a personal interest but I'll do more since theres interest.

I do have one or two intriguing ones that might provoke interesting discussion though!

Red

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
I just dug through some of my books from a previous career, and unearthed Dale Serjeantson's and Alan Cohen's 'Bird Bones from Archaeological Sites' ISBN 1873132905- great for reading in the bath - full of fine line drawings of the post-cranial bones from a variety of species...

N

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE