Tracking book by Jack Kearney

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Just received a copy of "Tracking: A Blueprint For Learning How" by Jack Kearney.

Has anybody else read it? If so what did you think of it?

It looks a good read but I haven't had time to look through it yet. Once I have I'll let everyone know what it's like

The book is listed on amazon but is unavailable from them. I got my copy by ordering it directly from Pathways Press. If anybody else is interested in a copy it cost me $26 (incl. postage).

For more info take a look at www.pathways-press.com

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Let me know what you think of it. I'm doing a tracking course next year so if it's any good I'll order it myself and give it a go.
:p

Oct 30, 2003
Cornwall
The Jack Kearney book is now very dated. New techniques and styles have long since superceeded his book.
The only real way to learn is to attend a course. Tracking cant be learned from a book.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
That's true, but if your truly starting off as someone who knows nothing of tracking, it's sometimes helpful to get some pointers as to what the hell it's all about!!! :eek:):

I never had a clue about how much was truly involved until I started reading a little about it. It's given me great deal of respect for those who do track, and the next stage is to get outside and have ago!!

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Seems like a good book according to the description would be interested in what you think of it.

If you are not confident in your own ability to digest what is in the book go on a course and pay someone to show you what the book is trying to tell you, but as it says it is a self teach book.

It all depends on how you interpret the information and if you do get it wrong no one is going to get hurt.

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
Kearney's book is supposed to be good and I believe has been used by respected tracking schools in the US. Although I haven't got a copy, I have got Ab Taylor's book. Taylor and Kearney both learnt and taught their craft in the US Border Patrol and use a method known as 'step-by-step'. It's a good learning method for man-tracking based on stride, which concentrates on always finding the next track. For a beginner this system will focus you on very subtle sign where you should find it (ie. one pace ahead), but it is slow-going when you are learning, and can be difficult to translate to animal-tracking.

Max at Shadowhawk runs good courses which incorporate some elements of this method along with other, faster methods, and which are updated based on his experience of tracking and teaching. His courses also include both human and animal tracking. I hope he won't mind me saying that they are very good courses and well worth trying (and he's a thoroughly nice chap) !

Everyone responds differently to different learning styles. My advice would be to explore a range of respected sources and see what suits you. But most important, get out and look at tracks whenever you can. Also, if it's animal tracks you're interested in, get to know the ecology and habits of the different species as this can really help.

Good luck with your tracking.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Wayne said:
Having just attended Max and Rhodas tracking course. I have to say that if he says its out dated then take it as fact.

I'm not easily impressed but Max is something else. :You_Rock_

I managed to go tracking with Rhoda and Raz during the Wilderness Gathering. I had a great time, very impressed. :super:

Raz and I found some crazy gymnastic pheasant tracks. Unfortunately they were driven over before Rhoda had a chance to see them :cry:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
max@shadowhawk.co.uk said:
The Jack Kearney book is now very dated. New techniques and styles have long since superceeded his book.
The only real way to learn is to attend a course. Tracking cant be learned from a book.
Unfortunately I'm not able to go on the Shadowhawk course next week that I've been looking forward to for ages (but I am planning to go on a course once I'm fit again after my car accident :wink:). In the meantime though, I'm working hard reading several books on the subject and getting out as often as I can to see what tracks I can find, so I really hope this statement isn't absolutely true, Max! :biggthump

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Kath said:
In the meantime though, I'm working hard reading several books on the subject and getting out as often as I can to see what tracks I can find, so I really hope this statement isn't absolutely true, Max! :biggthump

Hi Kath

Have a read of

Animal tracks and signs by Preben Band & Preben Dahlstrom

Tracks & Signs Of The Birds Of Britain & Europe By Roy Brown, etc etc.

I find them to be very useful. Great recovery reading. :) Max is right, you can't learn to track from books, but they give you a head start, especially with sign tracking.

Oh if you wanted to take tracking further have a look at
The Science And Art Of Tracking by Tom Brown Jr.

I hope this helps,

James

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I really don't like the Preben Band & Preben Dahlstrom book. I wouldn't go so far as to say its lousy, but I was really disapointed in it when I bought mine.

I picked up a MUCH better book from Coch-y-Bondu books at the game fair, now can't remember the title :Arrgh: Must remember to look it up at home today!!

From the quick look that I gave it, the American book, Tracking and the art of seeing (think that was it) seemed good, but very US critter oriented.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
C_Claycomb said:
I really don't like the Preben Band & Preben Dahlstrom book. I wouldn't go so far as to say its lousy, but I was really disapointed in it when I bought mine.

Hi Chris
what didn't you like about the book?

James.

Oh, Chris I've rawhide backed the purple heart bow and its ready for tillering. :biggthump i'll try and send you a photo when I'm settled after my move. I'm really pleased with the rawhide finish :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I find that the older version of "Animal Tracks and Sign" (circa 1972) is better than the later editions. OK, maybe the later ones are better laid out but the drawings have more character and are in my opinion at least better.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep - I agree Preben Bang's book is the bible of tracking as far as I'm concerned - although as Max points out nothing replaces a good course when learning to track.

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
This thread is becoming very similar to the 'Practical tips' one within the Wildlife & Tracking group.

I agree that Preben Bang's book is one of the best field guides to tracks for N. European animals. For British Mammals, I would also recommend Rob Strachan's 'Mammal Detective'.

Although 'Tracking and the Art of Seeing' is U.S. based, many of the species or very similar species exist over here. The photos in this book are excellent, but best of all it gives clear pictures and measurements for the various gait patterns which are so important for animal tracking. I haven't come across another book which does this so well, but I haven't read Jim Halfpenny's book which I understand also emphasises gait patterns. Also, Rezendes makes the point that knowing the natural history of the animal you are tracking is vital but often forgotten. He mentions in the book that many newstudents on his courses become obsessed with 'finding the next track' but when asked, can't tell him what species they are tracking, etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE