Towing a trailer, couple questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all, collective knowledge being better and easier than google :)

To make camping a little easier as we are now 4 I decided to buy a trailer. Its only a small one but will take our big bell tent and some other toys to keep the kids entertained.

Next thing was to sort a Tow bar so purchased a second hand witter and fitted it to our CRV my self. Yep that was hard going on my own on a boiling hot day!

Now we are at the questions.

1./ Do I need electrics? I can see all of my lights over the trailer, break, indicators etc.

2./ License plate holder/board thing! Two parts, first where to order a plate online and second does it have to be lit? If so can I just use a battery operated something somehow?

Or should I just get the electrics sorted? Just means i have to strip the inside of the boot out again which was also not much fun.

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Yes your trailer and number plate need to be lit.

Be VERY careful if you decide to DIY the wiring - on 'old cars' it is very simple and you just 'scotch-lok' the new wires in. with modern cars with electric engine management systems you can 'blow-up' the whole thing just by touching the wrong wire.

Get a manual, talk to someone who has done the same model, or, get an 'expert' to do it.

With regard to getting a number plate made up, the changes in the law mean that you now have to go to a garage along with your car log book and they will make one up for you (about £5-£7) you will need to decide if you want a 'square' on or a 'long' one depending on the space / shape at the back of your trailer.

Reactions: rickyamos

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You will need to get electrics for sure. It's daunting yet I managed to do our BMW X3 with ease. You really will need to get the right kit to make it simple as possible and then maybe be a little inventive. My kit said to remove an insane amount of trim which was not needed. Worse still it said to remove rear seats, all lower quarter panels on nearside, just to add one wire to turn off reversing sensor when trailer connected! Why bother when there is a switch on the dash to turn off! Electrics took my about half an hour to get a very neat install complete with full ECU connection.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just get yourself one of the ready-made trailer boards, everything you need on one piece which you fix to the back of the trailer, run the cable back to the car; the plug is already on them, takes half an hour to do a neat job of it. Then just fix your no. plate to the installed board.

Here's a 4'6" one, there are also 3' available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...epid=0&hash=item2cb8f3106c:g:9VkAAOSwiKxZAh5H

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Just get yourself one of the ready-made trailer boards, everything you need on one piece which you fix to the back of the trailer, run the cable back to the car; the plug is already on them, takes half an hour to do a neat job of it. Then just fix your no. plate to the installed board.

Here's a 4'6" one, there are also 3' available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...epid=0&hash=item2cb8f3106c:g:9VkAAOSwiKxZAh5H

Its not the wiring of the trailer that's difficult, its the wiring in of the tow-bar socket into the car's main wiring harness.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
O' and the other thing to check out is 'weight'.

Unless you have grandfather rights to tow a trailer you must take a separate trailer driving test for any trailer (LADEN weight) weighing more than 750kgs (trailer weight and load weight inclusive)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You don't need to prove ownership to get a licence plate - my wife has bought the last two online delivered to the door without doing it. I'll check where from but I suspect through amazon (could have been eBay)

If you're lucky, the wiring will be super easy Is the car a Honda crv? For my Ford C-Max it was really easy with just pulling out sockets from the light and connecting them into the wiring and the wiring into the light. Power was from the boot 12v supply. I'm currently trying to comprehend the set up for my Toyota avensis. It's a scotch lock job and also have to run power all the way to the battery, apparently!!!

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire

Handy to know (illegal but useful contact)

The law states :

Getting number plates made up
You can only get a number plate made up from a registered number plate supplier.

The supplier will need to see original documents that:

• prove your name and address
  • show you’re allowed to use the registration number
Identity documents
You can use the following to confirm your name and address:

• driving licence
  • utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
  • national identity card
The following will confirm your name only:

• passport - doesn’t have to be issued in the UK
  • bank or building society debit or credit card
  • police warrant card
  • armed forces identity card
Proving you can use the registration number
You must bring one of the following to show you’re allowed to display the registration number:

• vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
  • new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  • certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
  • retention document (V778)
  • a renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  • temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • an electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)
  • a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate
  • if your fleet is in the new V5C on demand scheme (also called ‘V5C suppression’), a PDF of the vehicle’s details from the view vehicle record service

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
,My car failed its test for a damaged registration plate and a tyre, kwik fit fixed the tyre, I went next door to a car parts place showed them the MOT fail, but they wouldn't do me a licence plate, so I rushed home and ordered some off Ebay, and they were there next morning at half the price this car parts place wanted...................what a palaver............what is happening to this country of ours?????? As cars no longer need to show a tax disc, what is stopping people having identical vehicles showing the same registration number, as long as one is MOT,d and insured who would know., and why is it you can go and buy a vehicle from a dealer, auction, ebay, without having to prove who you are as long as you have the readies to pay for it.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the input all.

Opted for a local motor factors for the reg plate. A tenner so hardly broke the bank. Yes they did ask for the V5 and my license but no great hassle.

I struggled with the electrics so went for the red towing triangles and the plate. I didn't need the electrics due to the size of the trailer and my lights still being perfectly visible.

I was on a driver awareness course for work (not the naughty boy one) and I ran the situation via the very knowledgeable instructor who confirmed I was good to go.

In regards to license I was old enough to not have to do an additional test! :)

Cheers again all.

PS I intend to sort a full lit board one day when have the time.

Reactions: santaman2000

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was once stopped by a policeman for not having a number plate on the back of a small trailer that I was towing with my 110. I asked him why I needed one and his reply was "so we know the registration of the towing car" - I just looked at him for a second as we were standing behind the trailer with the number plate on the 110 clearly visible and he just said, "OK, I'll let you off this time" and left :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE