Tough watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Dunno about tough watches, but I broke a good one in a really stupid way a few years ago. Practising karate kata forms, I did an elbow strike into the opposite arm (as required) and forgot I was wearing my watch. Elbow met watch, and glass and watch parts went everywhere.

Makes a change from sticking it in my pocket and then running it through the washing machine.

I gave up on watches years ago.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Luminox really does just look like a pimped up Traser - http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=327111 Trasers dont seem to have the water resistance though. The whole Navy Seals gimmick is offputting I have to say and looking at there entire range makes me think there just novelties for middle aged men.

Never had a problem with water resistance personally - but never had the cause to go to 200m. Very pleased that I'm of an age where I'm allowed to wear one too!!:)

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
what about the watches made by a company called 'nite'? i met a fella from 1PARA SFSG who showed me his MX10 watch which is apparently was issued to him. his survived a tour of afghanistan and one of his mates taking a screwdriver to it to see if he could break it lol
http://www.nitewatches.com/index.asp

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I think with water resistance its more combined forces at play, as apposed to actual literal depth/pressure. So in other words swimming, thrashing around, etc all puts extra force on the watch. Thats why unless its designated "divers" there not actually allowed to say its water proof by ISO regulation.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I think with water resistance its more combined forces at play, as apposed to actual literal depth/pressure. So in other words swimming, thrashing around, etc all puts extra force on the watch. Thats why unless its designated "divers" there not actually allowed to say its water proof by ISO regulation.

lol indeed! it might say 200m on the watch, but go down that deep and I can guarantee death. hell past 150m, and it's pitch black, its pretty dark and soupy at 45m!

I've been down as deep as 63m on a trimix, over an hour and a half to safely ascend without risk of decompression problems, the casio paw 1500t came with me and is still going strong!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
lol indeed! it might say 200m on the watch, but go down that deep and I can guarantee death. hell past 150m, and it's pitch black, its pretty dark and soupy at 45m!

I've been down as deep as 63m on a trimix, over an hour and a half to safely ascend without risk of decompression problems, the casio paw 1500t came with me and is still going strong!

Whats the "atomic clock" function on it like? Can you disable it and enter your own time? Also what do you think of Casio's "tough solar" function? How effective is it in charging in the UK's often dim light conditions and do the batteries last long enough to justify solar power?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
My trusty old Krug Baeuman. Would cost ya more then budget unless you get lucky like I did. Ninety quid I paid, retail over four hundred. Tough as old boots, even survived a fit of my rage, being thrown at the wall full pelt... Don't go there. :)

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
Whats the "atomic clock" function on it like? Can you disable it and enter your own time? Also what do you think of Casio's "tough solar" function? How effective is it in charging in the UK's often dim light conditions and do the batteries last long enough to justify solar power?

the atomic clock is a bit overkill tbh, but it has won an argument at work about my watch being slow... ''my watch slow eh? google it, atomic time keeping? who's watch is right then? '' lol you can turn it off, but I've never found a reason not to have it on- i'm not sure if it auto updates, it didn't while I was in the UAE

the solar charging works fine, I've got it on super battery draining 'tilt to illuminate' too it got shipped over from the states and it was at full charge in about 2 weeks of wintertime light/office lights, its been on full ever since- it does go into a low power saving mode in the dark, the motion sensor in the watch or light wakes it up again, this again you can turn off and on.

of all the watches I've been through this is by far the most hard wearing, and versatile it comes diving, bushcrafting, urbex, it only comes off when I'm in bed, and only if I remember to take it off then :)

i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, like I've mentioned it's pretty big and its casio, but if I wound up stuck on a desert island I'd much rather have this than a timex!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
the atomic clock is a bit overkill tbh, but it has won an argument at work about my watch being slow... ''my watch slow eh? google it, atomic time keeping? who's watch is right then? '' lol you can turn it off, but I've never found a reason not to have it on- i'm not sure if it auto updates, it didn't while I was in the UAE

the solar charging works fine, I've got it on super battery draining 'tilt to illuminate' too it got shipped over from the states and it was at full charge in about 2 weeks of wintertime light/office lights, its been on full ever since- it does go into a low power saving mode in the dark, the motion sensor in the watch or light wakes it up again, this again you can turn off and on.

of all the watches I've been through this is by far the most hard wearing, and versatile it comes diving, bushcrafting, urbex, it only comes off when I'm in bed, and only if I remember to take it off then :)

i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, like I've mentioned it's pretty big and its casio, but if I wound up stuck on a desert island I'd much rather have this than a timex!

Yeah the majority of the hardcore Casios do seem very chunky. My plan is to go to a retailer and try some on to see how bad they look on my "Kate Moss arms". They don't make much of a smart watch, but after seeing all the torture tests (freezing, running over with a range rover, boiling, cooking, over pressure, hammers, etc) Im pretty much convinced that Casio are a wise buy. I don't wear watches to nightclubs and formal events anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Dynamite_1303

Feb 25, 2009
North Yorkshire
Timex Expedition, Argos, £15.

I think the old one's were better. I bought mine probably 15-20 years ago (also from Argos from what I remember). I've worn it every day since, camping, working, under water etc etc. I replaced the strap twice (the last one has lasted about five years) and the battery three times, but the watch itself keeps going on and on. I think it'll outlast me!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Hello all,

So far I've looked at G-shocks, but they're made in Thailand

And what's wrong with Thailand. :) Many of Nikon's DSLRs are made there. Seagate hard disk drives, Intel processors, etc.

For the price I think G-Shock is as tough as you are going to get. I've broken lots of watches and decided to get a G-Shock. I haven't been disappointed.

How tough is a G-Shock?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=57302

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
hi, i have a gulfman and a monster, but its not worth ruining the seiko monster as its a great watch so i would recommend a gulfman for yourself its indestructible lol

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The atomic solar G-Shocks are great. Don't worry about them being made in Thailand - they are well made and reliable.
My personal favourite is the GW-M5600.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE