Tough watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Hello all,

In the past few years I've destroyed numerous cheap watches from Argos and the likes. Vibration, shock, moisture ingress, dirt, grime and some have just plain broken or fallen to bits by themselves.

I do alot of urban/military site exploration, walking, camping, hunting and I occaisionally free dive. Im also off to North Africa in a few weeks. So Im coming into contact with dust, grime, mud, deep water, salt water, chlorine water and humidity and I need somthing that will withstand shocks and heavy impacts. So in other words 'bomb proof'! Preferably somthing also that will give many years good service.

I've been looking through good quality watches, but Im stuck as which to get. I would really appreciate a reccommendation from a watch expert.

My budget is £150.

So far I've looked at G-shocks, but there made in Thailand and I've heard bad things about the solar powered ones which all puts me off.
I've also looked at Luminox, which look really nice, but the faces don't look all that damage proof and Im unsure as to how well mechanical watches take shock/impact.

Thanks for looking.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've got a G-Shock, it's a 7700bl-1er, it has survived everything i've thrown at it so far, very heavy operational wear, sailing, rock climbing(should read falling) and my twins carrying it around the garden(17 months squaddy proof means nothing to them) i weoul whole hartedly recomend this watch, it's got a nice thick wrist band to v comfy, they go for about £65.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I wear a Casio paw1500t, I'm pretty hard going on watches I've killed a Citizen skyhawk in the past but the Casio pathfinders are VERY rugged. its also comes with the Casio ABC system as well as solar charging, ( and tide and moon graphs). as for 'battle testing' it's been diving a lot with me, I wear my oceanic geo2 on my right wrist and the paw1500t on my left, the compass even works underwater lol much to my old man's annoyedness as he has a massive compass on a lanyard! i keep bugging my mum to splash out on a decentish watch for him like mine

you can buy these in the UK, but the will cost you an arm and a leg, I got mine imported from the states for about £160 posted - titanium case and band- you cant go wrong!

I've got pretty chunkie wrists so it doesn't look out of place on me, but a few of the guys at my office have tried it on and it looks massive on a small wrist, the only downside I can think of :(

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have had my fair share of watches and i reckon the Casio GW-M5600 is as tough as a very tough thing.

DSC04123.jpg

This one has a GW-M5600BC "Stealth Bracelet"

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Sharp,

I've had some serious watches over the years and they have all had to be tough for the conditions. I now have a collection of 'tough watches' that range in value from the £100's to the £1000's.

Some decent watches have been mentioned, indeed I had a G-shock when they first came out in about 1983, however, IMO without doubt, in your budget any of the Luminox watches will be perfect. I have one that is now 3 years old (same battery since May 2007) and despite being used for bodyboarding every summer with sea, sand and rock, and for trips abroad to inhospitable places that have lots of sand and rock the watch shows virtually no signs of wear. The mineral crystal is still unscathed as is the rotating bezel. Whenever it gets covered in sand a quick rinse seems to get rid of it and off we go again. Equipped with Swiss quartz movements and silicone rubber strap (very comfortable, will easily go over a wetsuit sleeve and no parts to break like a metal bracelet) they are light weight and keep accurate time, and the Tritium dials light up exceedingly well in the dark without having to hit a button. This is my edc watch when abroad...they are also highly sought after wherever you go and can easily be traded if necessary (hence this is my second one ;) ). I have one of the original SEAL designs the A.3001 http://www.luminox.com/watches/ should be available for between £125 and £150. Just to make a point, my collection includes several well known watch brands that do similar jobs and cost much, much more...yet this is my preferred watch for the more 'action' oriented side of my life.
Anyway, others have given their opinions and now you have mine, hope it helps

Cheers

Sack

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Had one a few years ago as a hand-me-down from the old man. Busted in a few months.

Strange I've 2 a metal 1 and the cheap plastic £12 one. The plastic on is about 5 years old wit hte same battery. I routinely climb, cave and surf with it on. Plus I'm left handed and where watches on my left wrist so I d otend to destroy watches. Orginmally, bought to see me through a week away but it keeps going.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
There is the Vostok Amphibian - genuinely waterproof to 200m, mechanical, old-fashioned and somewhat crude but they keep going - it's a kind of horological Kalashnikov. You could buy three for your budget.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've always liked Trasers for day to day stuff. Currently got a Super Sport & a Commander - both seem to be bomb proof & I'm a clumsy bugger on the watch front!! If your lottery numbers come up go for Rolex - nothing else compares IMO. My old Air King Date is still as accurate as any out there.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Is it not true that Traser and Luminox are manufactured by the same people? I was snooping around on another forum and people really seem to bad mouth them both, preferring CWC as a military watch. It all gets a bit confusing when you know little about watches.

I've been looking at and heard many good things about the G-Shock Mudman and for about £60-70, it dosn't seem too bad if it died within a couple of years or got lost. Cons are, they are huge and my wrists are similar to that of an anorexic catwalk model. Im really holding out for a nice analogue watch rather than a digital one really, mainly because I like the tritium features and the face can easily be protected in the field with something similar to this http://www.meanandgreen.com/army//Leather_Watch_Strap_with_Cover/1430/1884.html

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
'Is it not true that Traser and Luminox are manufactured by the same people? I was snooping around on another forum and people really seem to bad mouth them both, preferring CWC as a military watch. It all gets a bit confusing when you know little about watches'.

Not sure mate. Had my Commander for about 5 years & it's still going strong. People will always have their preferences over any kit I suppose - Trasers mine for watches of this genre. Cheers.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I have had an Avia Polar Star 100 for about six years now . Worn every day and its coped with everything from Jackhammers, breakers and grinders to heavy coatings of dust following demolition work. And hours and hours spent in the surf. Best sixty quid i have forked out .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE