Tough and comfortable backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
The Bergans Alpinist is well made and the comfort is great. Excellent.
The only draw back is that I tend to fill it with all kinds of extras (given the ample space - 130l)...but as i am using it during the winter, I do need the size.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
+1 for the lowe alpine sting. Great, great rucksack that I can't praise enough! Only disadvantage is that it weighs 2.8 (ish) kilos unloaded, but it has a frame so it's no biggie.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
My Berghaus Vulcan is 20 years old and still going strong. Comfort is great as it uses the same Cyclops back system that Berghaus use on their trekking / mountaineering range for heavy load carrying. Lugged heavy squaddie gear back in the day as well as camping gear for a week with a full winter climbing rack. Was the pack I chose for the Pennine Way (carried a week's food at a time plus way too much water some days) and was really comfy.
Now I tend to use a smaller Berghaus pack but with the same Cyclops back system as I tend to be out for shorter trips but I would highly recommend the Vulcan!
That said, Auguille packs do look decent. I plan to replace my climbing pack (berghaus again) with an Auguille when it runs out. That fact that they custom make is a plus. I would visit the factory shop in the lakes before buying though and try one to check the fit suits.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
If you do go 'dutch' consider that the sting or the stingray only offer just over half the capacity you require. The SARACEN may be a better option. It is nearer your original 100 litres requirements.

peter_

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Croatia
The Bergans Alpinist is well made and the comfort is great. Excellent.
The only draw back is that I tend to fill it with all kinds of extras (given the ample space - 130l)...but as i am using it during the winter, I do need the size.

Like you said, in the winter time you need a lot of space... Those alpinist rucksacks looks great and very quality made. Big space is important to me because I will probably choose tipi tent for winter camping and they are not small... OK, that depends of the brand, but some ultralight tipis which I look have some minor errors e.g. bad ventilation system for hot tenting in the winter time. They are superb in the terms of weight and even they have extra quality fabrics for such weight, but... I think that it will be a big problem with condensation... You can buy expensive and ultralight sleeping system, but such tent is pretty big for backpacking...

peter_

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Croatia
My Berghaus Vulcan is 20 years old and still going strong. Comfort is great as it uses the same Cyclops back system that Berghaus use on their trekking / mountaineering range for heavy load carrying. Lugged heavy squaddie gear back in the day as well as camping gear for a week with a full winter climbing rack. Was the pack I chose for the Pennine Way (carried a week's food at a time plus way too much water some days) and was really comfy.
Now I tend to use a smaller Berghaus pack but with the same Cyclops back system as I tend to be out for shorter trips but I would highly recommend the Vulcan!
That said, Auguille packs do look decent. I plan to replace my climbing pack (berghaus again) with an Auguille when it runs out. That fact that they custom make is a plus. I would visit the factory shop in the lakes before buying though and try one to check the fit suits.

Thanks for info... It looks that vulcan will be close to top of my priorities when we talk about comfort military rucksacks.

peter_

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Croatia
+1 for the lowe alpine sting. Great, great rucksack that I can't praise enough! Only disadvantage is that it weighs 2.8 (ish) kilos unloaded, but it has a frame so it's no biggie.

One more vote for lowe alpine :) Weight is not a problem if you have a good frame... And in the winter time you don't walk long distance in the most cases...

peter_

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Croatia
If you do go 'dutch' consider that the sting or the stingray only offer just over half the capacity you require. The SARACEN may be a better option. It is nearer your original 100 litres requirements.

Thanks! For winter backpacking I think that something close to 100 liters is optimal...

peter_

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Croatia
I find some more interesting brands of backpacks with good frame systems... kifaru and seekoutside. Two different concepts but from reviews it looks very good...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Arcteryx is also worth a look, they also make the US marines bergen which is of epic quality. Im not talking about the olf cfp 90 its the new one. Give it a google.

The old CFP-90 was developed and made by Lowe-Alpine; and for the Army, not the Marines. Yeah the newer ILBE pack was developed as a collaboration between the Marines and Arcteryx, but the contract to produce them went to Proper.

I have one of the older CFP-90s and it's a great ruck. At least the main pack is (the detachable day pack isn't anything to write home about though) I have no firsthand knowledge of the Marines ILBE but as you stated, they're getting great reviews and the prices are coming down.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
The old CFP-90 was developed and made by Lowe-Alpine; and for the Army, not the Marines. Yeah the newer ILBE pack was developed as a collaboration between the Marines and Arcteryx, but the contract to produce them went to Proper.

I have one of the older CFP-90s and it's a great ruck. At least the main pack is (the detachable day pack isn't anything to write home about though) I have no firsthand knowledge of the Marines ILBE but as you stated, they're getting great reviews and the prices are coming down.
Ive heard negative feedback about the frame on the cfp-90 with regard to reliability, whats your opinion on it?
I'm not in the market for a ruck this size but the ilbe looks just about as good as it gets currently, have you heard any pros/cons with it? They aren't terrible prices even to import compared to some gear over hear of similar design solutions.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Ive heard negative feedback about the frame on the cfp-90 with regard to reliability..."

I used to own the Lowe Vector 'Commando' the civilian prototype of the above, I must have walked thousands of kilometres with it with no problems. It is a very heavy pack though. If you value your future health find something lighter for long distance walking. :)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Haha, yeah I'm passed all that mate, just interested in the different designs. I'll stick to what I've got. Dont use more than a side pack or a day sack nowadays.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ive heard negative feedback about the frame on the cfp-90 with regard to reliability, whats your opinion on it? ......

The "frame" is just two aluminum staves so the reliability is very good (not much to wear put or fail. They're malleable so you can mold them to your contour.

The weak point (if there is one) is the adjustment to the harness. The straps attach to a piece that adjusts by sliding up or down a silicon rail and is set by tightening a set screw when you get it to your preferred height. It works a charm but over time (a great deal of time under heavy loads) the silicon might degrade.

Be abvised, the above opinions are based on the actual issue/surplus packs; there are cheap knock-offs out there and their quality varies widely. Also be wary getting one off E-bay as the sellers sometimes ship packs well passed their prime.

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
The kifaru looks like the US army SPEAR pack. I've not used one but have handled one, and the spear is incredibly heavy empty. Out of the two I think the kifaru looks more hard wearing and useful thannthe ultralight one.

peter_

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Croatia
The kifaru looks like the US army SPEAR pack. I've not used one but have handled one, and the spear is incredibly heavy empty. Out of the two I think the kifaru looks more hard wearing and useful thannthe ultralight one.

Thanks for information! I read little about kifaru and is pretty much popular among hunters and soldiers... In reviews seems to me that it has a good reputation... What do you think or anybody else who maybe have experience with tasmanian tiger packs?

This two is interesting packs from that brand:

http://www.tasmaniantactical.com/TT_Field_Pack_p/7598.331.htm

http://www.tasmaniantactical.com/TT_Range_Pack_p/7601.331.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE