Torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Y

yowee

No doubt this has been asked before, but what would be a good powerful torch it obviuosly needs to be tough and waterproof, but I don't want to spend mental money, The L4 Luma looks good but the price is very scary, I think I'd rather just walk around in the dark, any ideas of cheaper but comprable items, at the moment I have a mini maglight and a tac tikka plus, the later being excellent, thanks for any help you can offer! :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I agree with tomtom here, they're not essential for several reasons. (best task I've found for one was searching my dark rucksack inside)
When you need one it would probably be at night, where it's dark, but you will probably have a fire going already and this one close to your shelter.

Setting up camp should be done before sundown, I have tried to set up a bivouac when it was almost totally dark, with just a little tiny torch (maglite solitaire) and it wasn't funny as it resulted in wet gear (and we had 4 days to go). So even though they provide light, it's not as good as daylight and human vision. They also ruin nightvision, though there is a trick to avoid this.

But... You might just wanna take a look here. I haven't tried it though, but it's worth a read. I have a Maglite Solitaire and i'm not very pleased. The light is poor and the range also. The mini is much better and more powerful. But I know a lot in here dislike Maglites. :wink:

My thoughts.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
mini maglite led conversion kits dont give you much more light but raise the runtime to about 14 hours from 2xAA batteries so they are worth a thought

also there are led models running off 1x AA

Premierlight or Inova at Heinnie Haynes

I think Joe at Outdoor Supplies also has Inovas and Conversion Kits for minimag

Lithium 123 batteries seem to give loads more light but less runtime

Personally I dont use a torch if I am out and about unless i have to, but it is nice to know that it is in my pocket and ready to work.

I like the AA option best cos rechargeables are easy and available

May even invest in a solar recharger and save me draining the national grid lol

Tant

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a few ranging from a 100m 50w diving torch to a petzl tikka plus head torch...

For general use I take the head torch as I can rummage all I like with both hands free and for a little more throw as was mentioned I have one of the green US type 2 x D cell right angle jobbies, it cost me less than a tenner, it's water proof and it works fine.

I know other torches are built better like maglite or whatever but they all seem a little over priced for something i'll probably lose anyway :?:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I say Squidders,that right angle torch of yours is it part of your kit that you brought back to the world after your tour in Nam. :lol:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
hey, I was only giving what I think to be sound advice... on a cheap and useful torch... I could have gone off on the latest 1000 quid gucci brushed aluminium monster with 1billion candle power and a centuries battery life.

it must be "national be mean to Joe day" today :roll:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
No no Squidders mate i was just having a joke.Anyhow i got one of those right angle torches myself to go with me jungle boots,Mitchel pattern helmet,issue BDUs,m16 and me Full metal jacket and platoon DVDs. :eek:):

Really ive got one of these torches myself,dunno if its a real issue version mind you.But to be fair it does the job and dident cost that much either.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Yowee:

I really like the Petzl Zipka-Plus headlamp. It has various brightness modes and runs on AAA batteries. But the honest truth is that I use it more around the house than in the woods.

In the woods I like the Photon II or Photon III or Photon Freedom. Usually in red or green to save my night vision. They're all the same size and shape, but have different switches and operating modes.

I put one on a string and put it over my neck just before bedding down. Then it's where I need it for visiting the trees at two in the morning.

Just one caution, though. If you do get a non-white one for night use, consider adding a second one with white light to your first aid kit. If you cut yourself at night, it's usefull to be able to see where you're bleeding. Can't do that well with a red light.

There are a lot of inexpensive LED lights at Countycomm (the site I referred you to above). They're not Photons, but I've heard good reports about them as a low cost value.

Bear

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I saw a Black Diamond 5 led head torch along the lines of the Peztl for £17 the other day and that looked a good buy. Soldier of Fortune in Chester also does a 3 led copy of the Peztl for about £9 and its in olive green too!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Petzl tikka plus for me too.

Lightweight - reasonably bright on full (well bright enough for the woods, I use a petzl duo on the hill where you might need to see longer distances) batteries last for ages on low, small and robust.

George

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm a two torch kinda guy. Something LED for walking and chores around camp (long battery life) and something with some grunt in case I need to see out one or two hundred yards to search for people, kit or the right path.

I'm not out so much that the cost of the battery overrides all else so I use an inova 24/7 LED (high & low level white, red, and various stobes) which I can clip to my jacket or put on a headband plus a surefire. These both run on CR123 lithiums (lots of energy = bright &/or long life) and are both waterproof against rain or dropping in rivers.

I've recently got a tikka plus headlamp for my daughter - it's great - lighter and cheaper than the 24/7 but not quite as bright and versatile.

A 2 cell / 60 lumen Surefire like the 6P model will amaze you the first time you see one. It's surprisingly small - shorter but fatter than a minimag - but like holding a car headlight when you need to find your tent from a field away. LED's just can't do this. Shop carefully and they're not that dear.

After buying the 6P, I couldn't resist the longer 200 lumen version (C3) but that's a whole different story. You definately don't need one of those for bushcraft !

Cheers

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Ok main use camp torch petzl tac tikka plus
Torch when I need lots of light ie. lost kit, or looking for decent log in the middle of the night surefire 6p or G2 Nitro
and as a back up photon 2 or 3 one green one red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE