Torch Suggestions

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I am wanting to get a good torch for Christmas. SWMBO says that I can have anything up to £50 as a pressie but it doesn't have to cost all that as I can have more stuffs if it's less. I already have a tactikka xp head torch that does sterling work. What I'm after is something that will be used to see for a longer distance and / or has quite a good battery life. It doesn't have to be tiny but I'd rather not too huge...

For reference the tactikka is useful up to about 50 ft and I'd like to see a whole lot further than that.

Any ideas - what do other people use and what are the pros / cons...

Thanks

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use one of these...
Led Lenser P14 Torch
7231.jpg

The P14 uses LED Lenser’s popular tactical casing in a slightly larger size that allows for the use of the world's most common battery, the AA. Producing 200 lumens, the P14 has the brightness and battery run time professionals are looking for.

Advanced Focus System - Spot to Flood Beam
Lightweight Aircraft Aluminium Casing
One Handed Speed Focus
Quick - Cycle Switch System - Touch for Maximum Light, Click for High Light, Click again for Low
Rear Tail Cap Switch
Luminous Flux 200 Max Watt 3.97
Burn Time Up to 264 hours
Dimensions 206x47mm
Weight 384gms
Power Supply 4 x AA Alkaline Batteries

Slightly above budget, but worth every penny IMHO, but remember that Tamarack give FM's discount.

Simon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Had a Fenix LD10 for quite a while now and its a great little torch, bright and cheap to run.
No expert on head torches as i just use a cheap energiser one. Infact i think it was free with some duracel batteries.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I echo dwardo- I use my LD10 all the time and it's pocket size and versatile with 3 brightness levels, strobe (self defence / disorientation IIRC) and SOS modes.... I would replace it with the same without hesitation.

ATB

KP

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Mace 242
What do you actually want the torch for (yes, I know to see further lol). Do you need it to be hands free, just like your petzl, or can it be hand held (thus restricting the use of your hands). If you are going down the hand held route, then for my own use, I would suggest Fenix torches as others have, as I feel the build quality is far superior to Lenser products (mostly in the electronics, and the quality of the switches/switch covers (which are gas proof for example)). The L2D I use, throws out 180 lumens, and has a nice beam. It only uses two AA's so is small enough to be worn with a head band (thus freeing your hands), as well as having lamp and wand attachments if you had need for them. While all torches in this category look similar, it is the inside that makes all the difference, such as the ability to use lithium batteries (not all torches can!), and staying bright in use, until the very end of the battery life (as your Petzl should).

While I do own the above fenix torch, I will nearly always use a head torch, as it will:
leave my hands free
can be hung from a pocket or pack (and still point in the right direction)
Be instantly ready (as its on my head).
Be easy to hang in my tent, as a tent light, or stand on its back as a lamp.
Be easy to maintain battery life in cold weather, as the battery will be either on the back of my head, or in a pocket (as batteries lose power in extreme cold)
Be generally made of plastic, so easier to touch in very cold weather.
Have a brightly coloured head band (I know many won't want this.......In case the wild life have torches too lol) so will be easy to find if dropped.
Etc etc.

Happy torch hunting :)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Mace 242
What do you actually want the torch for (yes, I know to see further lol). Do you need it to be hands free, just like your petzl, or can it be hand held (thus restricting the use of your hands). If you are going down the hand held route, then for my own use, I would suggest Fenix torches as others have, as I feel the build quality is far superior to Lenser products (mostly in the electronics, and the quality of the switches/switch covers (which are gas proof for example)). The L2D I use, throws out 180 lumens, and has a nice beam. It only uses two AA's so is small enough to be worn with a head band (thus freeing your hands), as well as having lamp and wand attachments if you had need for them. While all torches in this category look similar, it is the inside that makes all the difference, such as the ability to use lithium batteries (not all torches can!), and staying bright in use, until the very end of the battery life (as your Petzl should).

While I do own the above fenix torch, I will nearly always use a head torch, as it will:
leave my hands free
can be hung from a pocket or pack (and still point in the right direction)
Be instantly ready (as its on my head).
Be easy to hang in my tent, as a tent light, or stand on its back as a lamp.
Be easy to maintain battery life in cold weather, as the battery will be either on the back of my head, or in a pocket (as batteries lose power in extreme cold)
Be generally made of plastic, so easier to touch in very cold weather.
Have a brightly coloured head band (I know many won't want this.......In case the wild life have torches too lol) so will be easy to find if dropped.
Etc etc.

Happy torch hunting :)

It is planned to be a companion to the head torch and be a general all round workhorse for when I don't need to have my hands free. It'll not be used only for 'crafting but needs to be kind of light (within reason) for when it's part of carried kit. When I'm not out and about it'll stay in the bedroom on the windowsill for scaring off the fox when it decides to upset the chickens or investigating any other weird noise from the garden. I agree on the head torch points and wouldn't be without mine.

I'm thinking of going down the Fenix route as the LED Lenser P7/14 are a little on the weighty side. I am liking the L2D at the moment - thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hi Tim, I have a Fenix p1d q5 premium, runs on the cr123 batteries, very light and key chain size but it packs ome serious punch, I will try to get some pics of the beam tonight when i take the dogs out, but i highl recomend it, just be sure to clip it to something as it is 70mm long and 21mm wide, here is a shop with the details, i have never used them so cant comment on there service,

Fenix p1d q5

Hope this helps,

southey

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Mace.
I am no expert with torches, but asked, so we could all get some clues, so we could help you better :) Thanks for the reply.
I bought the L2D as it uses AA's which can be bought just about anywhere, but fenix do lots of torches, including the one Southey mentions (I just didn't want to have to buy unusual sized batteries).

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Hi Mace.
I am no expert with torches, but asked, so we could all get some clues, so we could help you better :) Thanks for the reply.
I bought the L2D as it uses AA's which can be bought just about anywhere, but fenix do lots of torches, including the one Southey mentions (I just didn't want to have to buy unusual sized batteries).

Aah... I forgot to say that I'd rather it used AAs, as I try to limit any electronics to them - camera, etc. But not discounting other stuff as southeys suggestion looks interesting.

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have just odered the LED Lenser H7R headtorch, after having a play with one on a night out a few weeks ago and being totally blown away by the beam range!

It is very light aswell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE