Tops Xc EST Alpha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
Hi, just bought this little beast as it caught my eye for a good little heavyweight camping knife. You might know it comes with a survival kit but including a fire steel. However the knife is coated which means you can't use the back of it to strike the steel. I have access to a Dremel and wondered "how hard can it be" to sharpen the top of the knife to remove the coating. Therefore making it possible to use with the steel. Hope that makes sense! (or I could just get a small striker to include - but that kinda defeats the object if you ask me). Few pics here - your thoughts would be appreciated. Hope to give it a good workout next weekend so will post my thoughts on it's use too.

Specs are:

OAL 7.5"
BLADE LENGTH 3 1/4"
THICKNESS 3/16" +
BLADE WIDTH 1 1/2" AVERAGE
BLADE MATERIAL 440 C RC 58 - 59

In the kit you get:

*Survival Saw
*Lansky Sharpener
*2 Ranger Bands
*Compass
*Fishing Line
*2 Fishing Hooks
*Offset Screwdriver
*P-38
*Snare Wire
*L.E.D. Light
*Sail Needle
*Fire Starter
*Razer Blade
*Snap Link
*2 Safety Pins

Cheers!

Tops Xc EST Alpha by Rachel_UK, on Flickr

Tops Xc EST Alpha by Rachel_UK, on Flickr

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You'll probably find the coating wears off if you try to strike with it. Otherwise, shouldn't be difficult to remove a small patch with the Dremel but take care not to overheat the area

Can you post a picture of the kit?

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
TPXCESTACT_1.jpg

Here's a pic I took from a site - I just crammed mine all into the sheath front pocket!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just been reading the reviews on it - looks well thought out as a survival tool. Not to my taste, I should say, but I can see the attraction

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ha! Didn't spot that! That's my SAS application ruined...

:rofl:

The P38 should cope with the role too ~ or be reasonably easy to mod ;) and, less likely but depending on its specifics, one or the other screwdriver heads _might_ be a suitable vendor or mod-able too :D

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
I did wonder about using the saw, but thought that would blunt it. I tried the P38 but it would need to be modified for sure. It's not a real biggy as I have other strikers or I could just put a different striker in the pouch.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I did wonder about using the saw, but thought that would blunt it.

Use the back of the blade as you would do with a knife ~ the scooped bit toward the rear of the saw's handle _looks_ about right to cater for this when the saw's closed up (Could be wrong though, certainly wouldn't be the first time :eek:) .

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
Ah yes Dacorum!! You are right, it is the back of the saw with the blade closed. Well spotted - thanks! Tried the notch in the blade Woof but it's all coated so that didn't work. Dacorum has it with the back of the saw blade. Thanks chaps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE