Top Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Roving Rich said:
Top Kit,
Pile of pants:
Any "survival" knife with a hollow handle - Rambo has alot to answer for.

Can we change the above to read except a Chris Reeve Knife. Always wanted one.

It was always fun to see people with those knifes, and then watch as they struggled to do anything with them.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Biddlesby said:
Ouch; can it be that good to justify £50?!?

Crossing the moors on a cold misty evening ½° could be the difference between life and death.

That's always assuming you know how to use a compass and take magnetic variation into account.

Mountain rescue teams have a word for people that do not prepare themselves properly to go onto the hills........Casualties.... :togo:

RichardIT

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Moon
Oh and my extra wide leather belt I bought of a fellow bushcrafter on this forum. The width makes it super comfy!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Best kit:

Optimus 111 Hiker.
Victorinox SwissTool -- with the Leatherman Charge TTI a close second.
Two litre PET pop bottles.

Worst kit:

Turboflame lighter -- which would be the leader by a very long way were it not for the
LMF spork.
Incandescent lightbulbs.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
TOP KIT
Opticron 8X30 Waterproof Monocular 10 years + and not one problem with it
SureFire 6P 10 years + and just upgraded the bulb
Solingen Survival Knife by Carl Schlieper 30 years

Worst kit ever:

Web-Tex Maya Dust .........................save your cash, its as good as useless...
Vargo Titanium hexagon Stove............An exceptionally rubbish stove...
The new British army clasp knife..........I only got the new one to replace my lost Jack knife that my brother had given me while he was in the Navy The first time I used the new one was to open an oyster shell, the tip bent, the second time I used it was to remove willow bark for cordage the lock spring was to weak and stayed down releasing the blade in my pocket I called the manufacturer and no joy from them, I was so annoyed and disappointed with the knife I put the blade under my boot and tried to snap the blade IT BENT ! round to about 90 degreesl, steel that soft couldn’t ever hold an edge long. Sheffield steel just ain't what it used to be...

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
BEST:
Stainless steel sierra cup; had it for 35 years. Cup, bowl, cooking pot
Bushman's friend knife by William Rodgers: again constant companion for over 40 years and new Mora knife after finding all the positive comments were justified
Paramo Jacket: best I've every had for all-round use

WORST:
HiGear bivvy bag: I'm only 5'9" but it isn't long enough

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
my best 3

Opinel number 6 stainless. (I've got a thing for small sharp knives)
polish issue groundmat (its on a recent thread). its massive and heavy but my god is it comfy. my old scout leader used to say being uncomfortable is for mugs and i couldn't agree more
husqvarna hatchet

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Crusader cook system - just the osprey bottle and bcb mug
Mora Clipper knife
Trangia burner

Those are my favorite items as i carry them all the time, but ive got a fair bit of kit and everything is tried and tested.

Worst..
Plastic sporks

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
!. Blue jeans (what more needs be said)
2. Plumb Boy Scout hatchet; still using the same one I bought over 42 years ago (actually this could be said for most of the Boy Scout gear from that period)
3. Sears single shot 22 (still shooting the same one I've had for over 47 years)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'd be interested to know what people regard as really, really excellent kit, and invite you to name the three best (and, maybe worst)bushcraft/outdoors items you've ever used/owned. First impressions can be misleading and would suggest we restrict this to things you've owned for at least a few months/years…."

My three would probably be...

My Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt and a set of Ullfrotté thermal clothing both of which make my time outdoors much more comfortable.

Also my old Barbour canvas 'tarras' bag. I cut away the original tartan lining to cut down on weight, I have repaired much of the stitching over its twelve year life and it has a large leather patch on the back which covers the hole where the constant rubbing against my side wore the canvas away.

It has traveled the world with me. I have never lost anything that I was carrying in it. I have used it as a pillow a few times. I will probably ask my family to keep my ashes in it.

bag.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Tough one...

My UCO candle lantern in its leather case (the light it gives out is lovely)
My Bilmo bush shirt. (never off my back since its mod)
Buffalo bag (which I sold an NEED to replace)

Worst
Sorrel Caribou boots (awesome kit, just too damn hot)

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Best Kit
Led Lenser P7 torch
Terra Nova Jupiter Bivi
Coleman Solo Cook set (goes everywhere, been used over and over and over)

Worst Kit
Some firesteel that doesn't work
MAYA DUST (ACK, ripped off for sawdust)
Vargo titanium hexagon wood stove (a complete burn, or lack of!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE