Top Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'd be interested to know what people regard as really, really excellent kit, and invite you to name the three best (and, maybe worst)bushcraft/outdoors items you've ever used/owned. First impressions can be misleading and would suggest we restrict this to things you've owned for at least a few months/years.

My suggestions for top kit:

1) Silva type 54 sighting compass. Does everything the ordinary Silva compass does, but is accurate to half a degree or so - about twice the precision of the mirror-lidded type (saves a good bit of walking). Despite a fair amount of abuse it never broke. Lost it up in the Lake District a few years ago (Aaaaaargh!), and replaced it with a much cheaper model. Regretted it ever since.

2) Suzuki Jimny. Looks like a hairdresser's car, but goes anywhere, doesn't break down, cheap to buy and run. Apologies for the blasphemy to all the Landie enthusiasts.

3) Scarpa Manta M4 mountain boots. Top kit.

As for the worst kit:

1) Coleman Peak 1 Stove. Actually very good when working, but mine was hopelessly unreliable. Other folk have said the same thing to me.

2) Anything with a blade stamped 'Made in China'

3) Tasco monocular with red lenses. Tasco do make some good stuff. This isn't one of them.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I agree ... great while they work but a major pain. Not suited to field stripping either :evil:

My top kit list:
Al Mar SERE 2000
Military firesteel
2000 pattern metal mug

High-tech addition ...
Memory Map OS maps! :-D

Doc said:
As for the worst kit:

1) Coleman Peak 1 Stove. Actually very good when working, but mine was hopelessly unreliable. Other folk have said the same thing to me.

J

Jamie

Now I've seen everything!! Thanks for the chuckle Espy!!!!!! I suppose they come under the same heading as chocolate teapots :lol:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
1. Tilley T3 Hat. I've owned several of these over the past eleven years and succeeded in wearing one to destruction. It was swiftly replaced, free of charge, by Tilley Endurables. Tilleys have joined me on just about every trip and excursion for a decade and been used to bail canoes, provide an insulated seat and carry stacks of kindling. Heck, I've even been known to put them on my head...

2. Fisher Stowaway Space Pen: Small, disposeable version of the madly over-specified Space Pen, this will write in conditions where even the traditional hard pencil fails and a regular Biro would have no chance at all.

3. Silva Starter Compass: Until recently this was the only compass I ever used, but has now been replaced by a more compact Silva sighting compass. The Starter cost me one pound and a couple of tokens from Kellogg's Cornflake packets about twenty years ago, back in the days when they offered useful things on the back of cereal boxes!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
+1) Doc, I rate Scarpa boots too.
+2) Truly brilliant mountain quality dome tent, similar to North Face's VE25 but made by the firm now called Terra Nova. Bombproof.
+3) Quality 6x30 waterproof binoculars - anytime, but especially good at dusk or on a boat
(sorry - two more)
+4) Pertex shelled fleeces by the defunct Manchester firm Calange. Took twelve years to wear the first one out.
+5) Those little black fabric gloves - lifesavers when your fingers are dropping off on winter walks

-1) Rohan breeches - bad idea
-2) Wooly hats - itch like hell and stretch

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Only 3?

Er...

1) Maglite.
2) Garmin Etrex Vista.
3) Buffalo mounain shirt.

All absolutely quality items in terms of design and function.

Can't really think of anything really rubbish as I try and buy stuff on recommendation by other people or stuff that I have borrowed and used. My brother spent 200 quid on a Patagonia waterproof breathable jacket which was neither waterproof or breathable. This may have been a one off but I've never used Patagonia stuff myself.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
best bits of kit

1. hennessy hammock ultra light backpacker asym + snake skins
2. my knife
3. MSR dormadry 2lt (and 10lt) water bag with drinking tube
4. leatherman wave
5. photon 2 keyring torch

I think i'll leave it at 5 :-D

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Top kit eh?
1. Kelly Kettle. Boils water fast on just a hand full of sticks.
2. Ortlieb Bags. Map cases and dry bags keep your kit dry no matter how much rain.
3. Laplander Saw. Handy size and very light weight, cuts on both strokes.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good gear,

1 Ventile smock with bulgy pockets.
2. Metal mug with a lid (crusader mug)
3. Small forest axe.
4. Woolly hat.

oh and a mistress to warm my sleeping bag would be a nice addition!

Worst kit.

1. Kelly kettle (to big and odd shaped for carriage)
2. Norrona clothing as it is no good for the damp wet british weather.

Allmi

Nov 10, 2003
Bornheim/Germany
Hi!

My list of reliables:

Fällkniven F1, best knife I ever owned :-D

Victorinox Multitool (as well as all Victorinox SAKs) :cool:

Inova XT5 flashlight :idea:

Trangia Storm Cooking Set :-D

Volkswagen Golf Diesel (370.000 km) still running...(lol) :lol:

Cheers
Allmi

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've got a kelly kettle - got it cheap from Anchor Surplus, who were selling ex-Camel Trophy equipment.

It's very good for what it is, but completely useless for someone on foot. It is a) huge b) an awkward shape and c) the internal surface gets covered in soot and it can be messy.

Fine from a vehicle though.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Best Kit
1. Military Firesteel
2. Barmah australian bush hat
3. MOD survival knife
4. Oh yeah "Buffs" I got about 4 of em...they rock !!

Crap kit.

1. "shop bought" survival kits
2. British Army sleeping bags
3. Mini Maglite (dimmer than a pop idol contestant)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
not sure it counts as bushcraft but the vango force ten has to be one of the best tents in the world ever. you can leave the inner behind if you like
i also like the yurt we made in the wookcraft folk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE