top 10 National Trust ancient tree walks

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Thanks Robin. Hatfield Forest has been one of my regular visits for the best part of 40 years, the trouble is the traffic noise from the M11 and the planes taking off right over your head from Stansted, take the edge off it a bit!!

i remember the National Trust arguing that the Deer population would not survive with the increase in air traffic, not the case there are huge numbers in the forest causing a lot of tree damage. Amazing how nature adapts!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks Robin. Hatfield Forest has been one of my regular visits for the best part of 40 years, the trouble is the traffic noise from the M11 and the planes taking off right over your head from Stansted, take the edge off it a bit!!

i remember the National Trust arguing that the Deer population would not survive with the increase in air traffic, not the case there are huge numbers in the forest causing a lot of tree damage. Amazing how nature adapts!

I worked for the Trust at Hatfield for 3 1/2 years. It is a very special place. I would be astonished if anyone seriously involved in the management there would suggest air traffic would affect deer numbers or that that would be a bad thing. Controlling their numbers was also a difficult issue. The major effects are as you point out are noise pollution and not so obvious air and water pollution. In the northern part of the forest you can smell the aviation fuel when the wind is from the North and there were many rare lichens associated with the ancient pollards. Lichens need clean air.

Still a special place though. I took some photos there a couple of months ago on my last visit and did a blog post about the management of ancient trees. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/09/ancient-trees-and-woodland-management.html

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
"Still a special place though. I took some photos there a couple of months ago on my last visit and did a blog post about the management of ancient trees. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co...anagement.htm"

Excellent Blog Robin, really good read. i have smelt the aviation fuel, i suppose long term it will damage the lichens!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE