Tools for antler and horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I picked up a couple of bits of antler and horn at the wilderness gathering with the intention of making myself a new set of septum horns for myself .
I am not sure what the best tools would be for shaping and smoothing these materials would be . Please could somebody advise me on methods for working with these materials ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Forgive me if im wrong, but wouldn't a medium file and coarse to fine grades of wet 'n' dry do the trick?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Yep files and sandpaper and then steel wool for the final polish. Also wear a dust mask as you really shouldn't breath in the dust.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Will a coping saw be ok for cutting it all into manageable lumps ? Can you warm it up too bend or reshape it ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Ooooops Iv been breathing in dust all this time. I usually pull my shirt over my face after my chest starts hurting though......

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
pumbaa said:
Will a coping saw be ok for cutting it all into manageable lumps ? Can you warm it up too bend or reshape it ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

A coping saw is good for cutting antler and horn.

Horn can be softened with heat; either over a flame (but be careful you don't scorch it) or in steam or boiling water. I've read that you can even weld pieces of horn together by heating them... You might be bale to do this chemically, if you can find the right solvent for keratin.

I don't thin you can do this with antler.

I use a coping saw or fret saw, a small knife (used as a scraper), 80 qnd 120 grit abrasive ribbon and 000 steel wool, finished by wiping down with glycerine.

K.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
A coping saw :eek: . Thas a bit light for heavy work. I thought they were more for thin firbre boards and like acrylic type plastics. I would of thought a hacksaw would be a better choice.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
everyones got it just about spot on with the files, wet or dry and wire wool and oil of what ever description you use to finish i use baby oil ( no comments please:D )

as for saws i use a bone saw that fits in my hacksaw frame then a course hacksaw and as the work gets lighter i use a jeweler's piercing saw for the delicate work in a skilled hand it can be used to sculpt and file too

one word of caution about bone and antler in piercings i have something in the back of my head that says this is not good practice i can't quantify this but pumbaa please check this out if my niggle is correct you can get some very nasty infections this way be careful mate.

ooh just a though but I've seen fake ivory i.e. plastic that looks like ivory maybe this would be a better (safer) bet.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
pumbaa said:
Cheers
Pumbaa
you can snap antler by scorching it with an ember on the end of a stick, it makes it brittle and easier to snap
leon

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Walnut oils my do-it-all, when it comes to finishes. S'great for everything! Not not that :eek: !

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
one word of caution about bone and antler in piercings i have something in the back of my head that says this is not good practice i can't quantify this but pumbaa please check this out if my niggle is correct you can get some very nasty infections this way be careful mate.

ooh just a though but I've seen fake ivory i.e. plastic that looks like ivory maybe this would be a better (safer) bet.

Yeah, I'd like to second that - you'll need to polish it to a VERY fine finish and then disinfect etc. I wouldn't use antler, personally, but I know that buffalo horn is used... my concern about antler would be the porous stuff in the middle, it's probably great at soaking up germs - and holding them.
If you don't mind going for an imitation, it'd probably be safer, but I'd personally understand you wanting one made out of horn. More satisfying :D
Just be really careful... make sure you clean everything well, and hopefully it'll be OK. Although you really shouldn't take my word for it; my solution to stop my piercings getting infected was to take them all out :D Several months for my nose and about a month for my lip and they're still not closed completely....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE