Tooled Sporran. critique needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Like everyone else so far, I am totally gobsmacked by your artistic mind and wonderful workmanship, it is really stunning. I however being a kilt wearer, would draw your attention to a small point worth consideration for the future. Unlike a lot of Scots, I for a long time, wore the kilt on a regular daily basis, and due to the swing of the sporran, it actually wore through the front apron of the kilt, My sporran was worn quite smooth at the bottom edge where it is sewn together at the back, yet the stitching was actually just strong thread which was not raised out from the leather. I just love the way your thonging round the edge gives a contrast to the finished article, but think that in actual use, it may be very abraisive against the material of the kilt, and thus damage the kilt it is worn with. Unlike any other pouch, the sporran, the way it is worn if worn at the proper height, swings naturally, between the front of the thighs, so it is possibly about the only article that would be affected in this way, and only a regular wearer would be aware of this. My kilt was not a cheap one being about £9.00 a yard, about thirty years ago, and there was 8 yards of material in it. Yesterday I was in the Royal Mile in EDINBURGH. and there were kilts on sale for the Tourists at £25.00 for the whole kilt. A good kilt is now about£400.00 plus all the accessories, The jacket waist coat, stockings, shoes , sporran, shirt and tie, plus Skian Dubh, or (Black Knife) but once you have one it means that you are dressed for any occasion, from daily wear to work which I did, to meeting Royalty, which I also had occasion to do. (Bumming again.). I think that the only way to overcome this problem, should you ever make a similar sporran would be , to keep the lovely thong work, at the front, but revert to normal thread forthe bits at the back which are not seen . To be honest I admit it would not look nearly so nice as your current design. Just thought that this was worth a mention. And do carry on with the wonderful work you are producing. It will be cherished long after you are gone. People seldome appreciate the work that goes into real craftsmanship now adays, when a less expensive mass produced item will do the same job.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Like everyone else so far, I am totally gobsmacked by your artistic mind and wonderful workmanship, it is really stunning. I however being a kilt wearer, would draw your attention to a small point worth consideration for the future. Unlike a lot of Scots, I for a long time, wore the kilt on a regular daily basis, and due to the swing of the sporran, it actually wore through the front apron of the kilt, My sporran was worn quite smooth at the bottom edge where it is sewn together at the back, yet the stitching was actually just strong thread which was not raised out from the leather. I just love the way your thonging round the edge gives a contrast to the finished article, but think that in actual use, it may be very abraisive against the material of the kilt, and thus damage the kilt it is worn with. Unlike any other pouch, the sporran, the way it is worn if worn at the proper height, swings naturally, between the front of the thighs, so it is possibly about the only article that would be affected in this way, and only a regular wearer would be aware of this. My kilt was not a cheap one being about £9.00 a yard, about thirty years ago, and there was 8 yards of material in it. Yesterday I was in the Royal Mile in EDINBURGH. and there were kilts on sale for the Tourists at £25.00 for the whole kilt. A good kilt is now about£400.00 plus all the accessories, The jacket waist coat, stockings, shoes , sporran, shirt and tie, plus Skian Dubh, or (Black Knife) but once you have one it means that you are dressed for any occasion, from daily wear to work which I did, to meeting Royalty, which I also had occasion to do. (Bumming again.). I think that the only way to overcome this problem, should you ever make a similar sporran would be , to keep the lovely thong work, at the front, but revert to normal thread forthe bits at the back which are not seen . To be honest I admit it would not look nearly so nice as your current design. Just thought that this was worth a mention. And do carry on with the wonderful work you are producing. It will be cherished long after you are gone. People seldome appreciate the work that goes into real craftsmanship now adays, when a less expensive mass produced item will do the same job.

thanks for taking the time to write that i appreciate it bud :) I am a scotsman myself (migrated down here 4 months ago) and wore my kilt daily for several years and i'm aware of the wear and tear they can cause on a kilt (mine is a £300+ tailored heavyweight) however the customer will only wear this for the occaisional wedding and he wanted the entire thing laced up so my thinking was it would not be worn enough to cause any abbrasions to the kilt or the sporran. this is the second 'modern' styled sporran i have made and i must be honest they are a chore to do i much prefer making the soft culloden styled sporrans which in my opinion stand up to a lot more wear and tear as the seams are all on the inside but each to their own ;)

posted these off to the customer yesterday without ever getting any better pictures. got home from post office and it has been sunny ever since! thanks for all the feedback folks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE