Too, too warm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This heat is brutal :sigh:
I've been clearing out sheds for the past few days, and though I'm glad it's dry, it's far too blooming hot.
The temperature at the inside of the roof of the shed I'm working on just now is 47oC :eek:
I've given up until the evening.

No wonder folks in hot countries take siestas :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ach Toddy, that's a job for the winter.:rolleyes:

It's too hot for me down here in Norfolk and that's without working.

Just had a nice bimble in the woods with a dog; cool and refreshing. Shame I had to come home really but I've got the tea to cook.:)

I agree with you Toddy, here in the West it's way too hot. I went birding and fishing on some wee lochans out on Rannoch Moor on Friday and it was lovely. I made the mistake of covering my arms in Avon skin so soft for the midges but there was a fair skelp of wind so hardly any showed up but my arms and shoulders are like a lobsters after the cooking now! Doh! It's the first time I've been sun burnt since I was a kid and foolish me thought that the cooling wind would stop me burning :eek: er no pmsl I could only get to sleep by wrapping damp t towels around my arms and shoulders :eek: :lmao: Oh dear it's time this old dog learned some new tricks! hahaha

Well it's to get up to ten degrees cooler over the next week so I think I'll take the kayak up the west coast with Midgie (my good lady) and enjoy the fair weather!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I went canoeing on the Nevern and the sea today..if it had not been for a force 3-4 it would have been far too hot!
I tried sitting in the garden with a cuppa when I got home but had to retreat out of the sun!
Factor 60 sun creme has kept me from burning ...but it sure helps sand stick to you!

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Spent today digging my new veg patch, which at the moment would be more acurately described as my bracken patch... in the Midday heat.:11doh:

Back to work tomorrow though, which, although it means working next to 3 bread ovens all day, also means nearly 2 hours of woods walking to get there and back. And it's never too hot in the woods! :cool:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Our thermometer hit 29 Celsius here in Finland today, and with a sunset time of 11pm, it's gonna be a hot night to try and sleep.

Still we pay for it in the Winter, with only 5 hours of sun-up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been in the garden all day with just a pair of shorts on, I like hot weather though.

There was just enough of a breeze to keep it civilised I thought.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've been sat outside the past two days doing a stall at gardening Scotland, and I was out all day on friday at work. I am now seriously sun addled.:werd:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
not nice if your a tree surgeon, health and safty make us wear chainsaw protective trousers which are almost unbarable in the heat:( on the hotest days there is a real posability of heat stroke if you dont drink enough. also theres the horid fealing of wet sweaty legs when you take them off:yuck:

pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Spheres are good at retaining heat...I resemble a sphere too well to enjoy hot weather and am better off in the cold.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I mus admit that I loved the hot weather in Cyprus when I lived there, but after a few weeks of temperatures well in the 40's I would often wish for a good downpour of rain. I was there 87/88 and the local radio even issued heat warning as the temps were hitting 45+ during the day and in fact some local people died that season. Back then, some locals would sleep on the flat roofs of their homes just to try and keep cooler at night.

After living there a couple of months one local refused to serve me a beer one lunchtime, he said "No beer in the day time Rich, only stupid tourist drink alcohol in the heat, your one of us now" That was the last time I got charged tourist prices for food and drink there, after that I got charged 'locals' rate:) Wonderful people.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
This heat is brutal :sigh:
I've been clearing out sheds for the past few days, and though I'm glad it's dry, it's far too blooming hot.
The temperature at the inside of the roof of the shed I'm working on just now is 47oC :eek:
I've given up until the evening.

No wonder folks in hot countries take siestas :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Aye, 48 degrees and 90% humidity in the greenhouse yesterday... And that's with all the vents open. Brutal!

Fortunately, my very generous allotment neighbours had a cooler and a spare beer. Lovely people. :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
My secret weapon for combating the heat(getting all my hair hacked off) worked wonders until I realised my neck was burning:rolleyes:.
No complaints here though, long may it last.

Spent sunday in Kevs garden sanding the new canoe down in preparation for a proper varnish job. Kept getting the urge to dump the sandpaper, bundle the boat on the car and head for water but determined to see it nicely sealed first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE