Tonight I am drinking......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actaully we should have a "good pub" guide - frm out point of view the Hampshire Bowman should be high - it lets you camp in the grounds!

As well as the two I have mentioned I suggest the "Tan Hill Inn" on the pennines. Any pub whose owner trains sheepdogs on the surrounding hills and sells draught Theakstones OP can't be bad!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I used to camp near nun's cross farm, and walk up to the Plume of Feathers in Princetown for a beer or two..

...always took longer to walk back to the tent :1244:

Thats where my works christmas do was held..Free food and drink all evening...

I couldn't go.....:(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now that is a cracking idea!! I did not know that about the Bowman could get messy, very messy.
Lou

Yep - all three of my top 3 you can camp / bivi outside when beer becomes more important than going home :). We could do some guided bimbles / staggers round there too - Bushwacker Bob probably knows the area at least as well as me :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Tonight, I am NOT drinking!

Was showing some friends around Prague this weekend. Last night, leaving the pub :1244: I went with my friends to ensure they made it safely to their hotel without falling asleep on the tram and ending up in some industrial estate on the Western outskirts, unable to communicate with the locals. It happens to tourists quite often, I told them.

So, after seeing them back, I hopped on another tram and - you guessed it - promptly fell asleep, to be woken up by the driver at the end of the line in some deserted industrial estate on the Eastern outskirts of town, barely able to communicate with the only person I could find... Trams early on a Sunday morning out there are few and far between - made it home tired, freezing, and very sheepish, at 10.30 am. :banghead:

As for home brew, I'm trying to learn from the Czechs. Here, people make their own fruit (generally plum) brandy, called Slivovice. The better stuff comes from Moravia. Locals claim it has restorative powers, similar to the magical Hot Toddy. If I can persuade someone to give me a recipe I'll post it here. There are local distilleries who will distill and bottle your home made brew, which makes it a bit safer than doing it with a copper pot still in the shed! It varies in flavour depending on the maker's recipe. Some taste like petrol, while others are more like Ronson lighter fuel.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I wont be drinking anything tonight, I have not recovered from last nights cheap rum stint which finished at 4.15 am. Not only will I not be drinking tonight, I have decided to never drink again.
...well, just until the next time anyway....

I only once home brewed some wine. I was 11 at the time and my aunt made us climb a tree and gather elderberries. she then bottled it for us and we made some other interesting wines such as rhubarb and banana. We largely forgot about them until a few years back when I was 21 and went up to the attic to get them. We drank the whole stash within about a month, it was aged ten years and delicious. Knocked our socks off.

C

cakey

Actaully we should have a "good pub" guide - frm out point of view the Hampshire Bowman should be high - it lets you camp in the grounds!

As well as the two I have mentioned I suggest the "Tan Hill Inn" on the pennines. Any pub whose owner trains sheepdogs on the surrounding hills and sells draught Theakstones OP can't be bad!

Red

arr my neck o the woods! have you tryed the falcon at arncliffe? gets ya ale in a jug and flatter than a witch's....well you get the idea, great place, gods own county

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
On the subject of good pubs do any of the Aberdare boys (seem to be quite a few now) now if the Llew Goch is still going in Penderyn, i`ve lost quite a few days there in the past used to carry a cracking selection of real ales.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Dunno how I missed this thread first time around... ;)

At the moment, I am mainly drinking an IPA based on the Munton's Gold IPA kit, but late-hopped with Challenger for a zesty edge, and Brupaks' Fixby Gold. The Fixby Gold is the first batch I've made from this kit, so it's entirely standard - but a very nice hoppy brew it is. I also have another batch of the IPA (but this time late-hopped with Halletau) conditioning, and I've just started another batch of Fixby Gold... I think I'm going to hop this one a bit more once it's over the initial rush of fermentation, but I haven't decided what I'm using yet... Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure what hops I've got in at the minute. I'm sure something will come to hand...

Oh, and I bottled a gallon of elderberry wine yesterday. And I think I've decided that it's time to bite the bullet, buy a 6 gallon boiler and a load of unhopped malt, and start doing the beer properly.

As for pubs, you can't overlook The Clachaig in Glencoe, although I don't think they let you camp right outside any more...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE