ton underblanket or not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
well I've finally bought my 1st hammock (tenth wonder green hornet) and was unsure about if I need an under blanket or not.

The hammocks got a section for me to put my sleep mat, so I wasn't sure if I need an under blanket or if it's over kill.

whats the opinions?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Most mats aren't wide enough for hammock use, though you can stick clothing or other bits of gear to teh sides to insulate shoulders and knees.
They also trap condensation, though not everyone appears to have this issue.
Underquilts are worth it, and are not that much heavier than mats.
My 3/4 UQ weighs round 350g. The DD weighs 1kg from memory

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Snugpak UB is great although quite bulky and not the lightest either.

Down filled full length models are available from the States but they're not cheap when you factor in the shipping and customs charges.

Unsponsored makes some cracking 3/4 UBs which pack down tiny and weigh next to nothing, in colder weather you'll need to add a short section of mat under your feet though.

A half-inflated thermarest or similar works well in between the layers of your hammock, or even inside your sleeping bag.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Why not give it a try on a warm night with a blanket stuffed in there before you splurge on a quilt? I slept out in my Hennessy for a week last summer without any form of under insulation, wasn't cold at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE