Tomato and brown sauce

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Me too. Worse as I got older. The dried tomatoes are milder than fresh.
You can always fine dice a few dried ones and hide them in soup.

If there is such a place as Hell on earth, Ashcroft, BC in August has to be really close to it. The Desert Hills Garden is my Roma tomato source.
I quit buying the fat round ones years ago when I learned that Romas were used for many tomato products.
Oddly, the Romas are usually 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the big round ones.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think 'the best' cook books are subjective, and probably culturally relevant :) I think the ingredients you can source ought to be the base, not so much the book. Most traditional food is made using imperfect ingredients, just fresh and home grown ones, but it's marvellous food :D

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, cookbooks are indeed cultural. I find most N American books and web based receipes 'watered down' taste wise.
My best receipes are sourced from the TV, restaurants and several old cookery books I have.
And my mum of course.

Most modern receipes leave me cold.
But I used to like watching Nigella licking her fingers!:)
One food I am the sole person on Earth able to make it, granddads "sauerkraut bacon omelette".
He invented it during his time on the Italian Front in WW1
Delicious both with ketchup and HP sauce ( my contribution to it)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll copy 9 recipes from the internet. Column 10 is my "take" on the others. Has been a great strategy.

Most of my modern cookbooks are ethnic specialty things. The others, the good stuff,
are essentially textbook references. McGee? I've read it, cover to cover, 700+ pages. Useful.

It has been tradition in my family to die and leave no "family favorite" recipes at all. Nothing. Nada.
I broke with tradition: Over time, I wrote a cookbook of some 150+ recipes. All the things I made, raising my kids.
Then I made an inventory of every last herb, spice, oil and condiment to make everything in the book.
As each kid went off to University, I gave them a copy of the cookbook and a box containing the inventoried ingredients (approx $200.00).
Over the next decade, I added and iterated the book and sent them revisions. Now, I revise the thing every few years for 3 kitchens.
I told the kids to begin with my selection of chapter headings and build their own cookbooks.

Toddy: Downstairs last night, I found 3 x 500ml jars of oil-packed Roma slices from 2014. Are they ever good!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Would be interesting of getting that book!
Do you sell a copy?

If I want - say - a Jewish/Middle Eastern food, then I search in Hebrew. I do not know Hebrew, but I use online translations and such.
Takes time but the result is authentic receipes.

Found a fantastic Chicken Shawarma that way. Like the Americanos say - "Finger Lickin' Good"!

I'll copy 9 recipes from the internet. Column 10 is my "take" on the others. Has been a great strategy.

Most of my modern cookbooks are ethnic specialty things. The others, the good stuff,
are essentially textbook references. McGee? I've read it, cover to cover, 700+ pages. Useful.

It has been tradition in my family to die and leave no "family favorite" recipes at all. Nothing. Nada.
I broke with tradition: Over time, I wrote a cookbook of some 150+ recipes. All the things I made, raising my kids.
Then I made an inventory of every last herb, spice, oil and condiment to make everything in the book.
As each kid went off to University, I gave them a copy of the cookbook and a box containing the inventoried ingredients (approx $200.00).
Over the next decade, I added and iterated the book and sent them revisions. Now, I revise the thing every few years for 3 kitchens.
I told the kids to begin with my selection of chapter headings and build their own cookbooks.

Toddy: Downstairs last night, I found 3 x 500ml jars of oil-packed Roma slices from 2014. Are they ever good!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Chefs will only trade for recipes & formulas that they judge are of equal value. Etiquette that I respect.
And, they added that if I change 3 things, I can call it mine.

My book is a family project and I'm satisfied to know that everyone is using it to this day.
In the beginning it was kid-tested and kid-approved wholesome good food that we could share at the table.
It's changed over the years. Recipes get replaced. Deletes and additions.
Thanks to my cousin's research, we believe we have Greatgrandfather's sugar cookie recipe from the Klondike Gold Rush!

I can only advocate that everybody build their own family book. Start now.
Soap bubbles 6 feet long and 2 feet wide? It's in there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE