Tomato and brown sauce

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tomato sauce is an unrivalled and essential ingredient in making great sweet and sour sauce-google it, its so easy. I also use it at every opportunity as an ingredient in making marinades for pork ribs/belly along with honey, mustard, sugar, salt, vinegar, pepper etc.

Where are those recipes from though? What we call "tomato sauce" in North Americas is NOT catsup. "Tomato sauce" here comes canned and just contains concentrated tomato juice and a few herbs/spices (no vinegar) It's sole use is as an ingredient in cooking more complex dishes. You have another name for it over there, unfortunately I can't recall it at the moment.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Where are those recipes from though? What we call "tomato sauce" in North Americas is NOT catsup. "Tomato sauce" here comes canned and just contains concentrated tomato juice and a few herbs/spices (no vinegar) It's sole use is as an ingredient in cooking more complex dishes. You have another name for it over there, unfortunately I can't recall it at the moment.

Tomato Puree.
Best one is Hungarian Double Concentrated, Golden Pheasant Brand.

I think the Chinese are turning in their mass graves that Ketchup is used in making Sweet & Sour sauce...

ketchup is originally an European concoction. Made with mushrooms and such. Mama Heintz, being dirt poor and without mushrooms, did the best she could. and look what has become of her cooking, one of the Worlds mightiest companies!

Join Heintz, Nestle, Monsanto Diageo and Mackedonaldo and we do not need any Polititians. :)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tomato Puree.
Best one is Hungarian Double Concentrated, Golden Pheasant Brand.

I think the Chinese are turning in their mass graves that Ketchup is used in making Sweet & Sour sauce...

ketchup is originally an European concoction. Made with mushrooms and such. Mama Heintz, being dirt poor and without mushrooms, did the best she could. and look what has become of her cooking, one of the Worlds mightiest companies!

Join Heintz, Nestle, Monsanto and Mackedonaldo and we do not need any Polititians. :)

LOL. Agreed about the Chinese. A bit of research on my part also turned up the word "passata" which I think is closer to what we call "tomato sauce."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tomato purée or passata.
The first one handily comes in tubes, excellent for camping :) but because it's pre-cooked it can be an odd flavour in further cooked sauces. Passata on t'other hand is just cleaned and squeezed tomatoes without skins or seeds.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ironically, the Swiss seem to be the world's largest catsup consumer per capita. Can't remember exactly where I read that though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tomato purée or passata.
The first one handily comes in tubes, excellent for camping :) but because it's pre-cooked it can be an odd flavour in further cooked sauces. Passata on t'other hand is just cleaned and squeezed tomatoes without skins or seeds.

M

Our "puree" here is raw and comes in cans. Our "tomato sauce" on the other hand is cooked and all solids strained out (kinda backwards from there I suppose) What comes in tubes (and cans as well) here is "tomato paste." It literally has the consistency of toothpaste.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I imagine that's just one of the curses of having "the same" language; we don't recognize differences like these. I also imagine mistakes in this type terminology has led to many disappointments (on both sides of the Atlantic) when it caused the use of the wrong ingredients.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, butter in 'sticks' ? it comes in pats (traditional, now usually only local fresh butter) or packs of 250g, and 'all purpose flour' ?….we have white, wholemeal, granary, and plain and self raising in all three…those are just the basic ones I mean….and don't get me started on sugars :roll:
American gluten free recipe book says, 'dehydrated palm syrup' :dunno: it's sugar! it might be fancy, expensive sugar, but it's just like jaggery.

Ah, variety is the spice of life :)

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, butter here comes in 'sticks'. Or 'half sticks'.
The most ironic butter here is one called Plugra or something similar.
States "European flavor" on the package. Ingredient list tells you it is butter with added Flavouring.

I have never seen butter with added flavouring anywhere in the world, except in the US.

Another Tomato preparation we get here is 'sofrito' it is like a Passata with added veg, herbs and spices.
Excellent mixing with Chickpeas and Chorizo in small squares.

All purpose flour - good for anything and nothing.
Counter flour. 00 grade flour. Wholemeal. Unbleached white. Unbleached whole.

Here our Rye flour is rank. The flour can not take the climate, despite us having AC everywhere. Maybe the importation from the US is in hot containers. Goes off at least 6 months before 'Best before'.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I buy both tomato sauce and tomato paste for cooking, neither one is anything like ketchup at all. I'm too lazy to mess with concasse' of tomato.
Butter is sold as 454g bricks and 1/2 bricks, salted or unsalted. I'm sure there are bigger commercial units that I don't care about.
We get nitrogen foamed butter, it's as soft at 4C out of the fridge as any other butter at 20C. Fizzy in a hot pan!

#1 Red northern wheat (hexaploid Group III) from the Canadian prairies is the best flour wheat in the world.
Our durum wheat (tetraploid Group II) is the foundation for Italian pasta. Both grown by my family for nearly a century.
The gluten strengths are manipulated all the way from "weak" flours, pastry flours, through the AP/All Purpose flours to the "strong" flours (high gluten for pasta).
Self-rising flours are a thing of the past.

Not much brand difference, maybe some brand loyalty, my preference is Robin Hood AP flour only as I've used it for many years in 10kg bags.
I've got several rye flours, and some Best-for-Bread which is a partly ground multigrain mix good at 20% of the flour in the bread formula.
If you want rye flavor then buy rye extract and skip the fight with the lack of gluten.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nitrogen foamed butter? Cool.
Would be even cooler if it was Helium foamed.

Proper Rye bread should be dense and heavy. The Germans know how to make the best.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh I assure you, self raising is the most common (cake and biscuit) baking flour. The raising agent is most evenly dispersed that way. Plain flour is used, but not as commonly. We even have SR gluten free flour :)
Rye is not much used here. Stodgy stuff, hard going eating, and boiled bread things (bagels) are not popular. They're both available, and I buy the rye bread occasionally, but half of it ends up bird food. Bagels I would need to be awfully hungry to think of eating. I honestly don't get the appeal :dunno:
Oatflour, bere meal and such like are as common in some areas as wheat. My household eats more oatcakes than we do bread, while English oatcakes are a bread in themselves :)

Few can be bothered making pasta at home, it's 'it'll do' type food. We don't have the huge hype for it of the Latins. Pasta and noodles kind of come with the same connotations. Cheap, quick and easy. Filling if you need it, but it's usually the sauce folks taste….even Tengu, on the tightest of budgets manages butter for hers :)

Soffritto (commercially made stuff) I'm not keen on. It's oddly herbed and seasoned and usually too full of chunky hard bits of onion and pepper skins. I thought it such a good idea, but it kind of falls short of the home made version.

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think you would have to eat/inhale a lot of it to get that great compression character!

I've tried to make rye bread 'boules.' Gisslen recommends no more than 20% rye flour. So be it.
They were absolutely beautiful, going into an oven with steam, no less. Magnificent.
They flattened out so well, I could have sold them to the IOC for the discus event.
The next ones could have been wheels for a dog cart.

Stir 2 tbs Italian Mixed Herbs into 500 ml olive oil.
Pack the jars with dehydrated Roma tomato slices.
Fill with the herbed oil. Serve on anything and with anything,
eat from the jar. My home made tomato treat for myself.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Self-rising flours are rare here. Mixing in leavening agents never seems difficult.
Me? I'm just about only a yeast baker, buying the largest possible jars.

Home made pasta is really quick and easy. Freezes like a dream.

I'll smoke a couple of Cornish hens with apple wood.
While that's happening (3 hours), I'll thaw a block of my pasta
and roll it to the thickness of a beer mat.

Next, scatter lots of herbs, fresh or dry, on 1/2 the length of the strip.
Fold in half and roll 4X for stained glass pasta. I like to cut linguine.
Make tortelli, tortelini, I have a raviolamp and a ravioli stuffer.

Imperia is the best machine, Atlas is very good, Schule has sloppy gears.
I know there are others but those are the 3 that I've used.

I buy a bunch of diffferent pasta shapes from cous-cous to manicotti and large shells.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your home made tomato treat sounds good. I might well try that.

I do have a pasta machine, and the cutters/stamps for raviolli, etc., I have made pasta, but it's all just pasta. It's 'it'll do' food, it's no favourite. Indeed Son1 refuses to eat any pasta at all. It's gummy, slithery, carbohydrate stuff with very little flavour in itself.

SR flour is easiest for evenly dispersed raising agent, much easier than sieving the flour three or four times…..and mind I bake almost daily.
I do use plain flour, but I think I go through three or four times as much SR as plain, and that seems to be the rate from the supermarkets too. There's always plain flour reduced and not SR, put it that way :) I always check the dates on the packs too since plain seems to sit longest on the shelves.

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Interesting reverse in flour preferences here. I don't bother to even look for SR in the stores.
Wayne Gisslen's textbook: Professional Baking is in common use in culinary arts schools around the world.

"Stained Glass" pasta is worth the effort. There's a lot of fiddle-diddle and I'm able to engage company, plyed with drink, to help out.
Most of them have never made pasta. The real tricks are the sauces. I've learned to make a dozen.
Alfredo, Raphaello, Mornay and 4-cheese have an unwritten additive = nutmeg.

Do up the Roma tomatoes. Dry them until they are pliable but really leathery.
They are quite the nibble. Bet you can't stop at one slice!
I started when I refused to pay the store price for a dinky little imported jar, how tricky can this be?
That's one thing that I can buy in season which is top quality: Roma tomatoes from Ashcroft, BC.
I buy a 25lb case and never remember from one year to the next what the price was.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
RV ? I'm a housewife. The Scottish Women's Rural Institute cookbook was (and is, Son1 pinched the great aunt's sixty year old version when we cleared out her house) the standard, and the Be-Ro cookbook comes next.
I do use LaRousse Gastronomique, but I've never heard of Wayne Gisslen, though I have a library of cook books :)
Scotland was called The Land o' Cakes, though I firmly suspect the UK as a whole, and Ireland, qualifies. The popularity of baking shows on tv reinforces that idea. French mignardises are delicious and inspiring morsels though.

Nutmeg is the classic addition to many of our sauces, especially cheese ones. Older British recipes make much use of mustard and horseradish as well, and those are native and grow easily here.

Tomatoes are either vine or off, and the vast majority are imported now. Variety is very hit or miss. That said, I bought Scottish plum tomatoes the other day and they actually smell and taste like the home grown ones used to when there were glasshouses all up the Clyde Valley. Not economically viable now.
25lbs of tomatoes I'd never use in one go. Not even for chutney and sauces, but then we don't do pasta much :)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In Italy the vast proportion of pasta eaten is dried. Bronze die made.
Our Sifrito has tiny pieces of veg. I like the brand Goya. Plus one made in Central America. Honduras?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gisslen is a text book for baking in a culinary arts program. Rare to see it on any domestic shelf. Several thousand recipes for you to make your living with.
A CD to scale up any formula to car-load quantities and build your grocery list at the same time. Search in www.abeBooks.co.UK and see if you can find it for cheap.
The teaching chefs gave it to me as a retirement gift. The final chapter deals with hot sugar art. Like colored glass blowing.

The best reference work that you can own is Harold McGee's classic On Food and Cooking. Mostly food chemistry and ingredients, like a whole page of natural sweeteners
other than sugar and Stevia. It's expensive. TG, it was a gift from my brother.

25 pounds of tomatoes which are some 90% water does not leave you with much at the end of the day. Trust me.
Dry, that's only 2.5 lbs of food. It's enough to make me wish I bought 2 x 25lb cases.
I bag them and freeze. Maybe make up 2-3 x 500 ml jars with seasoned oil. On pizza, they don't go very far, either.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE