Planting and transplanting wild edibles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
So I set up my new Deer Stand on a section of our property that hasn't been used in a couple of years. Subsequently its overgrown pretty bad and I have a lot of work to do getting it all tidied up. We know there is plenty of Deer, Wild Hogs, Bear, etc etc that travel through the area. I've got 2 different water sources I can see from my stand. I have already set out a salt blocks, and I'm going to be setting up a feeder as well. I already have a plan as for cleaning out dead trees and possibly some of the new growth(less than 6" diameter trees) just to open thing up and give me a greater field of vision, but I'm also looking to plant/transplant various wild edibles. Right now my list includes blackberries, rasberries, crabapples, and persimmons. But I have also considered planting Buffalo grass as a ground cover in some areas. The benefit to Buff grass is that it is tough it doesn't take much water, It doesn't grow up so no mowing/slingblading and my understanding is that with it in place I wouldn't have to worry about weeds, poison oak, poison ivy, or poison sumac. I haven't used a stand since I was a child so the idea of setting up a stationary hunting site is a bit alien to me. I am aware of the applicable laws and my plan does not break any of them. But I would love to hear any words of wisdom from those of you who have set up successful stand sights. And those who have done similar things. What worked for you what you liked what you didn't? Also if you have experience with Buff grass or any other form of ground cover that you believe would work well for keeping weeds and poison(leaves of 3 plants in check) I would love to hear from you.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
In this country deer love rose petals.

So plant the most fat blossomed and expensive roses you can find and the deer will come and deflower them for you.

They also like conkers. (Horse chestnuts)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not knowing what state you're in I can't say for sure, but most states prohibit feeders and salt licks unless you keep them up year round. If you can do that however they are excellent at both attracting the deer and producing/maintaining a quality herd.

Wild blackberries might work but in my experience the berry brake is in different places from year to year so it would'ny likely be a long term thing. Leave any acorn bearing oaks alone when you tidy up the kill zone. Millet is a good feeder crop. Apple trees are also good.

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
Not knowing what state you're in I can't say for sure, but most states prohibit feeders and salt licks unless you keep them up year round. If you can do that however they are excellent at both attracting the deer and producing/maintaining a quality herd.

Wild blackberries might work but in my experience the berry brake is in different places from year to year so it would'ny likely be a long term thing. Leave any acorn bearing oaks alone when you tidy up the kill zone. Millet is a good feeder crop. Apple trees are also good.

I'm in AR and we keep our blocks and feeders up all year long and are very particular about following all applicable laws. So no worries there. I know Deer at least around here love Persimmons so I am planning to transplant a few of them into the area. Have any thoughts on a ground cover plant that would help keep weeds and such in check?

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
In this country deer love rose petals.

So plant the most fat blossomed and expensive roses you can find and the deer will come and deflower them for you.

They also like conkers. (Horse chestnuts)

I've heard about Horse Chestnuts before, but never hear of Roses I'm going to plant a couple of those just to see how it works out. Thanks.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Deer at least around here love Persimmons so I am planning to transplant a few of them into the area. Have any thoughts on a ground cover plant that would help keep weeds and such in check?

I hadn't thought of persimmons. Sounds good. Regarding weeds it depends on just what you consider weeds. In a pasture blackberries are weeds but in wild lands or deer habitat they're cool (as you already mentioned. The local game management areas (both state and national) plant millet. A LOT of millet. If you want to do a bit of row cropping, plant soybeans. It'll feed the deer and the quail.

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
I hadn't thought of persimmons. Sounds good. Regarding weeds it depends on just what you consider weeds. In a pasture blackberries are weeds but in wild lands or deer habitat they're cool (as you already mentioned. The local game management areas (both state and national) plant millet. A LOT of millet. If you want to do a bit of row cropping, plant soybeans. It'll feed the deer and the quail.

I was thinking of doing a couple of (I believe they're called forest gardens) The Image below is not mine found it on the web. This is what I want to do this spring.
09-the-seven-layers-of-a-forest-garden.gif

I'm thinking I will put 2 of these in, 1 down hill from my stand close to the creek, and the other uphill near the spring. I am trying to decide what plants to use. I am also planning on planting a few Berry patches. This is my concept for them. The image below is not mine I found it on the web.
a97addcd71f6d72429c1d95125cc01d4.jpg

I haven't walked the entire effective fire zone but based on what I have seen so far I'm not overly worried about weeds per-say, more looking for a way to keep poison(leaves of 3 type plants) in check. I would love it if the ground cover plant I use where edible not so much for myself but for the wild game. And I would prefer if the plants I use be ones I won't have to replant every year. I may do a food plot as well at some point.

Edit: Just to be clear, I know that both of the above garden/permaculture concepts are based around human consumption. I would love to use plants that are safe for human consumption but my idea is that these will be for the wildlife. I understand that may require some modification to the idea/plan, and welcome all thoughts, ideas, and suggestions towards that end.

Last edited:

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Yep, you're right .
these grow in patches (herbaceous layer) but they will attract wildlife...

although if you need, you will find more info on ground covering edibles on the same website...
Here is one interesting write up:

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/using-green-manures-orchards

Green manures as they sometimes are referred to, vary immensely and research into your climate and the purpose of its use is recommended...

However here are some more ideas for ground cover crops...

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/08/06/cover-crops-solutions-chart/

http://tcpermaculture.com/site/category/forest-gardening/groundcover-layer/

http://www.practicalpermaculture.com/handouts/10 B Edible Ground Cover.pdf

I'm sorry if its not specifically about deer stands and crops that will attract them, ive never set up a deer stand so can't help you with species that would attract them, but i just thought id share some plants suited for your forest garden and perhaps multi purpose your edibles so everyone is a winner...

Here's one that maybe more helpful to your needs...

https://www.openpermaculture.com/magazine/seven-tips-creating-garden-attract-wildlife

Last edited:

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
Yep, you're right .
these grow in patches (herbaceous layer) although if you need, you will find more info on ground covering edibles on the same website...
Here is one interesting write up:

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/using-green-manures-orchards

Green manures as they sometimes are referred to, vary immensely and research into your climate and the purpose of its use is recommended...

However here are some more ideas for ground cover crops...

http://tcpermaculture.com/site/category/forest-gardening/groundcover-layer/

http://www.practicalpermaculture.com/handouts/10 B Edible Ground Cover.pdf

I'm sorry if its not specifically about deer stands and crops that will attract them, ive never set up a deer stand so can't help you with species that would attract them, but i just thought id share some plants suited for your forest garden and perhaps multi purpose your edibles so everyone is a winner...

Here's one that maybe more helpful to your needs...

https://www.openpermaculture.com/magazine/seven-tips-creating-garden-attract-wildlife

No apologies needed plants are my biggest weakness when it comes to the outdoors I just didn't pay enough attention when my Grandfather tried to teach me about them. So I'm kinda a dummy in that department. I will be reading each of these articles thoroughly. Your help and direction are much appreciated.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
No apologies needed plants are my biggest weakness when it comes to the outdoors I just didn't pay enough attention when my Grandfather tried to teach me about them. So I'm kinda a dummy in that department. I will be reading each of these articles thoroughly. Your help and direction are much appreciated.
No problem , just remember your location (?) and climate is what really counts when choosing these species...

👍

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
No problem , just remember your location (?) and climate is what really counts when choosing these species...

👍

I'm in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. There's a couple of different plant Nurseries here, and I think I'll go through and figure out what I want to use and then double check with one of the ladies at the nursery to make sure my choices will grow well in our environment. I'll just make sure I have a 2nd and possibly a 3rd choice for each plant. That way if 1 won't work I can substitute 1 that will.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
That sounds like the right way to go about it...

What a beautiful part of the world you live in!

Anyhow
altitude , temperature ranges, soil composition are all important factors...
Trial and error are inevitable but some research will help greatly and some of these species are actually pretty hardy and defy all the books assumptions.
:)

Here is another interesting link , with a chart (click able) relating to the U.S. crops.

Best regards

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. There's a couple of different plant Nurseries here, and I think I'll go through and figure out what I want to use and then double check with one of the ladies at the nursery to make sure my choices will grow well in our environment.......

The lady at the nursery is probably honest enough but remember, she's also trying to sell you something. I'd also check with your local Agricultural Extension Office (the County Agent) www.uaex.edu

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Another info source could be back issues of Field& Stream magazine.
They used to have a searchable index.
I'm sure you aren't the first to landscape a prospective hunting location.

What do the neighbors tell you about browse?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oh, sorry. "browse" is a term we use for the various plants and shrubs that the deer feed on, without getting specific.
There are deer running wild all over my little village. So in my case, browse consists of:
rhododendron bushes, peonie leaves, all my outdoor potted herbs, apple tree twigs, any grape vines they can reach.
They won't touch the rose or lilac bushes at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE