Tomato and brown sauce

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What can I do with an excess?

Cleaning holiday lets and one of the perks is claiming any abandoned edibles

The oil is now herb oil

But I havent a new plan for my red and brown.

Ive tried tomato as a substitute for puree on my pasta (pasta with just a bit of butter and tomato puree is an old fave of mine) its no good.

What do you do?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Could you sauce some pizza crusts with the tomato? Maybe jack it up with oregano, garlic and thyme.
Then a sprinkle of grated pizza cheese. Next, roll it up and cut it in 1" thick slices and bake like cinnamon buns.

Sam Panopoulos (83) was the Canadian inventor of the Hawaiian pizza (ham & pineapple) back in 1962. He died yesterday, June 09. Funeral is Monday.
A whole bunch of us are making Hawaiian to eat on Monday to spite Iceland's president Guoni Johannesson.
He wanted to make it illegal to put pineapple on pizza. Wasn't even born when the Hawaiian was invented.

This is trivia that you don't need to know to make your Monday complete. Eat pizza anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could use them to make 'chutney' with veggies and fruits.
There's usually enough vinegar and spices in those sauces that you can simmer the veggies in them and as they reduce down the whole lot cooks and thickens. Keeps fine for a bit in the fridge anyway. Pretty good with baked potatoes, on crackers, and with salads, or just to dip pieces of hot nan into. I like idli, but they're a footer if you don't have the steamer racks. You eat meat, don't you ? it'd be good with sausages !

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No it's not. HP sauce is made of fruits and vinegar thickened with flour and seasoned with spices.
The only preservative is vinegar and salt.

We might not 'need' it, but it's a tasty addition to food, and in the quantities folks use it, it's hardly either a sugar or an acid 'bomb' on the digestion.

Himself would really miss brown sauce on sausages and the like.

I'd miss chutney :D

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
HP Sauce and Heintz' Ketchup are the best / most natural, but I am not so sure about the rest.
He did not say which brand, I assumed a generic one.

If he has loads, then I assume he would eat lots. Small amounts are not unhealthy, but they do add up to the daily intake, unfortunately.

I do not like ketchup, but HP sauce and Lea & Perrins Worc. Sauce I could not be without!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The generic Vitamin K comes out of the same kettle as the brand name stuff. Brand loyalty does the rest.
Heinz, in a display of corporate citizenship, pulled out of Canada, leaving the growers and factory people destitute.
They get the back of my hand for what they did to the entire Leamington district.

In stepped French's who picked up everything: crop and processing, right down to the printing of the labels in Canada.
Quite a different seasoning and taste unlike Heinz. They are far from the same. Buy a tin of 'tomato sauce.' Different again.

Just the other day, I was looking at the label on a can of Heinz Baked Beans. Lo and behold, they have changed their labels!
There's a new, stamp-sized flag on the label which says: "Made in Canada". Too little, too late, for me.
Frankly, I didn't expect Heinz to show any sensitivity at all.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Heintz and other mulinationals only show a sensitivity when it comes to the dollars and cents.

I like Heintz ketchup.I also like Del Monte and Libby's.

In Sweden I used to love a Heintz product called Heintz Chili Sauce. Basically a little bit hotter ketchup.
People in Sweden are World Champions on the Chili Ketchup!

HP brown sauce is also owned by Heintz.

Edit: damn, Lea & Perrins too!

Note I only buy the UK made L&P Worcest. Sauce, the N. American one is foul.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't be too quick to imagine that Canada is in lock step with the Excited Snakes of America when it comes to food.
Our L&P is imported from England, as it should be. Heinz Chili sauce is easy to find. French's Canadian-made ketchup is far better.
Cock Brand Sweet Chili Sauce is imported from Thailand although the Vietnamese version is a close second.
British cheddar cheese is heavenly. Does the "Coast" brand ring a bell with anoyone here?
We are quite capable of upscrewing food with no outside help.
You ought to try what is labelled as a Canadian-made "crumpet."
So poor? I bought some pan rings to try to make my own!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Coastal cheddar cheese is very good. I assume you mean that one?
We get it here too. I wish they could do a properly matured Coastal though. Another year maturing.
Some good Aussie and NZ cheddars out there but a bit mild. I likr mine well aged. You can get those in UK.
The US brands I think are ridiculously under aged.
40 years of smoking - you need well aged cheese!

The US made L&P is very sweet and lacks flavour. I ruied a couple of steaks before I realized it was a bad copy.

You need to look very closely on the label to see where it is made.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't even use ketchup as an ingredient. For chips, aka french fries, that's OK.
Just as soon start with paste and sauce and build the herbs into it for what I want to eat.
Just used store-bought salsa, spag sauce and antipasto on each of 3 pizzas. Bleh.
The heat in the Mexican salami saved the day. Variety, yes but home brew pizza sauce is best.

Could be called 'Coastal.' That cheese comes and goes like the wind. Find it and buy 6 at a time.
Much of our domestic cheese production comes from the east, Ontario and Quebec.
A lot of it is really bland so I stick to buying cheese from England and Europe.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The best thing to use the catsup (tomato sauce) for is as it was intended; a condiment for chips, hash browns, fried fish, fried oysters, fried shrimp, scrambled eggs, sandwiches, and ground beef. If you want to use it in a recipe, use it in the glaze/sauce on meatloaf, or in the sauce for swiss steak. It's also a common ingredient in many recipes for home made BBQ sauce. It also can be used to make a very, very good seafood cocktail sauce by mixing equal parts catsup and horse radish (spice it up a bit with Tobasco or any other hot sauce if you like) HOWEVER!! It absolutely sux as an ingredient in, or substitute for, pasta sauce!

Likewise for the brown sauce; use it as it was intended as a condiment on your favorite foods that call for it or as an ingredient in those home made BBQ sauces.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Coastal cheddar cheese is very good. I assume you mean that one?
We get it here too. I wish they could do a properly matured Coastal though. Another year maturing.
Some good Aussie and NZ cheddars out there but a bit mild. I likr mine well aged. You can get those in UK.
The US brands I think are ridiculously under aged.
40 years of smoking - you need well aged cheese!

The US made L&P is very sweet and lacks flavour. I ruied a couple of steaks before I realized it was a bad copy.

You need to look very closely on the label to see where it is made.

The L&P Special Edition is something else, makes the original taste like rusty vinegar. It's getting harder to find now, but I have a couple of bottles in the cupboard. If I see more, I'll definitely stock up.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Produc...+Perrins+Worcestershire+sauce+special+edition

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I got 1 opened and 3 unopened bottles of those Special Ed L&P. Golden label, correct?

Son bought them for me in UK before he moved to The Great Cultural Wilderness, North America......
:)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Balsamic vinegars are like that, like the differences in wines.
I just checked. I have 8 different-tasting balsamic vinegars in the cupboard. 6 are from Modena, 2 were $15.00/250 ml.
One is a California Zinfandel, the 8th one "claims" to be a balsamic. But, it has a HUGE flavour of raspberries. Pungent, even.

Are malt vinegars noticably different?

Ketchup/catsup/tomato sauces are all different.
Do you suppose we could cruise all the fast food joints, collect the ketchup packets and have a taste test?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I got 1 opened and 3 unopened bottles of those Special Ed L&P. Golden label, correct?

Son bought them for me in UK before he moved to The Great Cultural Wilderness, North America......
:)

That's the one, so much better than the original, makes a demon Bloody Mary. Now all you need a good Cheddar for cheese on toast.

I remember a while back you asking about Polish veg stock powder. I can't post you cheese, but I'm happy to send a pack of stock if you want some. It's ok stuff, quite MSG, but puts lots of life into soups and stocks.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Tomato sauce is an unrivalled and essential ingredient in making great sweet and sour sauce-google it, its so easy. I also use it at every opportunity as an ingredient in making marinades for pork ribs/belly along with honey, mustard, sugar, salt, vinegar, pepper etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE