tom brown tracker ??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The "tracker" is probably one of the worst designed survival knives that I've seen in my entire life. Its cutting capacity is very limited by blade design, is difficult to re-sharpen because of its angle of drain, and its use as a weapon of defense is less than zero (yes, protect your life using your knife as a weapon is part of the tasks required of a real survival knife)

Personally I think the "Tracker" is a good example of how marketing can create a flagship product, from a negligent and tool...

Chris my name is Bryce and first I want to compliment your quote on the "Being lost is astate of mind not a state of place" and I have one word for that in response "Enlightening"...anyway I used a friends version of the knife a bit but never had the real chance or situation to use it to its "proposed full potential" I will say that it does split, fillet and break wire pretty well but dressing a rabbit in the woods with that monster knife was like going after a mosquito with a machine gun. Do you or anyone have any input for me before I go and spend then money on the tracker knife by Tom Brown? Also I don't want it through the Tops company , what other companies (if any) have the patent rights to produce an exact model or what do any of you reccommend? Thank you for listening

•Bryce• Sapper1371
U.S.M.C.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The "tracker" is probably one of the worst designed survival knives that I've seen in my entire life. Its cutting capacity is very limited by blade design, is difficult to re-sharpen because of its angle of drain, and its use as a weapon of defense is less than zero (yes, protect your life using your knife as a weapon is part of the tasks required of a real survival knife)

Personally I think the "Tracker" is a good example of how marketing can create a flagship product, from a negligent and tool...

The people who did the knife fighting for the film had nothing but bad things to say about it. I would argue against the fact that a knife needs to have hand protection, it is about how you use it, and the tracker does not lead itself to that.

Chris my name is Bryce and first I want to compliment your quote on the "Being lost is astate of mind not a state of place" and I have one word for that in response "Enlightening"...anyway I used a friends version of the knife a bit but never had the real chance or situation to use it to its "proposed full potential" I will say that it does split, fillet and break wire pretty well but dressing a rabbit in the woods with that monster knife was like going after a mosquito with a machine gun. Do you or anyone have any input for me before I go and spend then money on the tracker knife by Tom Brown? Also I don't want it through the Tops company , what other companies (if any) have the patent rights to produce an exact model or what do any of you reccommend? Thank you for listening

•Bryce• Sapper1371
U.S.M.C.

The most interesting thing recently about the tracker has been that Dave Canterbury does not use one anymore. Everyone seems to be falling in line with the mora style knife as the best most practical knife for everyday outdoor use.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I've had a version of it for about a year now, but haven't really used it very much. I got it from a guy on another forum that dabbles in a little knife making, and while he did a great job making the knife, it's just not really my thing as I prefer a blade in the 3.75" to 4" range. It was one of those deals where a lot of people were talking about it and I figured that I would try it out and see what the fuss was all about. I have handled a Tom Brown Tracker from Tops knives, and I feel that mine is better quality and a much better edge and grind. I've actually seen a lot of info from guys that like the Tops version say that they had to have it re-profiled before they really liked it.

I admit that I'm a bit fond of my axes and have never been much of a fan of big knives and their chopping abilities. Having said that, my version does chop fairly well and I've used it to split up some pine and oak several times. For me, I just think that it's too big and heavy for a knife and would rather carry a smaller knife and axe. Plus, it's bigger than anything that I would want to strap to my hip and would most likely be transported in my pack if I ever took it any where. Here are a few pictures of the one that I have.

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
That knife looks a lot better than the Topps trapper, however I really don't like it, I had one a few years back to try out as I was curious but its an awful lump of steel that can't do any job to a reanable standard, I found the blade far to soft and the grinds were not to my liking. Saw was a load of crap and the handle too square. Just think what you could get for the money, probably a folding saw, quality axe and a custom 4" blade bushy by a reputable maker from here or the USA.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I believe HooDoo says it best, the TBT is a boat anchor. I went to a 7 day bushcraft course a few years back and one guy had a Tom Brown Tracker and I got to handle it some. It weighs as much as my LR Disco and it is some steel that seems to resist being sharpened. The guy on the course wanted to sharpen his and tried the diamond stone that was on his all magic gadget sheath, could not even begin to get an edge. I asked if I could try and he handed me the huge piece of steel and I tried a few different stones on it and it stayed all rounded on the edge. I could not imagine owning a knife that useless.

There are a number of folks over on Bushcraft USA that love their Trackers. I think it is stubborness that makes them use the knife and preach it's usefullness. I would rather have a Mora any day of the week!
Tom Brown has a vivid imagination, in many regards.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
That knife looks a lot better than the Topps trapper, however I really don't like it, I had one a few years back to try out as I was curious but its an awful lump of steel that can't do any job to a reanable standard, I found the blade far to soft and the grinds were not to my liking. Saw was a load of crap and the handle too square. Just think what you could get for the money, probably a folding saw, quality axe and a custom 4" blade bushy by a reputable maker from here or the USA.

This is going to sound bizzare but I think it is about the knife you use. If you want a survival style knife, you are excepting a jack of all trades, which is a master of none. I have seen video footage (And if any one can point me in the direction of anything like this would like to put something together) of a native (Looked Indonesian) using a machete to do detail work. Using it a lot like the foot knife that I have seen Indian women use. What he basically was doing, sitting cross legged he seem to have an 18 machete, either balanced between or resting between his big toe and the next one, and he was working the top inch of the blade or so that stuck out past his foot.

My point being, if you go from a mora to something twice the size, it is going to take practice to do the same things. You only have to think of the kukri to know there must be ways to use a big knife to do small knife jobs, but you cannot do this the other way round.

That said would be very interested to hear someone who has done the actually Tom Brown course and seen him use it. This guy is not Bear Grills so maybe it is a training thing. If we do find someone, what is the deal with the rasp?

All of that said I can only agree that for that sort of money, I would be expecting an edge like the seeming mythical vietnam ka bar's, and it to function perfectly.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I use all kinds of knives in the woods and am pretty compatent with them all , moras , bowies, parangs , axes, saws and hollow handle survival knives and I can honestly say the tracker is a load of crap.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Blimey, this thread is nearly six years old.

And we still find (new) ways to heap ridicule on it! If it was a person I would object -- no one deserves to be bullied -- but since it is only a knife... And people who write books with stupid stuff in them and pretend it is true will have to endure people poking fun at what they have written, regardless of whether their name is Dan Brown or Tom Brown. Wait! I see a possible pattern...

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Take a look on you tube for operational extra's vid's , i believe he's Mr Black on bushcraft usa , bit different from the other vid's on the tracker knife.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I use all kinds of knives in the woods and am pretty compatent with them all , moras , bowies, parangs , axes, saws and hollow handle survival knives and I can honestly say the tracker is a load of crap.

Agree, but the problem is why?

And that goes into my sig-quote file!

When reading the second of TBs "childhood memories" books I was having vision of a man in buckskin colored lycra with a stylish "G" on the chest....

Not sure who you mean due to the fact you would be talking about his grandfather?

As I understand it, on the Tom Brown course, they use Moras...

LOL!

Makes even less sense, why would he not use the knife he designed as the perfect knife?

forestwalker

Not sure who you mean due to the fact you would be talking about his grandfather?

But Grandfather had superpowers! Almost.

Makes even less sense, why would he not use the knife he designed as the perfect knife?

Because either it (a) was designed to sell to idiots, not be usable, or (b) turned out crap even if being a good notion?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Makes even less sense, why would he not use the knife he designed as the perfect knife?

it makes perfect sense, woodlore students don't use the woodlore knife, they use mora's, they're dead cheap you see and all those businesses are wanting to make money, it's kinda their thing. issuing £200+ knives to students who may have never held a knife before, now that would make no sense would it?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Take a look on you tube for operational extra's vid's , i believe he's Mr Black on bushcraft usa , bit different from the other vid's on the tracker knife.

thanks for that, i watched a couple of his vids last night, he makes the knife look like a very useful tool. ever since i had a play with one of these knives a couple of years ago i've been wondering about the idea behind the really complicated grinds, watching your man's videos i'm starting to get an idea of the thinking behind the design. very interesting

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
it makes perfect sense, woodlore students don't use the woodlore knife, they use mora's, they're dead cheap you see and all those businesses are wanting to make money, it's kinda their thing. issuing £200+ knives to students who may have never held a knife before, now that would make no sense would it?

The instructors use Moras too though. At least Woodlore instructors use Woodlores.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE