tom brown tracker ??????

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I freely admit I'm not a fan of big knives; but, having watched Russ, Graham and RoyalM not only use big knives, Rtak and the like, but do so incredibly effectively and skillfully, I have to admit that they definitely have their place.....if one is capable of using them.
I do use a machete at times, but it's a farm standard British made under a tenner tool, that's just really effective for clearing stuff.
That Tracker thing though :sigh: It almost feels like it should be a billhook, but somehow the Klingons got to it.

cheers
Toddy

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have yet to be inspired by the Tracker but to each his own. I can shave with an axe but that doesn't make it a great tool for the job. It's just a parlor trick, imo. However, there is a definite following for this knife and TBH, I think we need to throttle back the diatribe a bit to be fair to others and let them do what they obviously enjoy.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
... ever since i had a play with one of these knives a couple of years ago i've been wondering about the idea behind the really complicated grinds...
I'm sure I've seen a .pdf file somewhere that explains the use of all the different features of the knife but I can't find it atmo..

(a knife with an instruction manual? whatever next? :) )

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
:dunno: I haven't met any fans tbh.

Point taken however.

M

Mostly on other forums, especially in the US. But this is the internet and some of those folks do post/browse here. It's a youtube phenomenon as well.

While I don't always agree with the choices in gear others make, it's their choice and I can respect that. As long as I don't have to hear the complaining once it starts, out on the trail. ;) It's mostly why I hike alone. ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There is a certain ethos of use to it. I know one person that can do exceptional things with his TBT, although he did have to have the edges re-ground as the factory edge from Topps is poo. It does seem there was a lot of thought put into the design and method of use. It's just not my thing, and it certainly isn't for everybody.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I don't doubt I could do stuff with it.
I carved a spoon and some trap triggers with a khukri at one of the meets because someone told me it was no good for carving.
I still think it's a solution looking for a problem though.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'm sure I've seen a .pdf file somewhere that explains the use of all the different features of the knife but I can't find it atmo..

(a knife with an instruction manual? whatever next? :) )

i'd love to have a glance if you manage to find it again, it's a knife that's fascinated me since i first saw it.

i got into this whole bushcraft thing from having an interest in survival when i was young, that interest has led to a continuing interest in "survival knives". anyone who knows me knows what my choice of bushcraft knife is, it's a 5inch pukko, if i want to chop anything then the axe comes out, if i want to saw anything then the laplander comes out, food prep - fdick kitchen knife, delicate work - mora 120.........etc. basically i like using the right tool for the job in hand, but, my EDC is a SAK, which is a compromise, it's not the best tool for any job but it'll do for most. i like the idea of a "survival" knife in the same way, it's not the best for anything in particular, but, it'll do most things at a push. for me survival knives are a little bit like BB guns, they'd never be my first choice to carry in the field, but they're great fun to play with on the back garden :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...although he did have to have the edges re-ground as the factory edge from Topps is poo..."

An article about the Tracker can be found here on this Hungarian website, it is unlikely that any here will understand the article, however there are some nice pics, including one of a very heavily reground Tops.

If I was going to have one, I'd definitely want one of these uber sheaths from Hedgehog Leatherworks for it. :)

smwFQ.jpg

It isn't my thing though, however I don't doubt that some folks can do good things with it.

:)

Last edited:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I suggest first before buying you have a look on BushcraftUSA. A number of members have the knife and have used it and you will get a better balanced view of the knifes capability from hands on experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE