Tom Brown Tracker Knife Manual

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
JimH said:
Entertained me.

One of the few knives I don't find tempting. Belongs on a Warhammer Orc IMO.

:lmao: :lmao:

Jim.

I knew I'd seen something similar somewhere before... ;)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've seen that thing online before, and I think it was $300. If my maths is right, instead of that demented bludgeon, you could get yourself an alan blade bushcrafter, small forest axe, and laplander saw for that money, and still maybe have the change to get a pint on your wakl home. Also, you wouldn't get elves shooting arrows at you for carrying an orc sword.

M

Millbilly

philaw said:
Also, you wouldn't get elves shooting arrows at you for carrying an orc sword.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
As much as im enjoying the writings of Tom Brown, im still not really sold on his knife design... Im not sure if its because its tailored to a different sort of activity than our own, or if its just rubbish...
Either way, id love to take one out in the woods and give it a test run. Im just not prepared to pay that much for a tool (the heinnie price is about £250 :eek: )

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
You do sort of have to wonder what was the plan, when he designed it.

Have always wonder how you used it to do all those different things.

£250 quid is a lot of dosh to just end up using my Mora or my CRKT Carajou.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I met a very nice chap who had been on one of the TB courses in the US. He really thought that it was a great tool. He didn't hesitate to tell me all the stuff that they had used it for, including scraping hides, which he said it did very well. He also said that it threw really well :rolleyes: .

Apparently part of the course involved walking a route through the woods throwing small knives (the companion blade?) at targets, then heaving the war club...sorry, Tracker tool at the final target. I had the distinct impression that the targets were human shaped. :rolleyes: :lmao:

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Tom Brown has gotten a bit odd as of late with self-defence training including stick fighting. He calls this part of his Scout program but what is taught is not traditional Native American fighting.

I think he should stick with bush crafts and leave the combat to someone else. I have 6 years training at the same martial art school, as a martial artist I'd seek out a dedicated MA school. If I wanted to learn primitive skills I was going to pay upwards of $1000 dollars on for a week, I'd want every second of it to deal only with primitive skills. A week won't make you a martial artist so why include it?

M

Millbilly

Does anyone have any idea how effective the saw is? it looks a bit pants... :confused:
And how much does this knife weigh? It would have to fairly heavy for any effective chopping, but it isnt that big...
Also, being carbon, would it be anygood with a firesteel, or would the coating get in the way?

Simon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Man, that's one SCARY knife.

I remember when I first joined these forums as a member, it was about the time that I first rented "The Hunted" on DVD with Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones. I started a thread about the Tom Brown Tracker, not knowing anything about the knife. Needless to say, it's scary.

Adam

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'd guess the saw is similar in effect to the one on the dartmoor (they are about the same thickness and nither is offset). In which case the only suff you could cut through with it is about the same thickness that you can do with a single swing from a sharp axe. You can make notches for paracord to grip onto.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
OhCanada said:
Tom Brown has gotten a bit odd as of late with self-defence training including stick fighting. He calls this part of his Scout program but what is taught is not traditional Native American fighting.

I think he should stick with bush crafts and leave the combat to someone else. I have 6 years training at the same martial art school, as a martial artist I'd seek out a dedicated MA school. If I wanted to learn primitive skills I was going to pay upwards of $1000 dollars on for a week, I'd want every second of it to deal only with primitive skills. A week won't make you a martial artist so why include it?

addyb said:
Man, that's one SCARY knife.

I remember when I first joined these forums as a member, it was about the time that I first rented "The Hunted" on DVD with Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones. I started a thread about the Tom Brown Tracker, not knowing anything about the knife. Needless to say, it's scary.

Adam

The martial artists behind the film, basically said it was rubbish.

This could be a British Blades question but i thought throwing knives had a different spec from normal knifes. They need a different set of strengths?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Minotaur,

Actually, I'm not so sure that "The Hunted" was ENTIRELY rubbish. I plan on doing a search for the thread I started later.

I do remember reading that the martial arts STYLE was real, it's Phillipino street fighting, and that certain things were well thought out by the director, such as Benicio having rope tie-offs all over his clothes in the final scenes so stem the bleeding, and Tommy Lee's flintknapping. Tom Brown was an advisor for the film crew, as well.

I also know that the lengths of the fights were crap. :) If it were real knife fighting, the two fighters would scare off, and in a matter of seconds one would be dead, and the other very wounded.

Needless to say, it's not one of my favourite movies by far, but I did enjoy the scenary!

Adam

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
I enjoyed 'The Hunted' far more than many other films I can think of. Also despite it's total impracticality for bushcraft I personally can't help but like the tracker knife. I'd certainly rather spend money on that knife as an aesthetically pleasing object than any arty knife. There is just something about the design I like the look of.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The one time that saw and handled the 'tracker' knife I noticed the following:

The handle was so large I had trouble holding it

The bevel was so obtuse that it had almost no penetration and it was difficult to achieve even the most basic carving

It was rather good for beating in tent pegs in hard ground due to its weight

It looks rather comical

It is my conclusion that the tops tracker knife had almost no practical use, even its owner admitted to carrying a proper knife for actual work, it could prehapes be used as a movie prop for an Orc sword !

buy a mora its many times more practical

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
In fairness, other makers versions of the Tracker Knife concept are better executed, Roger Lingers version for instance is a world away from the TOPs item. (The David Beck version seen in the movie was also a lot less club like than the Tops version)

Also, in fairness, TOPs make a bunch of good knives that are far more practical for most people. I just had a look at thier http://store.yahoo.com/topsknivesstore/comser.html page and was impressed at the range they make.

Stuart, I was wondering if you would come in :lmao: I think we need your comments as a sticky somewhere :rolleyes: :D

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
I don't doubt the knife is as much use for bushcraft as a chocolate teapot. My point was merely I like the appearance of the knife. When you look at some of the 'arty' knives you can buy, which again rarely have any pratical value, and the cost you pay I know which I'd prefer. For bushcrafting though I'd rather stick to my Shing Woody and freebie pukko.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE