Today's skip find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I like some others here am terrible for skips, usually to pull out good timber and ply that goes in the come in handy pile. Walking past one today and found this, intending to butcher it for parts. After getting it home, I span the wheels by hand, and the barings felt free so decided to take the wheels off, both ringing and in fine condition (if all they need dressing). Plugged it in, nothing, checked the plug. All it needed was a new fuse. Right tool rest needs attention and had to give it a clean but isn't it amazing what people throw away!
5b52768c0ed2b0d7a512ee08829d0896.jpg

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good find.
A 'consume' mentality in Western Society , seldom now a 'make do and mend'.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I was grinding some sharp edges off of my skip today. I nipped into the house for a new fuse, and blow me, when I came back out, someone had nicked it.

You can't trust anybody these days!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I can just imagine if someone had caught you, climbing out of the skip, holding up your hand with an air of authority, 'its alright, im a doctor'

Heeheeheeheehee.......Well I would have found that funny.

Sorry, Im wicked.

Nice Find.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's utterly amazing. Surely to buy and operate a bench grinder one would first be a little mechanically minded so think to replace a fuse!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I like some others here am terrible for skips, usually to pull out good timber and ply that goes in the come in handy pile. Walking past one today and found this, intending to butcher it for parts. After getting it home, I span the wheels by hand, and the barings felt free so decided to take the wheels off, both ringing and in fine condition (if all they need dressing). Plugged it in, nothing, checked the plug. All it needed was a new fuse. Right tool rest needs attention and had to give it a clean but isn't it amazing what people throw away!
5b52768c0ed2b0d7a512ee08829d0896.jpg

What is wrong with the right side tool rest ?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I can just imagine if someone had caught you, climbing out of the skip, holding up your hand with an air of authority, 'its alright, im a doctor'

Heeheeheeheehee.......Well I would have found that funny.

Sorry, Im wicked.

Nice Find.
The best I've ever had like that was walking home from a friend's house after a fancy dress party I took a shortcut home through some trees. Long story short police stop and search me (understandable given they've just seen a 6'2 bloke dressed up as a cardinal walking through the trees) asking my name and said.
"Mr......"

"It's doctor actually"

"Course it is mate. Stop messing about and tell me your name. Or is it reverend next?"

*shows NHS id* "no I really am a doctor"

"Well I'm glad you're not my gp mate strange habit you've got there!"

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
What is wrong with the right side tool rest ?
It's bent out of shape, almost like something has been dragged into it. I'll give it a tap flat and it should be good to go. Working in occ health in a factory that uses them I'm too paranoid to use one even slightly dodgy now. They eat fingers

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Needing to build a new septic tank I found a skip being loaded by a local builder renavating a house, full of house bricks,
I wonder if he ever found out why it never got full, no matter have many bricks he tipped into it.
Great believer in waste not want not good on you for it mate

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I was in my local council recycle centre on Monday...I was salivating at the goodies just out of my reach...Unbelievable what people throw away. I would have climbed in if it wasn't for the fact i would probably have been done with theft for removing perfectly good stuff that I could "recycle"..I doubt very much most of that stuff will get recycled. Just Buried somewhere. :(

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I was in my local council recycle centre on Monday...I was salivating at the goodies just out of my reach...Unbelievable what people throw away. I would have climbed in if it wasn't for the fact i would probably have been done with theft for removing perfectly good stuff that I could "recycle"..I doubt very much most of that stuff will get recycled. Just Buried somewhere. :(
It's a shame it really is. How much stuff can be reused or repurposed and its just thrown away to landfill

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
On the plus side. Same skip different day. A vice and a folding fishing chair, chair still had tags on. I'm going to get told off for skip raking by SWMBO but worth it I feel
c54bab773f1143f306858d80867ba094.jpg

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's gotta be some skip to keep an eye on

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I'm thinking it's house clearance to be honest. I've knocked on the door to ask and the bloke said just take what I want and he'll keep any tools etc aside. Shy bairns get nowt! It's taking all of my willpower not to camp out there now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE