Repair not replace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have a lot of chicken coops ( eight at the moment) because we breed our rare breed chickens using broody hens ( much easier, cheaper and more sustainable) we need a lot of space to raise chicks

When we started out we bought some flat pack coops and it didn't take me long to realise that they are mostly poorly made from flimsy materials. These days I build our coops with wood from a local firm . I save no money over cheap flat packs but the ones I build are made from heavy duty, tanalised wood, properly felted and butumened with all stainless fastenings etc.

However, we are left with the original coops. They have become a bit "Triggers Broom" with more new parts than original wood now.

Before breeding starts next month they all get checked and repaired. The ply lining on the roof of this one is shot

Coop roof by English Countrylife, on Flickr

It's rubbish stuff - probably 3mm and I doubt exterior grade

Delaminated ply by English Countrylife, on Flickr

So today's job was to rip it all out!

Rotten ply by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I'm going to replace it with 9mm stuff. Naturally that's not going to fit in the rebates of the edge strips, so I'm remaking all of those deeper. This would cost a fortune to buy, but a table saw is massively helpful in ripping wood to the right size and I can re- dimension cheap CLS timber. Saves a mint.

Table saw by English Countrylife, on Flickr

A chop saw for cutting all the relevant pieces to length is super handy too

Chop saw by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Trying to live self reliantly means a workshop is almost a "must have" for us. We can work our way through most carpentry, electrical and plumbing tasks. I'm embarrassed to admit that my metal work is sub par and my engine work is rubbish. Our best.mate neighbour excels in this area ( he manufacturers engine parts!) but that's no excuse for me not to improve - especially with him as a teacher. The other great advantage is of course that all the offcuts and replaced wood go in the stove - waste nothing!

Scrap wood by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a 10" (30cm) Delta chop saw/power miter saw. I've done more with that saw, fire wood & BBQ included, since 1985 than with any other kind of saw that I could buy. Paid for itself many times over.
For me, the key feature is that I can predict exactly what the angle of the cut will turn out to be. Nothing gets wasted, everything fits together like the plans.

Reactions: British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We gave up on bitumen/felt for our sheds and used Coroline (Onduline) corrugated sheets instead. Easy to cut (laplander and WD40 ) easy to install, very cheap all considered, and it lasts and lasts. Tidy looking too. Widely available as well. We have four sheds roofed with it and after ten years it's still looking sound and tidy. Next door has recovered theirs three times with felt in the same period, and after the last gales now has a green tarp over it as a temporary cover. They keep telling me the original outlay of the coroline is too expensive.... :rolleyes:

If you can get hold of marine ply, or even the exterior stuff used on building sites, it's a lot better than that stuff that delaminates and shreds. Both will withstand bleach washing, etc., too.

Chop saws are truly good things :)
The sawdust mixed with the melted wax from around cheese and pressed into small plastic tubs makes good old fashioned briquettes. They burn almost like charcoal in a chimnea or the like. Glowing away nicely for hours on end.

You must get brilliant compost if you have chicken manure so available, even if it does need time to weather out a bit :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Brilliant.

A track saw is a very good bit of kit for large sheets and doors etc too. If you haven't had the pleasure I can highly recommend giving one a go!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a 10" (30cm) Delta chop saw/power miter saw. I've done more with that saw, fire wood & BBQ included, since 1985 than with any other kind of saw that I could buy. Paid for itself many times over.
For me, the key feature is that I can predict exactly what the angle of the cut will turn out to be. Nothing gets wasted, everything fits together like the plans.
Yeah a good chopsaw is an amazing tool. Chippy that I talk to introduced me to the Festool rail saw - if you use sheetboard it's an amazing tool :cool:. Horribly pricey but so precise. I've found a neat trick to make a rail using MDF. I'm planning to make one for my DeWalt circular saw - it'll be good enough for a humble homesteader!

Reactions: Robson Valley

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brilliant.

A track saw is a very good bit of kit for large sheets and doors etc too. If you haven't had the pleasure I can highly recommend giving one a go!
Okay that's spooky. I was literally typing about using a Festool version as you posted. Awesome bit of kit. I think I can fabricate something similar.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Okay that's spooky. I was literally typing about using a Festool version as you posted. Awesome bit of kit. I think I can fabricate something similar.
Haha I was going to mention festool as well!

I don't own one, but a mate has a very old festool one, still going very strong, bought in the early days when Festool has sole rights to the patent, so he tells me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
With a clamped straight edge and a Skil-saw, I can cut sheet goods OK. What I needed was a chop saw to cut 4" x 4" and smaller with exact ends for lengths and corners. My 10" Delta turned me into an enthusiastic carpenter of simple projects (shop bookcases and shelves, and so forth).
Chopped up my share of totally clean freight pallets for outdoor work tables. Cedar rough-outs, stone carving, potting grape vine cuttings, etc.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
With a clamped straight edge and a Skil-saw, I can cut sheet goods OK. What I needed was a chop saw to cut 4" x 4" and smaller with exact ends for lengths and corners. My 10" Delta turned me into an enthusiastic carpenter of simple projects (shop bookcases and shelves, and so forth).
Chopped up my share of totally clean freight pallets for outdoor work tables. Cedar rough-outs, stone carving, potting grape vine cuttings, etc.
I've always used a simple panel saw for cutting 4x4, but they have always been for rougher outdoor projects, and almost always softer pine.

Reactions: Robson Valley

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Having seen how good a track saw is I am also tempted. Not just a straight cut but much cleaner, is that just a different blade though? I think the likes of Lidl do one too which seems to work as well even if it may not last ten years of pro use ;)
I keep much of my offcut wood just in case. Most hasn't had a case yet though! But the offcuts in your pic would make lovely feathersticks!
I've been collecting Babybel wax theoretically for candles but logs with sawdust is a much better idea :)
I have one of these, which is just a 4' straight edge with a clamp but speeds up cutting a great deal. It pretty much sets itself square on with minimal adjustment https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-...3385?queryID=90923f580fd7c3cde5c267e53bc87207

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadushu

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The other power tool that's a treat to use is a drill press, aka a pillar drill. I have an 8" unit, as measured from the spindle to the pillar, bolted to a work bench. Stacked pulley sets give me 4 or 5 speeds. My ShopVac with a plaster bag is my dust collector.
Drill holes of sizes up to 3" At the correct angle, every time.
Grind metals
Polish metals
Cut, shape and polish metals and shells as decorative inlay in carvings.
With a lot of fiddle, I can turn the press around so the head hangs out over the floor to drill holes in the ends of things maybe 36" long.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Having seen how good a track saw is I am also tempted. Not just a straight cut but much cleaner, is that just a different blade though? I think the likes of Lidl do one too which seems to work as well even if it may not last ten years of pro use ;)
I keep much of my offcut wood just in case. Most hasn't had a case yet though! But the offcuts in your pic would make lovely feathersticks!
I've been collecting Babybel wax theoretically for candles but logs with sawdust is a much better idea :)
I have one of these, which is just a 4' straight edge with a clamp but speeds up cutting a great deal. It pretty much sets itself square on with minimal adjustment https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-...3385?queryID=90923f580fd7c3cde5c267e53bc87207
I suspect we can find you a better featherstick...and logs

Saw bench by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Reactions: grizzlyj

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The other power tool that's a treat to use is a drill press, aka a pillar drill. I have an 8" unit, as measured from the spindle to the pillar, bolted to a work bench. Stacked pulley sets give me 4 or 5 speeds. My ShopVac with a plaster bag is my dust collector.
Drill holes of sizes up to 3" At the correct angle, every time.
Grind metals
Polish metals
Cut, shape and polish metals and shells as decorative inlay in carvings.
With a lot of fiddle, I can turn the press around so the head hangs out over the floor to drill holes in the ends of things maybe 36" long.
I have to be but not that size. Mine has digital speed control down to 200rpm - very handy for RTO shotgun cartridge loading

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are not many trees that big near here, or indeed trees at all. I am jealous :)
We are very lucky in our friends and neighbours - one in particular delivers us logs by the lorry load. Particularly with energy prices as they are, I aware of how unusual that is!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The price of wood has encouraged me to reuse and repurpose timber more than ever. I'm not fond of using pallets because they're often held together with more rusted riven nails than seems necessary and therefore a pig to get apart. However, the apple bins on the farm here are a source of reasonable plywood which I've used for nesting boxes and so on. I usually just cut it out with a chainsaw to avoid doing battle with nails.
More recently I took the edge off my table saw blade on a screw that was in what looked like an unused piece of wood so it's put a damper on my wood recycling. Nails are annoying but screws are HARD.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE