Today

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I will mostly be making knives, I have got over the shock of my leaf spring knife shattering and got myself a couple of nice bits of D2.

I am making a little necker, A camp knife, a bird and trout and a mini bushcrafter.

They are going to be special!

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi Barney
I look forward to seeing the pics of those beauties!
Any chance of some 'action pics' as you go along mate please?
Also any pics of your workshop would be cool so I can be envious ;) and get some ideas!
Thanks

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
today I are mostly....

This morning I've been sorting emails and invoices out. This afternoon I'm meeting up with a couple of friends and SWMBO, the dog and I will be wandering about on Bellaver (sp?) Tor, t'other side of dartmoor. Then this evening I will be sewing a couple of sheathes up.

Maybe tonight I will sleep.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Been sanding my first kuksa this morning now it has dried

Looking forward to trying it with some brandy

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Today I am doing things to this laptop which would make a computer boffin shudder..:D
Yesterday evening a balancing act with cheese sandwich, mug of tea and a jar of pickled onions went disasterously wrong. The tea ended up on the cabin deck and the pickled onions landed on the open laptop..I did however manage to hold onto the sandwich..:D

I immediately tipped the laptop upside down and once a half pint of vinegar had run out, I used the only 'spirit' type liquid I had on board, a half bottle of meths. Gave the keyboard a good swilling and left it upside down overnight. This morning I managed to buy some 'Electrical contact cleaner' so I took the laptop outside into the cockpit and gave it a good squirt. The man on the boat on the other pontoon is a 'techie'...he was holding his head and crying..:lmao:

But as you can see, it still works, well... I'm typing this with the 'Caps key' lit up but these 'aint caps..so it's not 100% but neither are my computer skills so it doesn't matter really..what is nice however is that as the laptop warms up it smells of pickled onions..mmm!..:lmao: :lmao:

Addition...the only thing remotely bush crafty was the meths....

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Craeg, have you got me mixed up with someone else?:D

The workshop.LOL.

DSCN0379.jpg

So far so good

DSCN0382.jpg

Ready to drill

DSCN0384.jpg

hope you like:D

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Today I am doing things to this laptop which would make a computer boffin shudder..:D
Yesterday evening a balancing act with cheese sandwich, mug of tea and a jar of pickled onions went disasterously wrong. The tea ended up on the cabin deck and the pickled onions landed on the open laptop..I did however manage to hold onto the sandwich..:D

I immediately tipped the laptop upside down and once a half pint of vinegar had run out, I used the only 'spirit' type liquid I had on board, a half bottle of meths. Gave the keyboard a good swilling and left it upside down overnight. This morning I managed to buy some 'Electrical contact cleaner' so I took the laptop outside into the cockpit and gave it a good squirt. The man on the boat on the other pontoon is a 'techie'...he was holding his head and crying..:lmao:

But as you can see, it still works, well... I'm typing this with the 'Caps key' lit up but these 'aint caps..so it's not 100% but neither are my computer skills so it doesn't matter really..what is nice however is that as the laptop warms up it smells of pickled onions..mmm!..:lmao: :lmao:

Addition...the only thing remotely bush crafty was the meths....

When mine heats up it smells of Bulmers Cider :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Today I've mostly been.......... asleep.

Roll on the night shift...we are the things that go 'bump' in the Night!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Barney , ref knife making which i would like to have a go at myself , what do you use to remove and shape the outline of the Blade Blank? Is it just the angle grinder??

And on the same subject , whem making the bevel ( 23 deg? ) how do you manage to keep such a uniform line to it when using a anglegrinder ? I would have thought it would judder around a tad and leave an 'uppy-downey' finish??

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Wow Barney
Top skills mate to produce stuff with your modest set-up :D Like TeeDee said, how do you keep the grind at the correct angle with the angle grinder?
I really have no excuse for making a knife at some point. I will have to get an angle grinder next ;)
Thanks for the pics too. Craeg

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks for the kind words, If you could see them in real life perhaps you would not be so generous.:D

I have re profiled two of the blanks after looking at the photographs, it kinda shows up any flaws in a third eye view way.

Of course that is not my complete arsenal of equipment;). I have a sander thing as well, like a netto one, about £20.

I got the D2 from a guy on BB in a trade for a knife grinding Jig that I made.:).

I dont know if I am allowed to give out his details so Pm me and I will check it out with him.

These are off to be hardened tomorrow, D2 is to tricky to attempt at home. Wish me luck.

Ready to roll, the edges are only roughed out on the sander. I am getting a Tormek super7 tomorrow to finish the edges off when they get back from hardening.

DSCN0387.jpg

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hello There,

I just want to show off the first one completed.

Gentlemans Neck Knife

Blade in D2 tool steel Hardened to Rockwell 60. The cutting edge has been Scandi ground at 23 degrees on a waterstone and honed to present a cutting edge which is razor sharp.
The blade is hand rubbed with silicon carbide to a finish of 800 grit and has then been polished to a mirror finish.

The two 6mm thick Carbon fiber scales have been secured with two tonne epoxy and 6.5mm Nickle Silver pins which compliment the carbon scales beautifully.

DSCN0445.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0446.jpg

I hope you think my efforts have been worthwhile. Fingers crossed the new owner will like it.

Thanks for looking

Gailainne

Life Member
That my friend is a little beauty, it looks like you could only get two fingers on it tho, maybe 3 with the pinky tucked in behind. The carbon fibre scales nicely sets it off, whats the sheath going to be made from ? CF as well.

Cheers

Stephen

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks for the kind words glad you like it, I know that it is a bit out of place here.:)

Stephen the photo makes it look a touch smaller than in reality, three fingers actually fit quite well. The CF sheath is a good idea but I haven't any cloth. A black leather pouch seemed the only reasonable option open to me, as I fundamentally dislike Kydex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE