Today in the Forest of Dean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
I just got back from my daily walk in the Forest of Dean today.... just a short walk of four miles in the afternoon.

Looking back out of the forest to home. The white house up on the hill to the left of the large yew trees...
forest1.jpg

I saw the fantastic sight of a buzzard taking a rabbit in the snow!

Lots of deer out today....

forest2.jpg

forest3.jpg

Rod

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Rod looks a great walking area. Did the Buzzard take a live Rabbit ?
Being snowed in, I'm enjoying the local walks and in the snow they seem better than I remember them,thanks for posting Danny

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
I was sitting having a coffee near a large pond. I saw the buzzard soar onto a perch on top of a large fir tree the other side of a pond about 100 yards away. At the end of the frozen pond to my right two rabbits were scampering round and round a small bush, and then just sitting in the snow. They were about 50 yards away.

I was watching both the buzzard and the rabbits.... and the bird flew fast in a direct line at the rabbit, using trees for cover.... and just hit it! Hard! I heard the rabbit squeal. The rabbit was too heavy for it (I think), and it just sat there tearing at it whilst pinning it to the ground. I never thought that buzzards would take something as large as a rabbit.

I resisted going closer. I just watched through my binoculars. I didn't want to scare off the buzzard and disturb it from its meal, as it was most probably having a hard time finding food in this deep snow. I just finished my coffee, and then walked away in the opposite direction.

Rod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE