Today I made...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh, I do like damson jam :)

I remain confused, despite repeated attempts at clearing up my confusion, as to the difference between wild plum (prunus domestica) and damson (subsp. insititia). In an area of my land that I am allowing to 'scrub up' a number of 'wild plum' trees have grown and produce their first fruit this year (only a few plums, but it's hopeful) but what looks like exactly the same tree and fruit along the local canal people call damsons!

Reactions: British Red

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Yeah! Folk pick “damsons” from the road side of my hedge. We call them bullace which may well be just as wrong but they are much sharper than damsons. My (actual) damsons are bigger and have a much richer flavour. The fruit from the hedge does well in gin but I wouldn’t make a crumble out of them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh, I do like damson jam :)

I remain confused, despite repeated attempts at clearing up my confusion, as to the difference between wild plum (prunus domestica) and damson (subsp. insititia). In an area of my land that I am allowing to 'scrub up' a number of 'wild plum' trees have grown and produce their first fruit this year (only a few plums, but it's hopeful) but what looks like exactly the same tree and fruit along the local canal people call damsons!
Prunus hybridise here at the drop of a hat. We have true sloes, plums, damsons, bullace, gages (green and golden) & all manner of weird inbred offspring. That's okay though. It's Lincolnshire after all.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks delicious Steve, we made a load of Bullace jam a few years back and have that with Turkey/Chicken. Just up the lane there is a huge Bullace that most people just walk past and don't even notice.

Also have Bullace, Damson & Green Gage in the garden, funny enough my neighbour was asking what they were earlier today.

Reactions: Mesquite

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE