Toaks siphon setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I thought I'd share this little setup, for the stove tinkerers among you. It's a toaks titanium siphon paired with a cheap mini wood stove. I've inverted the wood stove, with the toaks siphon resting on the floor. My 750 mL lixada pot then nestles happily on the inverted base, offering reasonable wind protection. Seems like a functional setup, sufficiently stable and with option of wood burning.

Better still the whole thing fits inside the pot, along with a small fuel bottle and room to spare for lighters and so on. My next plan is to make a simmer ring and snuff thing.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Well I've had time to give it a test. 500 ml water (at 15c) boiled in 8.5 mins, on 20 mL methylated spirits. Seems reasonable I think? Flame was fairly yellow though, and sooted my pot.
What I didn't realise is that methylated spirits is not the same as methanol. It's not something I'd really given much thought to up to now. I'm going to try and find some methanol or ethanol and see how it differs. Interestingly though, I've used the same methylated spirits many times in a 'fondue' style burner, where it seems to burn much cleaner and with less soot produced.

Reactions: Ozmundo

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Methylated spirits is ethanol with methanol added, pure methanol should be a bit cleany

Sent from underground

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Do you add water or salt to the meths?

Trangia.se recommend 10% water for better combustion. Initial quality of fuel may effect it. I pre-mix it, but I’ve not done any sort of test to see how much difference it makes.

I’ve heard of adding salt and saw an article suggesting 1% (table salt?) will produce a yellow flame but with some residue. Not tried this though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE