To the total idiot who ruined my day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Dear 'Sir',
(I will remain formal because if I descend to your level I would have to write this in crayon) I am writing this open letter as an educator for other people who love the outdoors and may have the misfortune to come across you.

For this open letter I shall call you 'Mr Jobsworth', or just 'Jobber' for short.

For the record, I was having a lovely day in the Cairngorms - really nice weather, the ground was fragrant and the hills a pleasure to stride across. Then I decided to take my usual lunch at the Ptarmigan centre near to the top of Cairn Gorm. It was then I happend to come across 'Jobber'.

I purchased my ticket for the rail car up the mountain, walked to the que as I always do in a nice, friendly civil manner and was about to get on the train, when 'Jobber' interupts my day.

'Jobber' has decided that because I am carrying a bag, I cannot use the rail car, as I might just exit at the top and walk to the summit. I protest - because there has been nearly a dozen people in front of me with bags, why me?

'Rules' says 'Jobber'. Its the new rules. 'If I think you'll use the funicular to get to the summit, I can stop you getting on the train'. So I state my case. To no avail - 'Jobber' is having none of it.

So I leave after getting a ticket refund.

Now, mr Jobber, here is the irony of the situation. Yes I carry everything I need to survive in the mountains for 24 hrs in the worst possible weather, as its sensible. Yes, its a moderate sized 30 litre pack, yes its my gear, but Mr Jobber you forget one thing.

Each year, mountain rescue has to be called out on numerous occasions to rescue ill equipped walkers in the 'Gorms. Your attitude though means that if people want to take a trip to the top half way through their day, they must carry only what you deem to be fit for your establishment. Thus be deprived of their essentials later in the day.

In short 'Jobber', your ignorance of your environment is staggering and your attitude is counter productive. I and the wife will cancel our membership and will jot be using your train again.

Oh and the last thought? I have letter blindness Mr Jobber, and I always type a J where I would type an N at the start of words.

Cheerio Jobber, enjoy your little 'power trip'.

(Jobber had a bushcraft book in his jacket pocket, and I hope he reads this, because had he of had a name badge on, I would of used his real name and found an address to send it to.)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:confused: The companyreasoning seems a little to be desired!:eek:

I've been there and can picture the scene, surely it would be sensible to open the train and resteraunt to everyone, isn't it the credit crunch?
don't they need a little extra cash?
very strange!

Sympathy goes to you!:grouphug:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Complain, complain, complain.
Tell them that if those are the guidelines then they ought to provide lockers for people just as other railway stations do.
Oh, and tell the restaurant as well; after all, they're losing business by this too.

In fairness, the only way the railway got the go ahead was if it didn't lead to an increase in the foot traffic that was causing problems in a vulnerable area. It wasn't just the erosion from heavy boots either. Urine, faeces, litter, fires, these are all issues.

cheers,
Toddy

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
I just was at an absloute loss. I wanted to eat - not go to the summit, or anything else, because after the mornings 10 miles tramped, I thought a spot of lunch would be nice and then keep me nice till the evening.

Oh no, 'its the rules' - if you have a bag with walking kit, your not going up matey, 'its the rules'.

So I just troggled off my way - being the only option really that remained lawful. So there you have it.

'Jobber' and his ilke have taken control, and the 'rules are the rules'.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Complain, complain, complain.
Tell them that if those are the guidelines then they ought to provide lockers for people just as other railway stations do.
Oh, and tell the restaurant as well; after all, they're losing business by this too.

In fairness, the only way the railway got the go ahead was if it didn't lead to an increase in the foot traffic that was causing problems in a vulnerable area. It wasn't just the erosion from heavy boots either. Urine, faeces, litter, fires, these are all issues.

cheers,
Toddy

Yup, exactly, complain about it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a bit confused. what is wrong with taking the train to the summit?

The plateau is home to some rather rare and kind of vulnerable species. The railway got the go ahead for skiers but not for folks using it to cut down on their walk in. The reasoning being that if folks had to walk all the way up fewer would ever get there and actually damage the fragile environment.

Bit off though that some folks are allowed up on the subjective decision of this man though.

cheers,
Toddy

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I've had it with total d - heads like this guy. I sympathise with you. Rules are getting crazier by the minute, and they make people act crazy. I hope he annoys the wrong person next time.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well if it isnt ski season it should be shut! I think it will encourage people to carry less and jepordise themselves. this is a dumb rule made by dumb people who wanted to profit but look like they are green at the same time.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Dear 'Sir',
(I will remain formal because if I descend to your level I would have to write this in crayon) I am writing this open letter as an educator for other people who love the outdoors and may have the misfortune to come across you.

<Snip >

(Jobber had a bushcraft book in his jacket pocket, and I hope he reads this, because had he of had a name badge on, I would of used his real name and found an address to send it to.)

OK, so let me get this right, a man charged with checking/preventing people from damaging the rare and vulnerable species on the Cairngorms, stops you from going up fully loaded with walking gear, because he thinks you may want to walk down, and you think that this gives you a right to demean and insult him on a public forum.

I’ll tell you, that having been in his position, I’d almost guarantee that 99% of the time he’d be 100% flexible, however, like him and having been lied to so many time by so many people who “only want to use the restaurant/toilets/take a picture from the top” only to find that yet again he has been lied to, and the nice looking sensible person had walked down in full view, laughing insulting and mocking him, and been reamed out so many time by the boss, for using his judgement as to who is legitimate and who is just full of it.
It is just not worth it.

Next time you are in a situation like this, think of the real reason he is doing his job, and it’s not the reason you think, going by this Daily Wail style moaning rantfest.

In the industry we have a saying “if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ***** like a duck, stinks like a duck. It’s a duck.
In this case you were equipped like a walker, dressed like a walker, no doubt having been walking all morning; you may even have smelled like a walker. You were to all intents and purposes, a walker.

Too many people moan and bitch about “no one looking after the countryside” , about the litter dumped, about illegal fires, and barbeques, about people dropping litter and rubbish, you seem to enjoy moaning as to “why is nothing done to prevent this from happening”, and yet soon as someone does something that may prevent any/all of the above happening, you get all bent out of shape.

Just because it is you who wants to bend the rules, does not make it right.
To the person who prevented you from going where you wanted doing what you wanted you are just another moaning whining irresponsible person who is destroying the beauty of the Cairngorms, it’s your job to prove him wrong, and I hope he is not reading this thread, as all you have done is proving him right
My 2p worth

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Cheers for the reply tadpole. Food for thought

As for walking / talking comment, yes of course I was dressed and equipped like a walker - anyone who isn't in the depths of the cairngorms is an idiot - if you worked in the industry as you say, you would appreciate the amount of fatalities and near fatals each year from ill equipped people.

Walking down from the summit? why would I want to do that on a full stomach? oh and as for protecting the summit and the wild life? if they are that concerned, tear down the rail way, get rid of the ski resort and stop all those dam skiers trying to ski on one inch of snow that does major harm to the ground underneath, oh and stop leaving those damn stones everywhere in their effort to make a nice 'path'. Its an eyesore, not natural and despoils the beauty of the remote area. If I wanted to walk on a path, I would go to the local duck pond in the park.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
imho, the entire premise of a railway line with a guy deciding who can use it based upon what they intend to do at its destination is moronic, period.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry, but I'm with Tadpole on this one.

It's been a very well publicised control and I'm all for controlling numbers. Well done Jobbo for keeping the standards that were set by a large group of people that were consulted when the railway opened.

I tend to agree with the comment about if we want to preserve it then don't let the skiers up there etc. but we're only a stone throw from saying the same about any access to the wilderness including the woods. The reality is that access to the countryside is a balance between the rural economy, jobs in remote areas, recreation, and preservation.

In fact, I'd go further, let everyone carrying a town passport pay a premium for coming into the country as I do every time I go shopping in a town. :)

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE