to start leather working or buy a sheath?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got two knives (both identical) that I would like new sheathes for. I have two options....buy all the tools and bits and pieces and make them myself.....or get someone else to do it.

Option 1 means more gadgets and toys in the house...good and bad thing :)....it also means I have to make more stuff to justify the buying of said gadgets and toys....downward spiral me thinks lol

option 2 means I'll properly end up with a better end product and no new toys cluttering the house.

any advice on starting out in leather working?? or cheaper option is there anyone willing to make a 2 sheathes for me?
:confused:

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
There's loads of folk on here can make yo a fine sheath or 2. Leatherwork is however great fun :) All my kit is in transit to Auz (bar the awl, needles and artificial sinew I keep for emergencies!) so I'm out, but just take a look at the makers boards if you want them made

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Start doing it yourself, great fun!

The only special tool you'll need in the beginning is a stitch groover, and even that you can do without. Actually only the thread is something I would always buy especially for this purpose.
For "how to's": plenty of tutorials on BB and Google is your friend.

Here's a basic list.

Tools needed:

- Optional: stitch groover. This makes a neat groove along the edge of your project. The tool follows the edge so the groove is always at the same distance from the edge.
But if you have something else that can make a line on the leather on set distance from the edge, that'll work too. Only your stitching will not sink into a groove but lay on top of the leather a bit. This can look very good BTW.
- Stanley knife
- Cutting mat
- Strong needles with a blunt point
- Thread: can be artificial sinew of saddlers yarn/thread
- Dremel or drill with a small 1,5 mm drill
- Fork for marking the stitches.
- Thick cardboard paper (like milk cartons) for making a mold
- Optional: Edge beveller to skive the edges. You could use sandpaper as well.
- Glue: neopreen glue, SABA or Bison.

Try it, you'll like it. And if you get more advanced, you can still buy all them shiny tools ;-)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My basic kit
Old fork with a bent tine to push a stich groove into wet leather.
Old kitchen knife sharpened to razor edge to cut the leather/skive edges/bevel edges
Old embroidery tracing wheel (50p at a haberdashers) for marking stiches
Blackspur awl sharpened to a good point to make stich holes
A big ol needle from stuff I inherited from my mother
Old cardboard box as a cutting mat and to make trial patterns for the sheath
Cheapo universal contact cement

I still use a lot of that and it costs pennies

I cut some sheath sized pieces of 3.5mm veg tan leather for a meet at rough close and still have a few pieces going - complete with thread and a metal ring for making a double dangler type sheath - if you are interested...
But beware - leatherwork is addictive!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I did my first half dozen sheaths with nothing more than a fork to mark the holes, a 1.5mm drill bit or my diy awl, a bit of glue, heavy needle and a stanley knife. I bought some fake sinew and dye and that was all I purchased, there was nothing wrong with any of the sheaths.

Biker

I second what John has said above and what others have said before him. Leatherworking is addictive. I wonder how many makers here started off like you are wondering if they should "have a go" or not.

I've made a couple of leather sheaths for people and they think I'm some sort of expert at it. I don't try and correct them now LOL! I'm far from expert of course but just love making stuff. Enthusiasm makes up for whatever skills you're lacking. Be patient and remember: check twice, cut once.

Good luck!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I second what John has said above and what others have said before him. Leatherworking is addictive. I wonder how many makers here started off like you are wondering if they should "have a go" or not.

I've made a couple of leather sheaths for people and they think I'm some sort of expert at it. I don't try and correct them now LOL! I'm far from expert of course but just love making stuff. Enthusiasm makes up for whatever skills you're lacking. Be patient and remember: check twice, cut once.

Good luck!
check twice cut once, a very very good bit of advice, as mistakes can be really costly if you don't concentrate with leather, it only takes a slip and the whole lot can be ruined, ages ago, i was making a sheath, and was trimming the welt, and the dog barked at the postman, and made me jump, that was the end of that sheath, lol.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
My basic kit
Old fork with a bent tine to push a stich groove into wet leather.
Old kitchen knife sharpened to razor edge to cut the leather/skive edges/bevel edges
Old embroidery tracing wheel (50p at a haberdashers) for marking stiches
Blackspur awl sharpened to a good point to make stich holes
A big ol needle from stuff I inherited from my mother
Old cardboard box as a cutting mat and to make trial patterns for the sheath
Cheapo universal contact cement

I still use a lot of that and it costs pennies

I cut some sheath sized pieces of 3.5mm veg tan leather for a meet at rough close and still have a few pieces going - complete with thread and a metal ring for making a double dangler type sheath - if you are interested...
But beware - leatherwork is addictive!

After reading an earlier post by John and his approach to doing leather work on the cheap I decided to have a crack.

Leather from an old pair of shoes;
Old eating fork for marking stitch groove, then for marking spacing of stitch holes;
Old awl for making holes;
Thick blunt needle (I used one for stitching together knitting);
Lump of beeswax;
Linen thread.

Everything was already kicking about the house, so didn't cost a penny.

now I am the proud creator and owner of a sheath - admitedly dodgy looking, but I think I've got the bug.

Alex

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Yes I am a Leatherholic, aah that feels better, its out in the open now!!!!!!!!!

I now know I am not alone.

Go for it, buy a few bits and have a try, you will look at you first stuff made and think I can do better NEXT TIME and before you know it you are hooked.

D

rancid badger

I've got two knives (both identical) that I would like new sheathes for. I have two options....buy all the tools and bits and pieces and make them myself.....or get someone else to do it.

Option 1 means more gadgets and toys in the house...good and bad thing :)....it also means I have to make more stuff to justify the buying of said gadgets and toys....downward spiral me thinks lol

option 2 means I'll properly end up with a better end product and no new toys cluttering the house.

any advice on starting out in leather working?? or cheaper option is there anyone willing to make a 2 sheathes for me?
:confused:

I'll happily make you a couple of sheaths if you decide to go that route and the best part is you won't need to pay postage, as you can come and collect them.

The other good part is that you can see some of my work first hand before deciding to buy, if you wish.

pm me if you're interested.

R.B.

greensurfingbear

Well after the positive encouragement I went out and got the leather and tools. and here I'd what I made.
52274c4d-8ffd-32a3.jpg
52274c4d-9012-2081.jpg
52274c4d-9024-588d.jpg

Just got to tidy the edges. Have sore thumb and fore finger but it was worth it . What next I wonder lol
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Out of interest which route did you go on the tools? Buy lots of bits or reuse stuff you already had?

I'm getting far too tempted to give this a go ....

greensurfingbear

Got leather awl, pack of needles, stitch gauge, thread, wax, leather, and a D ring. All under £25 from local leather craft shop. Bloke that served me was really helpful, and didn't try to sell me more than I needed.

learnt a few things..... glueing it together would have been a good idea then putting then putting the holes in for the stitching as I made all the holes first then when they didn't quite line up I had to make them fit lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE