To make a net.....

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
you need a netting needle and some cordage, so make your own:)

DSCN8423.jpg

Hand carved netting needle and approx 8 ft so far of cordge made from Bramble, long way to go to get enough cordage to make a net, but there is plenty of bramble in the world and as the evenings start to draw in it will make a nice project, bit of music in the back ground, nice cup of tea, perhaps a small glass of Blackberry Gin and a pile of bramble fibres to spin up into cordage - perfect and so much more entertaining than the dross on the gogglebox.:)

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
What sort of size netting needle should one carve and I understand the one you have in the picture is a fisherman's style needle. What about net gauges also ?

Also, how does one make a cast net as there's mullet down in the lake which I have yet to catch, the bread method, well, they're not stupid and yes they come in close and just sit there grinning at you as you try to lure them with the bread method of catching.

Also I have no tv so netting instead of being on the net' all the time might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
What sort of size netting needle should one carve and I understand the one you have in the picture is a fisherman's style needle. What about net gauges also ?

Also, how does one make a cast net as there's mullet down in the lake which I have yet to catch, the bread method, well, they're not stupid and yes they come in close and just sit there grinning at you as you try to lure them with the bread method of catching.

Also I have no tv so netting instead of being on the net' all the time might be a good idea.

The size of the needle is up to you, as long as it goes throough the mesh size of the net you are making then it doesnt mater, most of my needles that i make are about 8-10 inches long and an inch wide, net gauges, can be anything, even your fingers will do the job, just carve a mesh stick that corresponds to the mesh size you want.

If you want details on making a cast net, try here http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/forum99.php loads of superb information for the budding and experienced net maker alike

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Either you've got my needle or i have yours:rolleyes:
Seen your video a while back and decided to give it a go, it's good fun!
b2547a28-e28b-0da0.jpg

Any tips on the bramble string? Do you ret the bramble?

I wondered where that needle had gone:), glad you enjoyed the videos

Re the bramble, i just remove the outer fibres in much the same way as you would with nettle, takes a bit more doing as you have to scrape all of the thorns and outer bark off first, but i find it quite theraputic, (pic of the prepared Bramble fibres can be seen on this blog entry i wrote http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/bramble-cordage.html) then I dry the fibre and store it, then as i spin it up into cord i just damp them down so they are pliable - works well.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE