To Drink or not to Drink that is the question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
barry davies was a sas survival instructor
don't know how long for (a lot longer than bear i thing)
his books are more E+E get me outta here asap
than bushcraft but the info is sound
may be lofty trained him?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
xylaria said:
Dirty water is not a disease. Dirty water is cause of diseases. I admit trying to find unbiased statistics on this is veritually imposible, (
Cardiovascular disease, and diseases of the heart and blood vessels kill more than 16 million people worldwide and account for 30 percent of the total number of deaths each year.
New York times (first published in The Lancet, Volume 362. 2003)

"3.4 million people die as a result of water related diseases," "Most of the victims are young children, the vast majority of whom die of illnesses caused by organisms that thrive in water sources contaminated by raw sewage"
WHO 17 March 2005
"Every year, 1.9 million children under five die from diarrhoeal diseases in the world’s poorest countries – over 5000 children each day. Poor water and sanitation contribute to almost 90 per cent of these deaths (1.6 million).
Dr Lee Jong-wook, WHO Director-General 3 JUNE 2005

I'd still drink the water.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'd drink clear flowing water. Still water I'd try to filter using ground charcoal and a sock (or a less smelly container :lmao: ) But yes I'd tend to drink rather than dehydrate

MitchelHicks said:
You can actually use paper as long as you fold it correctly and heat it without a direct flame the water inside will boil before the paper burns as I think paper only burns at over 400 degrees C or so I've been told. I think ill try that next time I light a fire.

Has anyone tried them?

Suprisingly, it works really well! As long as you fold your paper into a nice box (look on an origami site for a good design), the paper will not burn. It doesn't burn as the heat energy is transferred via conduction to the water before the paper gets too hot - therefore not burning. However, if the flames lap up onto the part of the paper not in contact with the water (the rim) it will probably ignite quite quickly. There's a picture in the gallery of someone boiling an egg in a paper bag too!

Back on the topic though, I would drink, but using the good sense outlined in all posts above.

woodwalker

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Most walkers I know drink water from clear flowing streams. I've been doing it since I was a nipper. Common sense applies and I've had giardia so I wouldn't trust anything I say!!

But in a situation were safety is an issue I can see absolutely no sense in getting dehydrated when there is water available, even if it's just a hill walk on a hot day.

Dehydrated people collapse and die on hot days.

Scoops

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I spent nearly fifteen years in the summers drinking from stream water, I always took from white water, Myth or not it didn't ever hurt me.

I would drink.
Was going to spew a lod of other crap but I won't bother.

Geo.

My take on it is, three days without water (less if it's hot or you're physically active) and you'll be in real trouble, so I'd definitely drink when I felt I needed it.
I'd think the majority of 'bugs' in remote water sources will take longer than three days before they have any drastic affect on you. (giardia takes 1-2 weeks before symptoms show, average about 1 week after infection) Better to get out with the trots than not get out at all!
It can be a mistake to drink from flowing or turbulent water, if there is a still 'side pool' of water at the edge of a creek or river, then take your water from that and always take it from near the surface.
The reason being, cysts like giardia settle to the bottom in still water - if present, they will be suspended throughout turbulent water. Also, I've heard that the sun is a powerful disinfectant, so strong sun rays may well have a beneficial affect on still surface water layers.
It may not always be possible to boil water for a variety of reasons, so I reckon it's a good idea to always carry a small bottle of purification tabs on your person or in your kit, just in case.... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE