Titanium mug

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,
I'm after buying a titanium mug.
Can any of you reccamend one??
They seem to differ quite a lot in price!!
May also be interested in a 2nd one for the right price!!
Cheers
Steve

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Unless your looking to save the absolute last gram of weight i would recommend a aluminium cup instead.

No doubt Ti cups tend to be a noggin lighter, but in my experience they tend to conduct heat a lot less efficiently than aluminium, so you end up with a cup that gets hot in one spot VERY quickly, this then tends to burn the food in that area.

With aluminium the heat tends to spread around the cup better, so you don't tend to burn the bottom of the cup as easily.

I have Ti cups and i do use them, if i had to buy again though i'd buy aluminium.

Cheers
Mark

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm told the very heat conductive properties you mention make it better as a mug as the rim doesn't get so hot but still poor as a cooking pot (but fine for boiling water). The Alpkit Ti mug seems to be good

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Steve

Evernew are good as you can add pots in the future that will nest as noted above. To be honest though Ti is Ti and I've never come across a bad one.

I tend to use an MSR Ti kettle but a plastic smart cafe mug. I've still not found the ideal cook pot so the search goes on .

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Have a good look around on the net & ebay. I picked up a Snowpeak 600 for £12 last year in a random sale - can't remember where though. They're OK for a brew but bugger all else IMO for reasons already stated.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Look at snowpeak stuff, tamarak sell it. I have a double walled one. 12 quid though is an awesome price surly mispriced by vendor. Keeps brew hot for long enough to counter kids needing attention etc.

It is a shame no one in uk stocks all the snowpeak ranges some of the stuff on the japanese website is amazing. Allowing glamping with capitals.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Snow peak 700ml pot cup for me, fits a nalagene bottle perfectly inside it and comes with a lid incase you want to use it for boiling

I use ti pots and cups for cooking proper food in and they work fine as long as you take a little time to learn how to use them

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for all the replys guys, 700ml snow peak cup, thats a not a mug thats a flask lol!!!
I have been looking on alpkit, they have got an offer on if you buy the 1.3 ti pot you get the mug free.
£40 for both. Thats not bad really!!
My only concern is tha it states its made of 0.7mm titanium.
Tbh I dont no anything about titanium and it might be perfectly fine, but it does seem thin!!
@cbr6fs, alumininum sounds interesting, any idea where I can see one?
Cheers
Steve

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm on an evernew 900 pot at the moment with nesting frying pan and ti cup. I have the MSR Titan too. The evernew is better and lighter IMO, Its more versatile. My lifeventure Ti mug isnt that useful for me, but still good if you just want a standard size mug.

Ti makes a much better mug than ally IMO, it doesn't burn your lips when you drink hot coffee as its a bad conductor of heat at room temperatures.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'm on an evernew 900 pot at the moment with nesting frying pan and ti cup. I have the MSR Titan too. The evernew is better and lighter IMO, Its more versatile. My lifeventure Ti mug isnt that useful for me, but still good if you just want a standard size mug.

Ti makes a much better mug than ally IMO, it doesn't burn your lips when you drink hot coffee as its a bad conductor of heat at room temperatures.

I knew my oricle would pop up when I started talking about titanium lol!!!
Yeah I did see you snapped up the evernew stuff on here a while ago mate, it was hard but I stopped myself!!
Does that mean you ti mug is up for sale???

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have an Alpkits one, it's held up awesomely, especially considering how much I've used it. Infact it's right beside just now, I like it so much I use it at home too ;)

The lid is a bit bunk, would be nice if it stayed on more securely, and the handle can get pretty hot (to be expected I guess)

I've done a fair bit of solo cooking with it and it does okay even with the heat distribution. I found if I raked coals up the sides it did better than just putting it straight ontop.

Thinking about it now what I probably should have done was found a big Ti kettle for water (and cooking at a push), and coupled it with an aluminium mug.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I knew my oricle would pop up when I started talking about titanium lol!!!
Yeah I did see you snapped up the evernew stuff on here a while ago mate, it was hard but I stopped myself!!
Does that mean you ti mug is up for sale???

:D Yes mate, I think the Titan may be looking for another home soon.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've gone off my ti mugs a bit, I'm getting a bit fed up with the metallic taste it gives my coffee. Using Kenco 3-in-1s it's bad enough as it is.

I've switched back to a plastic mug for hiking trips and dug out a couple of kuksas for bushy stuff, the plastic/pine Kupilka is my fave at the moment.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I've gone off my ti mugs a bit, I'm getting a bit fed up with the metallic taste it gives my coffee. Using Kenco 3-in-1s it's bad enough as it is.

I've switched back to a plastic mug for hiking trips and dug out a couple of kuksas for bushy stuff, the plastic/pine Kupilka is my fave at the moment.

I see, tbh I didnt realise about a metallic after taste!!!
I use a stainless steel cup for work and dont get an aftertaste or is it totally different because is titanium??
Cheers for the heads up though rich!!
May yet resort to a folding kuksa or similar!!
Cheers
Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm used to using proper mugs all day at work, I could taste the difference taking the ti mug away at weekends.

Try Petes cup and see what you think, my 400ml MSR Titan mug comes in around 50g, the Gsi plastic mug I've switched to is more like 75g, the Kupilka is only 85 'ish so not exactly heavy.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They do taste metallic but that taste is pure titanium lovelyness :)

FWIW, I have some plastic containers with a snap lid that fit perfectly inside the Titan kettle or evernew. They make good (huge) mugs and only weigh 25g with the lid. Welcome to a couple, they're marmite branded too.

Mmmmnn........... titanium and marmite flavoured coffeeee......... Om nom nom :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE