Titanium Canteen Set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As materials they have densities:
Al= 2.7
Ti= 4.4
SS=7.9
But as the wall thicknesses are not equal that has to be taken into consideration. Generally my experience is that Al is lightest Ti next and SS heaviest but there are cases to the contrary. Al is a fairly good conductor of heat, SS so and so and Ti is bad, relatively speaking. I think that is the reason for some people not liking Ti for food warming, it tends to get hot at the flame and not conduct it wider.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
When the Soviet Union imploded a lot of the industrial military hardware producers had to find something else. I first saw these produced by a St Petersburg aerospace factory, they used very high grade Ti. Cost was next to nothing, when they found out about capitalism they looked for the highest price anybody anywhere asked for a product and priced theirs accordingly.

Some 15 years ago Estonia was producing a lot of kitchen furniture imported to Finland then they started to raise prices until one day they were higher than the ones produced in Finland. Next week the lorries started to import those into Estonia, somehow they complained about it as unfair. Then there was big head lines in Baltic News: "Estonians, welcome to market economy." They were not amused but learned their lesson.

Making a spade out of Ti is slightly idiotic.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But its lightweight.

And it doesnt transmit heat well; I think making a pot out of Ti is foolish

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Very off topic but wasn’t there a story about the US needing titanium, USSR or post USSR needing dollars. In order to make it work the Russians made spades and exported them to the US.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very off topic but wasn’t there a story about the US needing titanium, USSR or post USSR needing dollars. In order to make it work the Russians made spades and exported them to the US.
The US needed Ti to manufacture the SR71 (A12) (YF12) Blackbird, most of it came from the Soviet Union via various channels

Reactions: SCOMAN

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No pun intended but it all boils down to technique, use of appropriate burners that spread the heat out rather than concentrate it at one point or a ring, heating things up slower and being prepared to stir it more often, constantly even. Adding more water than the recipe requires helps if you fo insist on wacking the stove up to full. Most of the ti pots I have are non stick Evernew ones and perhaps the coating makes a difference but so long as you put sufficient oil in you can do fry ups in them easy. Most times all you need to do is bring whatever it is up to temperature stirring like mad then slap it in a pot cozy to finish cooking.

I've not used hard anodized aluminium much so I cant say al ot about that but I've known old school sluminium pans corrode remarkably easy in conditions were its hard to keep them bone dry when not being used, leaving pits that are hard to clean and are potentially germ traps. small scratches on my old MSR Titan pot seam to fill, themselves in over time. Also water kept in Aluminium or steel containers seams to taint after a short time although that may be just me / what I'm suspectable to.

The cost of ti is horrendous but since I'm of a age now when good kit will outlast me what the hell? I wont be replacing any of it and even a small reduction in my burden Is a good thing, although stopping filling my face so much would have a much greater effect I guess....

The TSR-2 was partly made of ti as well, one of the great might have beens of British aviation. I've a few rivets left over from the project they were selling off for funds at RAF Cosford where they have one.

I digress. In my experience Ti is no more difficult to cook with than a thin steel wok. Search the internet and you'll find no end of examples of folks cooking elaborate dishes in the field using ti pots.

Nobodies making anyone buy or use Ti pots, perhaps even some aint capable of using them, I've known folk who can burn water. But if you don't mind poncing about a bit more they are a perfectly viable option.

ATB

Tom

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Of all the titanium issues, will never give up my crusader mk1 mug. My mug and cook pot for everything.
It’s a case of bombproof or lightweight and with the crusader I don’t care it gets packed for a day trip never mind a few days.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Aluminium and titanium are similar if used for bottles.

But you don't burn your lips if you drink from a titanium mug. Steel is OK too, by the way, but heavier than aluminium or titanium.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I recently bought the Boundless Voyage Titanium mess kit (link below), also worth searching for it under 'Ibasingo titanium' as its the same kit and often cheaper. I paid £31 for it as there was an offer on at the time. It's my first foray into titanium cookware and have to say that it's been pretty good.
I love the fact that it nests with my nalgene oasis water bottle and makes for a very light and portable cookset. My intention is to keep this primarily for hiking adventures when it's preferable to keep the weight down.
I will say that the two containers combined are notably lighter than the steel USGI cup that also nests with the same bottle. I don't know how it compares to aluminium cookware as I don't have any!
I think the little container is a really useful addition too, I've been using for my porridge and am sure it will also be ideal when cooking up simple things like beans or tinned chilli/curry etc.
Being titanium, some care is needed when cooking, but personally, I find that is the case with most cookware. However, seeing as I'm only intending to use this for hiking adventures, I'm highly unlikely to do anything more intricate than cooking up some noodles or a tin of chilli.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boundless-...m&qid=1614676044&sprefix=bound,aps,186&sr=8-5

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I bought an anodized ali set of pots from Asda in the sale last year,5 quid i think i paid for them,Ozark brand, i do find they are better for cooking beans or whatever,less sticking to pot equals less burnt pot.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I actually picked up that canteen the other day.
It's very nice.
Comparing it to the Pathfinder SS canteen set (I've omitted the stove from the steel set and the bowl from the Ti set, so it's bottle, lid, cup and lid for both) It comes to 625g for Stainless Steel and 309g for Titanium.

As usual for Ti it seems to follow the usual rule of "Half the weight for twice the price"

Still a very nice set though.
The canteen pouch it comes with seems a little poor, but I'm not going to be using it. I'll be carrying it in a Helikon-Tex essentials bag.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Like most on here I’ve picked up my share of various kit, never any TI though not because I’ve ever had anything against TI I’ve just always been put off by the costs. I did fancy trying the Heavy Cover canteen set when they were first launched just never got around to it. As I say I’ve various set ups but the one I always return to and use most is my SS Crusader set, it just works and really is to use the overused term bomb proof. I don’t think it’s been bettered.

Reactions: DocG and Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE