Tips for running a stove and flue in a synthetic tipi/laavu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd pack a smaller tent too for the Shiel trip, some of the possible camping locations were a bit of a squeeze when we did it a couple of years ago. You might struggle with the teepee on some of the small beaches

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Thanks Shewie- it's a base-camp trip to the big beach campsite, so we should be OK. I remember Ruba Na Airde being impossible for big tents though.
Pics of the set-up:

DSC_0998.jpg

DSC_1000.jpg

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
hi all
been following this thread closely.i'm looking at getting the frontier stove and the bergens 4-6 person as itll be just me or maybe one other so should be cosy with some admin room.i've seen this set up and like it but didnt take notice of the mesh diametre to protect the the lavuu material.is there an optimum size or is it trial and error.
cheers ade

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
hi all
been following this thread closely.i'm looking at getting the frontier stove and the bergens 4-6 person as itll be just me or maybe one other so should be cosy with some admin room.i've seen this set up and like it but didnt take notice of the mesh diametre to protect the the lavuu material.is there an optimum size or is it trial and error.
cheers ade

Mine isn't mesh at all. I have a titanium sleeve. To be honest I think the trick is to get the distance between sleeve and chimney right rather than the mesh size. Titanium conducts heat very well so I'd guess that coarse holes, fine holes, solid makes no difference.

Cheers!

Huon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE