Stove in a bergans tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi all,I have a bergan of norway 6/8 man tipi tent that I brought from ray mears site last year and I would like to put a frontier stove in there for the up and coming winter.Has anyone got any experience with putting a frontier stove in one.would I need extra flue sections,I think there is a section you can buy to wrap the hood around to stop it melting.
cheers Andy.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Should be no problem putting the frontier stove in your tipi. But you definitely need the cowling section to keep the tent fabric from coming into contact with the flue. I've got a stainless steel sleeve cowling (which has a gap between it and the flue of about 2 inches all round) for my frontier stove as unlike other stove manufacturers Anevay didn't make one themselves. Now they seem to have listened and understood that people want to use a frontier stove n their tipis and addressed this. I think the way they have gone is to produce a flue section with built on helical vanes that hold the fabric away from the flue itself. With that and enough extra sections to clear your tipi plus a spark arrester (also a must) and you should be good to go.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Thank you herbalist1
,I have been looking for a something to hold the material away,a cowling section,I know I have seen them for sale before somewhere.Anychance you could send a link to where I can buy one.
Thank Andy.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I'm not sure I can use that in my lavvu,I'm sure someone sold a section that held the lavvu fabric away,the lavvus have a removable hood/peak the flue section will go up through that and the hood wrapped around said section.it is not a canvas,it's made from normal tent material.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I'm not sure I can use that in my lavvu,I'm sure someone sold a section that held the lavvu fabric away,the lavvus have a removable hood/peak the flue section will go up through that and the hood wrapped around said section.it is not a canvas,it's made from normal tent material.

9783584c9932dc0f1f8308296520eff1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have 3x different types. One is double skinned/insulated wall flue. The other is from a army field stove and has a outer sleeve with holes in it and two handle to assist lifting it on and off. A bit heave and 4"inch diameter. The last one came with a stove and flue I bought from a mender on here. It's just a sleeve slightly wider than the flue pipe with three angled steel strips riveted to it on the inside. The one in the link looks adequate but I don't like the openness of it for safety, but it must work fine.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
If you don't fancy the tipi sleeve then I have seen diy insulated flues along the lines of the first of didicoy's suggestions - simply a larger diameter piece of metal tubing (e.g. a large catering tin?) packed with heatproof rockwool or a fireblanket and slid over the main flue.

You can experiment with different diameters, different insulation (or none) to be confident it works before trying the stove in the lavvu.

Anevay make it clear that they do not recommend using their stoves in tents made of manmade fabric and presumably you have got the spark arrester cap which also has guy line attachment points.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
If you don't fancy the tipi sleeve then I have seen diy insulated flues along the lines of the first of didicoy's suggestions - simply a larger diameter piece of metal tubing (e.g. a large catering tin?) packed with heatproof rockwool or a fireblanket and slid over the main flue.

You can experiment with different diameters, different insulation (or none) to be confident it works before trying the stove in the lavvu.

Anevay make it clear that they do not recommend using their stoves in tents made of manmade fabric and presumably you have got the spark arrester cap which also has guy line attachment points.

Some good ideas there thank you,i may just come up with a diy solution.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks

That sleeve is the manufacturers part for using the frontier stove in a tipi and the op asked for that info. But as you say, alternatives are possible. I've got a larger stainless steel tube that fixes over the flue and is held in place with bolts that also function to hold the tube an equal distance away from the flue all way round. If you have sufficient space between the outer tube and the flue, then you don't need any insulation between the two. The gap allows hot air to escape out of he top and draws up cooler air which helps to cool the shield. Note that no manufacturer of tipi stoves that I'm aware of produces a heat shield that is insulated.

It is true that Anevay don't recmmend the frontier stove for use in tents of manmade fabric. I guess they have to do that because some people would try to put them in tents that are totally unsuitable. The important thing to check is whether the manufacturer of your tent says it is suitable for use with a stove!
Manufacturers like tentipi and Helsport (which I have) produce their own stoves so obviously these tents are suitable. But if you are using a stove that wasn't specifically made for your tent, you do need to make sure that you have a suitable heat shield on the flue where it passes through the tipi opening and a spark arrester.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
we have a frontier in our tentipi. and last year i bought 2 of their tipi sleeves for it as, due to the height, 1 was not quite enough. They do work very well and used in conduction with the spark arrestor, i've never had any problems. (granted, mine is a poly cotton version), but i can't see it being a problem in your tipi.
just be aware that in heavy rain, you will get some dripping coming through. i'm thinking some sort of mod is required.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Has the Bergans Tipi/Lavvo been discontinued? It doesn't seem to be listed on the Bergans website or available on any of the usual UK outlets.

If they have been discontinued what are the alternatives?

Cheers. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE