Tips for bow drill in the snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Hey folks!

Hope you will enjoy that vid I make today, showing some tips for bow drill in deep snow.
[video=youtube;lDoS8QKVgMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDoS8QKVgMg[/video]

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I just finished watching it. My hats of to you! Great job. Nice touch with speeding the footage up too, so you can still see the whole process. If I might make a suggestion, maybe you could do more of a close-up on the actual carving and forming of an ember? But that's just my opinion. Thanks for the effort of making such a useful video. Your dogs are cute btw:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Excellent vid - nice to see someone starting from scratch, rather than bringing the kit with them (which seems to defeat the object - might as well pack a Bic!)

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
I just finished watching it. My hats of to you! Great job. Nice touch with speeding the footage up too, so you can still see the whole process. If I might make a suggestion, maybe you could do more of a close-up on the actual carving and forming of an ember? But that's just my opinion. Thanks for the effort of making such a useful video. Your dogs are cute btw:)

Thanks man and I really appreciate suggestion, I dont see them as a negative point.

I was also disapointed when I arrived home and watched the video on the screen ... Only then I realised the camera was very far! I did'nt want to Crop the video and loose a lot of the quality, but it was a really hard decision when editing the video ... crop and make it closer, or keep a quality... As all of my other video are 99% very close up, I tought this time I did'nt need to show all the detail, only the talk should be enough.

But I totally agree with you man, thats not the result I was exactly looking for.

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Excellent vid - nice to see someone starting from scratch, rather than bringing the kit with them (which seems to defeat the object - might as well pack a Bic!)

Haha, Amen to that my friend ... I never understood why bringing a set in the forest :) That kill the magic to me ...

In Thousand of friction fire, I never used a set more than one time

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding

Morning Andy, I wonder why sales of ferro rods and fire pistons are so high? Always pays to have a back up as you know. And a red hot coal is better than sparks. I'm only chippin in as I know a couple of folk with pocket sized bow drills that are very efficient ;)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Morning Cedrik, thanks for the video. The length of the video shows how much effort and preparation you really have to put in, unlike some 3 minute wonders on zootube ;)

The bit about changing holes on your pressure block is only specific to using a set constructed from soft woods. Might be worth a mention?

I've clicked the like button and will subscribe to your channel. Thanks :thumbup:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Morning Andy, I wonder why sales of ferro rods and fire pistons are so high? Always pays to have a back up as you know. And a red hot coal is better than sparks. I'm only chippin in as I know a couple of folk with pocket sized bow drills that are very efficient ;)

:) Reality is that carrying 3 Bics and a bit of inner tube is always going to be a more certain way of getting fire reliably and repeatably than relying on finding dry tinder or ferro rod sparks! Why do we buy them? Because its fun to play with of course! (and a ferro rod is great for lighting Trangias ...) But thats one of the reasons why this video is so good - it shows ways of getting fire from the natural surroundings, rather than relying on bringing in stuff. And I just love the confidence shown when he casually throws his equipment on the fire at the end on the basis that he can always make another one just as good in a few minutes! Brilliant!

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
I understand your point Chiseller but I really share Andy point. The reason why we buy Magnesium bar or ferro rod is because it is fun ... Problem with BIC is they can stop working because of water ... which is not a problem in 2 freezing ziploc bag, and 10 backup BIC for the price of a ferro rod ... The fun of of friction fire as said by Andy is to work with material found in the forest ... It make me feel like im living WITH the forest, not against it ... Even after thousand and Thousand of friction I still get these butterfly, which is not the case with BIC, Ferro rod or even a bow drill/ hand drill set bring from home.

Hey Niels I was thinking about it ... if you have the chance to have a HDMI cable, plug your computer to your TV screen, my video are in super high definition and you will have the same quality on a 60 inch screen than on the 15 inch computer screen. That way you might see more the detail. Just an option I wanted to give you if you have the time and material to do it.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I understand your point Chiseller but I really share Andy point. The reason why we buy Magnesium bar or ferro rod is because it is fun ... Problem with BIC is they can stop working because of water ... which is not a problem in 2 freezing ziploc bag, and 10 backup BIC for the price of a ferro rod ... The fun of of friction fire as said by Andy is to work with material found in the forest ... It make me feel like im living WITH the forest, not against it ... Even after thousand and Thousand of friction I still get these butterfly, which is not the case with BIC, Ferro rod or even a bow drill/ hand drill set bring from home.

Hey Niels I was thinking about it ... if you have the chance to have a HDMI cable, plug your computer to your TV screen, my video are in super high definition and you will have the same quality on a 60 inch screen than on the 15 inch computer screen. That way you might see more the detail. Just an option I wanted to give you if you have the time and material to do it.

No I will get of my backside and do it for real and it will be the best definition possible!:)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sorry gents, no critic meant I tried to mean....its aswell carrying or could be aswell carrying a bow set as a back up as opposed to a BIC or ferro. When you've seen someone use a pocket size bow, it blows you away ....or it did me ;) I've also seen someone start a fire using just the dull sparks from a clipper!

Papa Tac

Jul 13, 2012
Codroy Valley, NL, Canada
Great vid! Nice work there.
I'm planning on my first bow drill fire in the coming week or so - time is always at a premium... - and you addressed my questions about using fir and soft woods (which make up most of our forest)
The setting reminded me of my own here in Newfoundland, so watching this video on a night shift over New Year's Eve was good for the soul.
You made it look trop facile - meme un anglo pourrait le faire.
Big words from a Newfie. I'll do it and let you know. Cheers!
Happy New Year / Bonne Annee
Salut

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

I agree that Cedrik's video is excellent in terms of the knowledge and confidence he demonstrates. I don't think there is anything wrong in having a ready-made kit though; after all it had to be done from scratch originally. There is no way that early communities made their firelighting kit from scratch each time. Yes they needed to replace something when it broke or wore out but they were no different to us; once you have a working tool that makes an every day task easy then keep using it.

Let's face it; all of us that like to practice these old methods don't need to know any of it. As you say, these days we could just bring a disposable lighter but we choose not to because it is satisfying and rewarding to become proficient at a very old skill. Cedrik is so good at it that he can burn his kit every time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE