tipi living!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 10, 2007
north london
Hi all,

Would anyone be able to kindly give me advice on how to make a traditional tipi? Its something I have thought of doing for some time now, but never been able to do for one reason or another.

They totally fascinate me, and to camp throughout the summer in one rather than under plastic, would be truely amazing......my 8 yr old son would love it too! (girlfriend yet to comment)

Many thanks

Dane

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have you seen the book "The Indian Tipi, it's history construction and use " fully illustrated, by Reginald and Gladys Laubin. copyright 1957. SBN 345-25034-6-195.
Its got the lot!
Patterns for several tribal variations, how to build tipi furniture etc etc etc.
Great book for any fan of tipis.
If you have trouble finding a copy I could be persueded to part with mine... as my van needs a new gearbox!
John

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Tipis are simply magic. The only advice I have to give is to get one with a reasonably large diameter as smoke is really a problem in the smaller ones. You can have a stove instead of an open fire but it dosen't have the same magic.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I know a couple who bought some land, set up a tipi, and lived debt free while they built a house. the tipi was very liveable.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
One of the smoke issues is that peoples use all kinds of woods, some not even dry, your going to get smoke. Make your fire smaller, less consuming and if still to drafty bank the tipi. Use the top flaps to draw the smoke away by repositioning then to the wind direction, not into but away to draw from the tipi's interior fire. Fires were only used in cold weather otherwise they cooked outdoors (in a tipi)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Don't forget, to get the best draught to draw the smoke up and out of the tipi you need a dew cloth liner. A dew cloth isn't an add on extra, it should be part of the whole setup.

Eric

Jun 10, 2007
north london
Tipis are simply magic. The only advice I have to give is to get one with a reasonably large diameter as smoke is really a problem in the smaller ones. You can have a stove instead of an open fire but it dosen't have the same magic.

Could I thank everyone for their enthusiasm and advice its much appreciated! Girlfriends on board now!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE